Gary, Thompson or Mundy?

Started by wcarey, June 08, 2011, 12:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One mid upgrade left. Gary, Thompson or Mundy?

Gary
19 (63.3%)
Thompson
9 (30%)
Mundy?
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1

wcarey

One mid upgrade left. Gary, Thompson or Mundy?

Ziplock

tough call, someone posted an interesting statistic that basically mundy on averaged 80s with barlow in the team, and 90s when he got injured, with his return that could affect his out put.

Was just trawling through DTT, apparently gablett has a history of finishing seasons poorly while thompson has one of finishing strongly. That being said, I would be looking at probably  ablett of the three, he's a proven DTer over the last couple of years, and has an easy finals run. Personally, I intend on getting him in now, then for the GF straight swapping to mitchell/ hodge.

yorgis

BillMurray

I really don't understand all the hype surrounding Mundy. He's basically like the new Daniel Cross; He's consistent but his ceiling is so low due to the in and under game-style he plays. What I mean is that he's never going to win you a league match, if anything lose you one by having an off game. I just thing there are better scoring players, who can score far higher, and more often.

GAJ by far out of those imo...

yorgis

gaz is ave 104 and mundy 106 and mundy's $40k cheaper                                                                                            gaz has 3 x 80+ scores and 2 x 70+ scores and 2 x 100+ scores
mundy has 1 x 70+ score and 2 x 80+ scores and 7 x 100+ scores
so you tell me who is more likely to lose you a game

BillMurray

Quote from: yorgis on June 08, 2011, 02:22:26 AM
gaz is ave 104 and mundy 106 and mundy's $40k cheaper                                                                                            gaz has 3 x 80+ scores and 2 x 70+ scores and 2 x 100+ scores
mundy has 1 x 70+ score and 2 x 80+ scores and 7 x 100+ scores
so you tell me who is more likely to lose you a game

What do you mean tax had two '70+ scores'. His lowest score for the year has been 81 and I can promise you that with GAJ only recently starting to get back to adequate match fitness it is now he'll  to show just what he's capable of. Gaz in full flight will crush Mundy in every aspect of DT scoring. Watch and see who's right at the end of the season...

wcarey

Cheers lads. I've pretty much ruled out Mundy, mainly for the reason that I'm worried Barlow will have a negative effect on his scores. My preference is Gary but I am down to 8 trades after this and looking at games played over the past few years Thompson barely misses a game. Bloody tough call...

BU1101

I think Gaz might get a rest later in the season. He isnt getting the protection he was getting at Geelong and he will be pretty sore with no bye from round 10-24. With no chance of finals I would hate for them to rest him late and cost me a game in the dt finals. Ive ruled mundy out too, picked up thompson. Great draw, good bye and can score big.Thoughts?

dale93

Quote from: BU1101 on June 08, 2011, 03:41:02 PM
I think Gaz might get a rest later in the season. He isnt getting the protection he was getting at Geelong and he will be pretty sore with no bye from round 10-24. With no chance of finals I would hate for them to rest him late and cost me a game in the dt finals. Ive ruled mundy out too, picked up thompson. Great draw, good bye and can score big.Thoughts?

You point of resting Ablett is very true but its a massive risk to pick Thommo over him just for that.....

BU1101

Put a rookie score in Gabletts place, or a donut if it is the week geelong or carlton have a bye and that would bring down the average points scored hugely. Ablett has had 2 big scores and alot of mid 80's. Im not convinced for this year.

PowerBug

Quote from: Ziplock on June 08, 2011, 12:20:15 AM
tough call, someone posted an interesting statistic that basically mundy on averaged 80s with barlow in the team, and 90s when he got injured, with his return that could affect his out put.

Was just trawling through DTT, apparently gablett has a history of finishing seasons poorly while thompson has one of finishing strongly. That being said, I would be looking at probably  ablett of the three, he's a proven DTer over the last couple of years, and has an easy finals run. Personally, I intend on getting him in now, then for the GF straight swapping to mitchell/ hodge.
Totally agree.

BillMurray

Quote from: PowerBug on June 08, 2011, 03:49:55 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on June 08, 2011, 12:20:15 AM

Totally agree.

+2

I have Mitchell as well but am planning to have a trade up my sleeve for GAJ just in case he gets rested & I'll swap him for whoever is in hot form at that time... 8)

Possumo

Quote from: dale93 on June 08, 2011, 03:43:33 PM

You point of resting Ablett is very true but its a massive risk to pick Thommo over him just for that.....

Uh have I missed something or has the general opinion on a player completely changed in a single week? Last week, the majority were telling me to pick up Thompson over Pendlebury. Of course, Thomo had a bad game, and actually combined with me picking Selwood over Cox as Captain, I ended up losing my eliminator as my opponent had Pendlebury vs Thomo.

After one bad game, does everyone suddenly think he is no good? Surely if people were picking him over Pendlebury (partly due to his bye being in the multi-league rounds, but still), then he would get picked over Gablett. Although he has had two excellent scores in 2 out of the last 3 weeks (he was another reason I lost on the weekend!), most of his scoring has been in the 80-100 range. If that is purely a case of him working his way into form then perhaps he is the better pick as you say, but he is still unproven for me this season. I think the fact he may get rested is also a strong possibility.

wcarey

Quote from: Possumo on June 08, 2011, 07:00:18 PM
Quote from: dale93 on June 08, 2011, 03:43:33 PM

Uh have I missed something or has the general opinion on a player completely changed in a single week? Last week, the majority were telling me to pick up Thompson over Pendlebury. Of course, Thomo had a bad game, and actually combined with me picking Selwood over Cox as Captain, I ended up losing my eliminator as my opponent had Pendlebury vs Thomo.

After one bad game, does everyone suddenly think he is no good? Surely if people were picking him over Pendlebury (partly due to his bye being in the multi-league rounds, but still), then he would get picked over Gablett. Although he has had two excellent scores in 2 out of the last 3 weeks (he was another reason I lost on the weekend!), most of his scoring has been in the 80-100 range. If that is purely a case of him working his way into form then perhaps he is the better pick as you say, but he is still unproven for me this season. I think the fact he may get rested is also a strong possibility.

I hear what you're saying about people changing their opinions from week to week. You say one thing and cop abuse/ridicule for it one week, then those same people are jumping on the bandwagon a week or 2 later :D

remon tea

Perhaps a smokie instead? Griffen seems to be flying under the radar, or perhaps the handball machine Priddis?