How I'm gonna get into the Top 10

Started by glynman90, June 08, 2011, 12:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glynman90

I reckon this trading plan I've come up with could get me into the top 10 (or fail miserably). I'm currently sitting at 92 overall but I reckon I'll need to do something a bit different to really get ahead. Also, I'm going for overall and eliminator only and don't care about league.

The plan all revolves around Aaron Sandilands who is currently listed as being out for the next 3. The game in which he is supposed to return is against the GC. Now, everyone knows the GC rucks get smashed every week so if there's one game Freo could do with Sandi that'd be it. If they do decide to rest him for it he'd miss the week after too with the bye. That'd be another 5 weeks with $410900 sitting on the sidelines.

What I am thinking of doing this week is: Sandi --> Vardy then Lower --> Scotland leaving me with $259 800.

Then I'd wait a week and after Collingwood's bye I'd go Heppell --> Shaw.

I know everyone is saying to keep Heppell but the fact is that he's done very well for a rookie but is actually only the 15th highest averaging defender. Shaw is averaging 12 points more so if they keep scoring about the same I'd make 132 points by the end of season. Doesn't sound like much but if I had 132 more points now I'd be ranked 29th.

Lastly, after Freo's bye I would trade Smith to Sandi again. Also some time during this period I'll probably get Callinan in so after round 16 I'll be left with 5 trades and a fair bit of cash.

My team would then looks like this:

Gibbs, Scotland, Deledio, Adcock, Goddard, Shaw, Enright
(Puopolo, Toy, Jacobs)

Pendlebury, Boyd, Swan, Murphy, Selwood, Montagna
(Iles, Hibberd, Smith)

Cox, Sandi
(Vardy, Curnow)

Stevie J, Goodes, Sylvia, Franklin, Riewoldt, Knights, Higgins
(Mzungu and 2 of Lynch/Harper/Callinan)

The only problem with the plan is that if Sandi comes back early it will be a waste since he will outscore Smith in the Rucks.

So is this awesome or way too risky and likely to fail horribly?

Nails

I'd prefer you leave yourself with 6 trades, 5 trades is a bit slim.

Getting rid of Heppell is stupid and if you want 20ppg more, then a simple Knights > Sylvia trade after Collingwood's bye would make sense... it'll cost 10-20K and Sylvia can average 100 vs Knights 81 = 19 ppg, not your stupid 12ppg. What a waste of a trade!

If you waste a trade getting Heppell out and run out of trades when someone gets rested, Goddard for example, you could lose 132 points just in that one doughnut! Don't be stupid, stay premium.

PowerBug

You're ruck are meant to be Cox Smith right?

I reckon it could work, you are not making you team worse.

PiggyPommy

Obviously vastly different with strategies etc but I was in a similar position to you in Supercoach.... 93rd ranked overall and I did it last week. I stayed around the same rank but I had the same chain of thought as you that I needed to do something a bit different. Hopefully I can reel the leaders in now!

Nails

If you want a point of difference for overall, trade out Swan and trade him out now.

Instead of covering him with measly 60-80 scores from a rook, you can cover him with 120s from Gazza Ablett.

Master Q

Macman5005

You probably rank higher than all the people commenting so you should just do what you have been doing and go with your gut! Obviously worked so far :)

hugebbq

consider the quality of your bench cover when the likes of gibbs/scotland, Marc, swan pendles etc have byes. Also consider that players in the top teams will get rested.

if you want the edge consider what nails said. Swan > ?? with a possible trade back in

i too am possibly going heppell > shaw after rnd 13. Would leave me with
Gibbs, Scotland, Goddard, Enright, Adcock, Deledio, Shaw (poo, Hibberd, Stanley) = better with shaw than heppell

Browny16

I like your plan, you've go to take a risk if you want to jump up in rankings.

One thing to consider is that come round 15 (West Coast bye) you'll be fielding Smith and Vardy. Do you have enough confidences in Vardy J/S and scoring (You might just lose all the points you gained if he's not playing)

Have you considered Griffin he's only 204k. Hes just as likely to make you as much money give you better coverage in round 15 then vardy and has added insurance if sandi get injured again or they decide to rest him

glynman90

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote from: Nails on June 08, 2011, 12:11:58 PM
I'd prefer you leave yourself with 6 trades, 5 trades is a bit slim.

