Selwood/Mundy replacements in order (Poll)

Started by Andrew, June 15, 2011, 07:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From a DT League perspective, who's the BEST replacement overall?

Boyd ($437.9k, 1 bye)
19 (27.9%)
Ablett ($434.5k, NO byes)
32 (47.1%)
Shiels ($405.8k, 1 bye from popular team)
6 (8.8%)
Rischitelli ($395.3k, NO byes)
2 (2.9%)
Mitchell ($388k, 1 bye from popular team)
9 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: June 17, 2011, 07:42:43 PM

Andrew

Pretty simple: who's the BEST replacement in your eyes - not considering your team or trades - for someone trying to do as well as they can in DT leagues?

I've not included Collingwood players as they've got the bye this week and would seemingly kill any team who replaced Selwood/Mundy with Swan/Pendlebury. No Jobe Watson due to DT grand final bye.

The order I put the 5 I've named in would be:

1. Boyd, $437.9k (consistency along with 130+ scoring potential but Bulldogs struggling)
2. Ablett $434.5k (no byes and recent scoring is making him difficult to overlook - will he get rested in the run home though?)
3. Mitchell $388k (great price and a recent pickup in form as well as 2 fixtures v Gold Coast starting this week)
4. Rischitelli $395k (no byes and you know what you'll get but not going to score you 130+)
5. Shiels $405.8k (largely an unknown quantity but doing so well and a good run home)

I'm personally wresting between picking up Ablett & Mitchell for Selwood.

Before I finish, I'd like to mention Bartel. He'd probably be 6th choice on this list due to great value ($354k), but I'm not picking him due to the rotation policy the veterans are on down at Geelong. Obviously he won't get rested in Selwood's absence, but as soon as he returns in round 17, Geelong go up to Brisbane. Expect Bartel to get rested just like Enright did when Geelong played Gold Coast up there. Oh, and Scully 7th for what it's worth.

thanme

Ablett for me! No byes, and his recent form is unreal. I think he'll keep it up and has no real reason to be rested this year.

Andrew

Quote from: thanme on June 15, 2011, 08:03:47 PM
Ablett for me! No byes, and his recent form is unreal. I think he'll keep it up and has no real reason to be rested this year.

I hope your right because I'm leaning more & more towards him over Mitchell. I've already got Boyd but not many trades/cash so the difference in value between Ablett & Mitchell comes into it but Ablett looks like he could average 120 from here. So tough and the Hawks v GC fixture just makes it tougher, with Zac Smith out... not good for Ablett's scoring?

someguy

Few things to consider about Ablett:

• 3 out of his 4 tons have come against bottom eight teams (North, Bulldogs, and Crows)
  • He will be the focus of opposition teams each and every week due to the lack of support around him
  • Has a nice run home for DT finals: Brisbane (88.2 career average), Adelaide (78.8 - 156 this year), Melbourne (83.7 - 4/5 tons past 5 matches) and Hawthorn (88.6 - tonned up in each of past 5)

I'm not saying whether or not to get him, just pointing out some facts :)

Jazz-man

HTL

I'm tossing up between Boyd and Ablett atm (already have Mitchell).

djff

ablett for me. with no byes that means no planning around them.

Andrew

Quote from: someguy on June 16, 2011, 12:07:22 AM

• 3 out of his 4 tons have come against bottom eight teams (North, Bulldogs, and Crows)
  • He will be the focus of opposition teams each and every week due to the lack of support around him
  • Has a nice run home for DT finals: Brisbane (88.2 career average), Adelaide (78.8 - 156 this year), Melbourne (83.7 - 4/5 tons past 5 matches) and Hawthorn (88.6 - tonned up in each of past 5)

Thanks for those facts. On the first point, he scored poorly against poor sides (80 in the win against Port??) until that big score v the Crows, indicating to me it has been a case of regaining form & fitness for Gary. We all know how good a player and how good a DT scorer he is, and it appears that not having the support cast around him just means he's more of a go-to man than what he was at Geelong. He can deal with a tag (unlike Mitchell) and the lack of a bye makes him too hard to ignore really. We all knew at the start of the season that Ablett would be a good pickup around this time once he'd regained fitness and there's not too much changing that line of thinking for mine. When I've already got Boyd & Thompson, Ablett is the next best.

Quote from: Jazz-man on June 16, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
do you already have Chappy?

Yes. Unfortunately I paid $404k for him when Tapscott got injured. A shocking trade when I could've gotten Ablett for less 2-3 weeks later, or Steve Johnson for less at the time.

GinoGod

Quote from: Andrew on June 16, 2011, 02:40:34 PM

Ablett is the most likely choice but he has never played a full season, even though he doesnt need to be rested but general soreness does come into it

Thanks for those facts. On the first point, he scored poorly against poor sides (80 in the win against Port??) until that big score v the Crows, indicating to me it has been a case of regaining form & fitness for Gary. We all know how good a player and how good a DT scorer he is, and it appears that not having the support cast around him just means he's more of a go-to man than what he was at Geelong. He can deal with a tag (unlike Mitchell) and the lack of a bye makes him too hard to ignore really. We all knew at the start of the season that Ablett would be a good pickup around this time once he'd regained fitness and there's not too much changing that line of thinking for mine. When I've already got Boyd & Thompson, Ablett is the next best.

Quote from: Jazz-man on June 16, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
do you already have Chappy?

Yes. Unfortunately I paid $404k for him when Tapscott got injured. A shocking trade when I could've gotten Ablett for less 2-3 weeks later, or Steve Johnson for less at the time.

someguy

Quote from: Andrew on June 16, 2011, 02:40:34 PM

Port Adelaide, despite being one of the worst teams in the league, often manages to limit the effectiveness (and DT scoring) of the oppositions top players (Judd, Pavlich, Swallow spring to mind), so Ablett's 83 is not a huge surprise (he was also coming back from a minor calf injury). Against the Lions his poor score was mostly due to the knocks he picked up during the game. Against a then inform Essendon and top 4 sides, Geelong and Carlton, he struggled (DT wise) with scores of 81, 92 and 96 respectively (struggle being relative to the high expectations we have of Ablett/elite premiums). He was tagged in each of these matches (although the Geelong game was more of a team effort as opposed to a single player running with him).

All that said, i'll probably be picking him up simply due to his superb run home during the DT finals plus he has no more byes to worry about.

Andrew

Yeah while I'm getting him I've definately got my concerns about Ablett too, but no one is perfect in 2011 - not even Dane Swan!

Ziplock

Pendles and boyd have been pretty close to perfect :P

Andrew

Quote from: Ziplock on June 17, 2011, 06:17:58 PM
Pendles and boyd have been pretty close to perfect :P

Pendles wouldn't be good to have this week with all the other premium outs. 2 DT league game byes as well as Eliminator, not perfect. Boyd was expensive and has dropped 40k from his original price and has already pulled 3 scores under 95. That being said, I've got the big C on him for tonight :D

Alka

Mitchell's popularity surprises me seeing how he's very vulnerable to a tag.
I've said it a few times now, but I'm a big fan of Redden - would rather him in my team than Montags tbh, but lack of trades prevents it.

Anyway that said, no one can look past Ablett and that's why he's my replacement for Selwood this week.