The 2011 FanFooty AFL/VFL Trivia Quiz (The Winner is announced!!!)

Started by c4v3m4n, June 06, 2011, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

wow cant believe i got so many the first 2 were easy ( i read some mascot manor cartoon when i was young), I only knew about 6-7 for question 3 but must have guessed the rest correct. question 4 i took educated guesses on about half of them. Question 5 i only knew 5 and guessed the rest.

I think i was very lucky this time. If they were all questions i.e which team were the gorillas i would have be gone.

Zarts

c4v3m4n

bomberboy0618

He can't chin up, he locked himself out of his account and didn't even win tool of the week for it.

Zarts

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on July 08, 2011, 11:09:08 PM
He can't chin up, he locked himself out of his account and didn't even win tool of the week for it.

life is cruel.

c4v3m4n

c4v3m4n

Btw, the round is now officially closed.

The answers will go up tomorrow morning as it is now past my bedtime. ;) I'm sure you can wait a few more hours....

Zarts

c4v3m4n

Thanks for waiting guys. Here are the answers to Round 4! :)

Round 4: The Super Happy Fun Mix n' Match Time Quiz Round Spectacular

Challenge 1: Mascot Manor (worth a total of 2 points)

In 2003, the AFL decided to give each club's mascot a name (I'd hate meet the person who came up with them).  ::)

Your task is to match the club to their mascot's name.

I took out their nicknames to make things slightly ;) more challenging.

1. BrisbaneJ. Bernie "Gabba" Vegas (named after Bernie Quinlan, The Gabba and BrisVegas)
2. CollingwoodI. Jock "One-Eye" McPie (named after Jock McHale and one-eyed Collingwood fans)
3. EssendonG. Moz "Skeeta" Reynolds (named after the Mosquito nickname Essendon once had and Dick Reynolds)
4. GeelongA. "Slammin" Sam Tomcat (unfortunately named after Sam Newman)
5. Gold CoastH. Sunny Ray (worst mascot name ever)
6. MelbourneF. Ronald "Dee" Man (named after Ron Barassi and the Demon name)
7. North MelbourneB. Barry "Bruiser" Cracker (named after Barry Cable and Peter "Crackers" Keenan)
8. RichmondE. Tiger "Stripes" Dyer (named after the Tiger name and Jack Dyer)
9. SydneyC. Syd "Swannie" Skilton (named after Sydney and Bob Skilton)
10. Western Bulldogs                                          D. Woofer "Dogg" Whitten (named after the Dogs name and Ted Whitten)

Challenge 2: Home, Sweet, Home (worth a total of 4 points)

The AFL is full of internationally diverse players; from Cyprus to China, Untied States to United Kingdom.

Your task is to match the player to the county in which the have an international heritage to (either they or their parents were born in this country)

1. Harry O'BrienI. Brazil (he was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
2. Mike PikeE. Canada (born in Canada)
3. Ivan MaricF. Croatia (his parents were from Croatia)
4. Tadhg KennellyJ. Ireland (born in Ireland)
5. Tony LiberatoreC. Italy (his parents were born in Italy)
6. Andrew Demertiou                                          B. Greece (one of parents was born in Greece, the other from Cyprus)
7. Nathan Van BerloH. Netherlands (his parents were born in the Netherlands)
8. Peter BellD. South Korea (he was born there)
9. Tendai MzunguA. Zimbabwe (his father is from Zimbabwe)
10. Shane SavageG. New Zealand (he was born there)

Challenge 3: Best and Fairest (worth a total of 6 points)

As we are all aware, clubs hand out Best and Fairest medals to a player every year. Those medals have names.

Your task is to match the club to their Best and Fairest medal.

1. AdelaideD. Malcolm Blight Medal
2. CarltonH. John Nicolls Medal
3. CollingwoodI. Copeland Trophy
4. FremantleG. Doig Medal
5. HawthornJ. Peter Crimmins Medal
6. North MelbourneE. Syd Barker Medal
7. St. KildaC. Trevor Barker Award
8. SydneyA. Bob Skilton Award
9. West CoastF Club Champion Award (nameless)
10. Western Bulldogs                                       B. Charles Sutton Medal

Challenge 4: From Humble Origins... (worth a total of 10 points)

Some players aren't a one-club man. They might get homesick, sick of the club or the club gets sick of them.  ;D

Your task is to match the player with the club they originally played for.