Getting rid of Heppell is stupid and if you want 20ppg more, then a simple Knights > Sylvia trade after Collingwood's bye would make sense... it'll cost 10-20K and Sylvia can average 100 vs Knights 81 = 19 ppg, not your stupid 12ppg. What a waste of a trade!

If you waste a trade getting Heppell out and run out of trades when someone gets rested, Goddard for example, you could lose 132 points just in that one doughnut! Don't be stupid, stay premium.

You're right, I'd only have 5 trades for 8 rounds which means I'd wanna be lucky with injuries. Also I've already got Sylvia.

Quote from: Master Q on June 08, 2011, 12:46:54 PM
I'm not a fan of that plan...

Yeh there are lot's of things that could go wrong but why specifically aren't you a fan?

Quote from: hugebbq on June 08, 2011, 01:05:16 PM
consider the quality of your bench cover when the likes of gibbs/scotland, Marc, swan pendles etc have byes. Also consider that players in the top teams will get rested.

I hadn't really considered the bye for Carlton...in their next bye I'd have to play Puopolo, Jacobs and Hibberd for Gibbs, Scotland and Murphy but everyone else will have to cover Gibbs and lot's will be covering Murphy and/or Scotland too.

Quote from: Browny16 on June 08, 2011, 01:20:33 PM
I like your plan, you've go to take a risk if you want to jump up in rankings.

One thing to consider is that come round 15 (West Coast bye) you'll be fielding Smith and Vardy. Do you have enough confidences in Vardy J/S and scoring (You might just lose all the points you gained if he's not playing)

Have you considered Griffin he's only 204k. Hes just as likely to make you as much money give you better coverage in round 15 then vardy and has added insurance if sandi get injured again or they decide to rest him

Yeh round 15 will definitely be dodgey. But if Sandi is still out then as I predict then everyone else will have only have Smith too (except the people who have Petrie in rucks) and Vardy will be better cover than a lot of people have. Not sure if I could afford everything with Griffin, I'd have to run the numbers again.

Memphistopheles

How about this instead - Trade Sandi ---> Vardy or someone (personally i jumped on Bailey last week).

Get Scotland like you suggested (i'm also strongly considering Scotland this week).

And upgrade Puopolo or Hibberd to Shaw instead of Heppell.

Heppell is great as he can cover both def and mid and score 80+. He will be my very last trade out in round 24.

glynman90

Quote from: Memphistopheles on June 08, 2011, 02:23:55 PM
How about this instead - Trade Sandi ---> Vardy or someone (personally i jumped on Bailey last week).

Get Scotland like you suggested (i'm also strongly considering Scotland this week).

And upgrade Puopolo or Hibberd to Shaw instead of Heppell.

Heppell is great as he can cover both def and mid and score 80+. He will be my very last trade out in round 24.

That's actually a better idea! I could swap Heppell into the mids for Hibberd and Hibberd would also have another 2 price rises (if he plays)...also would have a DPP link with Heppell in the mids and Jacobs in the backs.

fidou

So your ranked 92nd overall why are you getting advice? All you will get from the forum is hundreds and thousands. Not the sandwich but the drop in ranking. Do what has got you there in the first place. All of us swapping ideas want to be in your place.

Advice from a 2nd year rookie ranked 19,000. (Oh yer I'd like to think I'm a rising star though)

danoz

Other cheap rucks Max Gawn and Robbie Campbell, though JS wont be flash with Jamar coming back soon.

As your second trade you could do Swan > Scotland in the mids. then DPP scotland out and upgrade Hibberd to Swan later, when Swan is back, and maybe has 1-2 more price drops. You would end up with more cash as Lower is still gaining value and still have a DPP link, i.e. go Lower > Shaw. And use up only one more trade

My team will be very similar come rd 15 and will have 5 trades left as well. Only in the 3000's though, so I won't catch up. But better than i've done in the past.

Gibbs, Scotland, Deledio, Adcock, Goddard, Shaw, Enright
(Heppell, Otten, Puopolo)

Pendlebury, Boyd, Swan, Hodge, Bartel, Thompson
(Callinan, Jacobs, Wallis)

Cox, Sandi
(Smith, Keeffe)

Stevie J, Goodes, Sylvia, Franklin, Riewoldt, Chapman, O'Keefe
(Mzungu, Smith, Lynch)

Fenno

If your not going to go a cheap as chips ruck go for Andrew Browne from Richmond over Vardy he will have a better average and better JS and is a few thousand cheaper