Main Menu

Selwood

Started by Memphistopheles, June 14, 2011, 12:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For those who have him what are you doing?

Trade - 4 weeks too long
36 (75%)
Hold - cover him for 4 weeks
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Andrew

Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on June 14, 2011, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: Bluke on June 14, 2011, 12:55:15 PM
Quote from: Eagle boy on June 14, 2011, 12:38:35 PM
Dirty player. Dirty play. Was lucky to only get 3 weeks. He should cop it on the chin and do the time.

How would you know mate? You cant even tell from the footage what happened. All he might have down is give him a slap (which is the most likely thing to have happened given the injury) and for all you know Guerra provoked him. When has any one been rubbed out for 3 weeks for a slap over the ears?

Hawthorn are just dirty because they cant beat Geelong and they will do anything to have the last laugh.

Bluke that last comment was totally unnecessary, big big cheap shot. you can, and I too, do believe guerra would have provoked him so that he would retaliate, but a comment like that is totally irrelevant and low. it's got nothing to do with a
last laugh at all, and i don't think guerra would encourage him to receive weeks for it.

Bluke might be wrong but I wouldn't call it a cheap shot. Players never dob anyone in - this report/suspension has come purely from Guerra & the Hawks medical staff. You reckon the Hawks would've acted the same if they won the game?

Andrew

Quote from: djtranny on June 14, 2011, 01:25:51 PM
No amount of provocation justifies giving someone a perforated ear drum. It is fortunate that Guerra appears to be recovering quickly. Not giving a penalty only serves to show every other player in the competition that it is ok to slap/hit someone in the ear when provoked...

Selwood could get 4 weeks for slapping someone on the ear which hasn't been picked up by cameras and we're not even having people from the crowd saying they saw it/didn't see it.

Barry Hall king-hit someone in full view of cameras and everyone and only got 7 weeks. And there didn't seem to be any provocation - it was Brent Staker that he hit ffs, the only person he provokes into violence are Eagles supporters.

So what does that "serve to show the players"?

TMurphBROWNLOW

Quote from: Andrew on June 14, 2011, 01:38:15 PM
Dirty player. Dirty play. Was lucky to only get 3 weeks. He should cop it on the chin and do the time.

How would you know mate? You cant even tell from the footage what happened. All he might have down is give him a slap (which is the most likely thing to have happened given the injury) and for all you know Guerra provoked him. When has any one been rubbed out for 3 weeks for a slap over the ears?

Hawthorn are just dirty because they cant beat Geelong and they will do anything to have the last laugh.

Bluke that last comment was totally unnecessary, big big cheap shot. you can, and I too, do believe guerra would have provoked him so that he would retaliate, but a comment like that is totally irrelevant and low. it's got nothing to do with a
last laugh at all, and i don't think guerra would encourage him to receive weeks for it.

Bluke might be wrong but I wouldn't call it a cheap shot. Players never dob anyone in - this report/suspension has come purely from Guerra & the Hawks medical staff. You reckon the Hawks would've acted the same if they won the game?

it was a cheap shot, he clearly had a go at hawthorn just because we haven't beaten them in the past 6 encounters since the grand final. as for them acting if they had won, who can say for sure? justice may have been servefork Selwood for guerra's injury. they can't just let their player get injured without reporting an incident.

Andrew

Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on June 14, 2011, 01:44:44 PM

it was a cheap shot, he clearly had a go at hawthorn just because we haven't beaten them in the past 6 encounters since the grand final. as for them acting if they had won, who can say for sure? justice may have been servefork Selwood for guerra's injury. they can't just let their player get injured without reporting an incident.

Actually the same team didn't just keep quiet on Judd nearly tearing Campbell Brown's eye out, but testified in his defence.

Sorry mate I know you're passionate for your team and your premiership chances were ended on Saturday night, but Hawthorn have broke the unwritten rule here. For a team with a reputation for "unsociable football" I think it's a bit weak. And I don't think it's a cheap shot saying it.