1. Leigh BrownH. Fremantle (played 63 games for Freo before being traded to North Melbourne in 2003 for pick 13)
2. Nathan BuckleyD. Brisbane Bears (played 20 games with Brisbane before being traded to Collingwood in 1994 for Craig Starcevich, Troy Lehmann and pick 12)
3. Shannon GrantI. Sydney (played 58 games for Sydney before being traded to North Melbourne in 1998 for Wayne Schwass and pick 27)
4. Gavin Wanganeen                                 B. Essendon (played 127 games with Essendon before returning home to Port Adelaide in 1997)
5. Barry HallJ. St. Kilda (played 88 games before being traded to Sydney in 2002 for picks 13, 17 and 45)
6. Fraser GehrigC. West Coast (played 115 games for the Eagles before being traded to St. Kilda in 2001 for David Sierakowski and pick 18)
7. Gary Ablett Snr.A. Hawthorn (managed 6 games for Hawthorn before being traded to Geelong in 1984 for $60,000)
8. Chris TarrantG. Collingwood (played 161 games at Collingwood before being to Fremantle in 2007 for Paul Medhurst and pick 8 )
9. Martin PikeF. Melbourne (played 24 games for Melbourne before being picked up by Fiztroy)
10. Brad OttensE. Richmond (played 129 games for Richmond before being traded to Geelong in 2005 for picks 12 and 16)

Couple of interesting facts relating to this question

• Leigh Brown is also one of two players in VFL/AFL history to have played more than 50 games with three different clubs.  :o
  • Nathan Buckley almost boycotted the 1992 Draft because he didn't want to be drafted to Brisbane. Obviously Brisbane drafted him, but what makes this even stranger...as part of his contract between him and the Bears allowed him to go to the club of his choice the following season.  :o
  • Martin Pike also played for North Melbourne and Brisbane, making him one of a few players to play for 4 different clubs.

Challenge 5: Carn the Pivotonians?  :o (worth a massive 16 points!)

Thoughout a club's history, they'll change logos, change guernsey designs and change nicknames.

For your final and hardest challenge, match the club to a nickname they were once called.

1. CarltonF. Butchers (In its early days, Carlton wore very tight fitting jackets that resembled butchers)
2. EssendonD. Same Olds (there's a couple reasons for this, one was because of Essendon's "Same Old" guernsey)
3. FitzroyA. Gorillas (from 1939-1957 they were the Fitzroy Gorillas before the Lion was adopted)
4. Footscray/Western Bulldogs                                  H. Tricolors (this was because of the three coloured guernsey they wore, well, still do)
5. GeelongG. Pivotonians (The town of Geelong was also known as the "Pivot". If you were from Geelong you were known as a "Pivotonian". The club adopted the name up until the Cats was introduced in the mid 1920s)
6. HawthornE. Mayblooms (The Maybloom is a brown and gold flower which grew in the local area. They became the Hawks in 1943)
7. MelbourneC. Fuchsias (Another flower reference. The caps Melbourne used to wear resembled the same colour)
8. North MelbourneJ. Bluebirds (Prior to the Roos, they were known (not for long) as the Bluebirds due to guernsey colour)
9. St. KildaB. Penguins (Throughout the clubs history, they've tried to provide a more aggressive emblem than the Saint. The Penguin was one option)
10. South Melbourne/SydneyI. Foreign Legion (Back in the 30s, South Melbourne recruited an unprecedented amount of interstate players and were dubbed the Foreign Legion)

Another few interesting facts:

• Rumor has it, the Cats got their name due to a black cat that wandered into the opposing team's huddle during the game. Geelong won that match and quite a few afterwards. Jokes were made about the cat and the name just grew from there.
  • St. Kilda also tried the Seagulls and the Panthers...  ???
  • Legend has it, Melbourne got their Demon name from a speech that the coach at the time, Frank Hughes gave. "You are playing like a lot of flowers (Fuschias). Lift your heads and play like demons!".

Well there you go! Phew, what a great week.

I'm going to take a quick break for lunch, then I'll post the new leaderboard. I love suspense, don't you? ;)

c4v3m4n

Leaderboard after Round 4

Place          Entrant                   Points
1stBOOMZ95.8 (+34.8)
2ndSid82.6 (+31.6)
3rdHolzman80.8 (+34.8)
4thhawk_8873.8 (+30.8)
5thossie8571.4 (+23.4)
6thCrowsFan67.6 (+20.6)
7thbomberboy061859.8 (+16.8)
8thpyronerd55.6 (+17.6)
9thMTTY55 (+18)
10thMajorLazer43.4 (+22.4)
11thMaca2442.4 (+18.4)
12thZiplock37.6 (+7.6*)
13thCookie Monster23 (-)
14thpothead21 (-)
15thHellopplz19 (-)

*Ziplock got an additional 2 points for the bonus Pokemon question.

Congratulations this week goes to BOOMZ (for the fourth week running) and Holzman for the highest score of the round! They correctly paired 48 out of 50 options! So close to getting a perfect round....

That's it for this week, I'll be back on Monday with a new round of Questions...

Hey BOOMZ, what's your weakness? ;)

MajorLazer

c4v3m4n

Quote from: MajorLazer on July 09, 2011, 02:47:12 PM
Pokemon. That's his weakness. ;)

Trust me. ;)

Not sure I could come up with 10 pokemon-related AFL questions, let alone 1. lol

MajorLazer

Quote from: c4v3m4n on July 09, 2011, 02:49:03 PM
Quote from: MajorLazer on July 09, 2011, 02:47:12 PM
Pokemon. That's his weakness. ;)

Trust me. ;)

Not sure I could come up with 10 pokemon-related AFL questions, let alone 1. lol
Dammit. :P

c4v3m4n

Oh, I got one.

Name an AFL player that shares his guernsey number with the pokedex number of Butterfree?

MajorLazer