Main Menu

Finals

Started by Holz, June 15, 2011, 06:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

I have been going over the games left and does anyone think the roos can scrape into the finals. Soon we will have a a full team and we finally have a decent percentage.

Essendon: Good chance of winning
Port: Have to Win
Stkilda: Chance of winning
Collingwood: loss
Dogs: good chance of winning
Lions: With a full team should be favourite
Carlton: loss
Hawks: loss
Freo: in melbourne have a good chance
Stkilda: chance of winning
Richmond: should win.

If only the 4 point loss to the eagles and the 1 point loss to sydney went the other way i would say the roos would have a great chance of making finals.

roo boys!

Yes, I think we do have quite a good chance. I have all along.

I think the fact we finished 9th only by percentage last year, with Petrie out for basically the whole season, means that if we didn't make finals this year then that would be a bit disappointing.  Once Lindsay can kick straight, something he is working on very hard, we will have a powerful forward line.

I think we can make it into the finals.

The key is not getting humiliated by Collingwood when we play them. Last year our percentage was screwed because Geelong and Collingwood killed us. Percentage is critical.

Holz

the key is beating stkilda at least 1 out of the 2 games and beating teams we are better than, Richmond should have been a win

roo boys!

Richmond, West Coast, Brisbane and Sydney we all let go in the last quarter. Next time we meet some of these teams, we should beat at least a couple of them.

AFEV

You are a chance.
Problem is, you struggle against top 8 teams. If you do make it it will be hard for you to make it past the first round IMHO.

This week is critical. A win and your squad will have complete faith in their ability to make top 8, a loss and well...You know the story.

Holz

Quote from: Sid on June 16, 2011, 10:32:00 AM
You are a chance.
Problem is, you struggle against top 8 teams. If you do make it it will be hard for you to make it past the first round IMHO.

This week is critical. A win and your squad will have complete faith in their ability to make top 8, a loss and well...You know the story.

i would say we strugle aginast top 4 teams, porbably much worse than anyoneelse. i dont min our chances against teams like essendon, eagles, fre etc.. thats why i expect essendon to go down this week. Its the cats, collingwood, carlton and hawks games that im worried about for % purpopses.

roo boys!

Quote from: Sid on June 16, 2011, 10:32:00 AM
You are a chance.

I don't really care if we make the finals and get smashed by 10 goals the first week, I would just be happy to make finals. Then next year push for top 6, then top 4, Prelims etc etc, its all a gradual process.

AFEV

Don't underestimate Essendon :P
'Expecting' to win against...I'd still rate us a better finals chance than.

roo boys!

Holz

Quote from: Sid on June 16, 2011, 08:35:51 PM
Don't underestimate Essendon :P
'Expecting' to win against...I'd still rate us a better finals chance than.

essendon are overated the roos are probably the most underated if one of our forwards (probably thomas) had kicked 2 goals instead of 2 points) and we had petrie or goldy round 1 we would be sitting 5  and people would consider us a top 4 chance. In truth there isnt much difference in 5-12 and any team could really finish in the 8.

Anyone could win this week but in my opinion roos have the better team.

AFEV

They wouldn't be considering you a top 4 team, because you have said yourself you guys can't beat top 4 teams, so how could you be one? I wouldn't say we are overrated, after our start to the year our supporters and the media started to develop unrealistic expectations for us, and with that pressure, and people expecting us to perform - we failed.
The bye screwed us over, we lost (as many teams have) the week after, and have struggled without our best players at the height of their power.
The fact that we have had (long term and the last few weeks) Winderlich, Dempsey, Pears, Watson, Hocking, Hurley & Stanton out has hurt us. They are our core players structurally, and through the middle/running back. I think we can finish the season strong, and although the R24 bye won't help, I believe we can make finals.

roo boys!

I don't think people would be considering North a top four chance just yet. But, if we had have won a few of the games we let go, we could be in a position around 5th or 6th. But the media would all be saying "They can't keep it up all year" or "Not serious top four contenders" because we are always underestimated. In saying that, in a few years we will be top four contenders, but this year I would just be happy to make finals.

AFEV

Yes you certainly are a chance to make top 4 in a few years. In fact when you look a bit closer North & Essendon are similar in many ways.

You really need to find a better forward prospect than Hansen...

roo boys!

Hansen out this week :)

Hmac in soon, Petrie and the resting ruckman (Hmac or Goldy) would be good I reckon, but for a prospect, we could have really snaffled Darling :'(

AFEV

He would have been useful but he was a big risk with his off field issues with your financial state (at the time) you couldn't afford to turn away members.
Seems petty but if he kept doing some of the stuff he did as a junior he would be out on his ass after a season anyway. Big risk involved in drafting him. Between that and being a 191 cm 'KPP' he actually could have slipped to third round.

Of course now everyone wants him :P