RiOtChEsS

until the statement Guerra gave comes out, which it will... i wont be judging him

TMurphBROWNLOW

Quote from: Andrew on June 14, 2011, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: TMurphBROWNLOW on June 14, 2011, 01:44:44 PM

Actually the same team didn't just keep quiet on Judd nearly tearing Campbell Brown's eye out, but testified in his defence.

Sorry mate I know you're passionate for your team and your premiership chances were ended on Saturday night, but Hawthorn have broke the unwritten rule here. For a team with a reputation for "unsociable football" I think it's a bit weak. And I don't think it's a cheap shot saying it.

hahaha I love my hawks ;D but it is every man to their own opinion, so I still stick by my word that Bluke was out of line in saying that :)

Andrew

Mmm I didn't think I'd get a direct response to the fact that Hawthorn did the direct opposite regarding the Judd/Brown eye-gouging charge ;)

TMurphBROWNLOW

LOL shh I gave up already! go away  :P

elephants

I don't have him and it would help my ranking considerably if he failed in his challenge BUT i do hope he gets off...

YOUNGTELLICA

Not to justify what may or may not have happened, but how many did Campbell Brown get for elbowing Ward in the back of the scone behind play? Pretty sure it was less... Regardless of the decision, the MRP has to go!

BGK

Quote from: elephants on June 14, 2011, 02:46:13 PM
I don't have him and it would help my ranking considerably if he failed in his challenge BUT i do hope he gets off...

I'm not sure it would help your ranking. There wouldn't be too many that hold him. 3 weeks plus a finals bye. I won't be holding.

elephants

Quote from: bestguykai on June 14, 2011, 02:52:14 PM
Quote from: elephants on June 14, 2011, 02:46:13 PM

I'm not sure it would help your ranking. There wouldn't be too many that hold him. 3 weeks plus a finals bye. I won't be holding.
I suppose Kai but i see this as an extra trade in the bank for me and an amazingly tough round for those with more than two of Swan, Pendles, Jelwood, Daisy, Mundy, Montagna....

jvalles

What about when Hall put down Maguire behind play with a nice bread basket shot and MRP overturned the ban alllowing Hall to play in the 2005 grand final?!?!  That onewins hands down, AFL conspiracy to grow a bigger market in NSW by Swans winning the flag...or am I just a disgruntled Eagles supporter?  :-\

Andrew

Quote from: YOUNGTELLICA on June 14, 2011, 02:49:33 PM
Not to justify what may or may not have happened, but how many did Campbell Brown get for elbowing Ward in the back of the scone behind play? Pretty sure it was less... Regardless of the decision, the MRP has to go!

Another great comparison in terms of severity, and it's nearly labouring the point to bring up the Trengove tackle 3-week suspension. So yes the MRP does seem to be the problem, the old system of taking each incident on its merit was far better for this sport. Seeing as the MRP is run like a Court of Law, if Selwood does get suspended it will set a precedent which would be hard to stick by, ie. the word of a player and/or team medical staff. I haven't seen the footage and I'm not saying I think he'lll get off (as players rarely do), but it'll likely be his chance to get off.

Here's hoping he does get off anyway, because this trade really hurts me.

Quote from: jvalles on June 14, 2011, 03:26:33 PM
What about when Hall put down Maguire behind play with a nice bread basket shot and MRP overturned the ban alllowing Hall to play in the 2005 grand final?!?!  That onewins hands down, AFL conspiracy to grow a bigger market in NSW by Swans winning the flag...or am I just a disgruntled Eagles supporter?  :-\

I'm an Eagles supporter and clearly he should've gone for a week. Conspiracy? Weren't the Swans & Brisbane still enjoying a 10% greater salary cap than the rest of the competition back in 2005, due to "greater costs of living"?

As if moving to Perth hasn't always been a difficult enough sell for West Coast & Freo  :P

Alka

Guerra doesn't have Selwood in his DT, his next few opponents do, obviously.

I still think the evidence is flimsy for 4 weeks. And DT aside I hope Selwood gets off, as Andrew says it sets a precedent which isn't great (and has potential for abuse?), and it'd be a shame for the lad who is in such great form and Brownlow contention.