The 2011 FanFooty AFL/VFL Trivia Quiz (The Winner is announced!!!)

Started by c4v3m4n, June 06, 2011, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

Jeez, where has the time gone!!  :o

It's seriously hard to believe it's already Monday! Wow...

Anyway, here are your questions for the week....good luck!!

Round 10: Football Families

Easy Questions (worth 1 point)

Question 1. Name one of the two players who were drafted to Western Bulldogs in last years draft via the Father-Son Rule.

Question 2. Who Am I? I was born on July 26th, 2011. My father is a dual Brownlow Medalist who currently plays for Carlton. My mother is a speech pathologist and a model.

Question 3. When Geelong met North Melbourne in Round 1 of the NAB Cup, it was the first ever time identical twins have coached against each other.

What are the names of these two coaches?

Question 4. Once a year when Essendon and Carlton play each other, they play for the Madden Cup. Who is the Cup named after?

A. John and Steve Madden         B. Chris and Peter Madden          C. Tim and David Madden          D. Simon and Justin Madden

Medium Questions (worth 2 points)

Question 5. Which father-son combination holds the record for the most collective games played?

A. Tim Watson and Jobe Watson        B. Ken Fletcher and Dustin Fletcher        C. Gary Ablett Snr and Gary Ablett Jnr        D. Sergio Silvagni and Stephen Silvagni

Question 6. On a similar note, which two identical twins hold the record for most collective games?

A. Darryl Wakelin and Shane Wakelin       B. Nathan Lonie and Ryan Lonie        C. Mitchell Brown and Nathan J. Brown      D. Brad Scott and Chris Scott

Question 7. True or False. Legends Gary Ablett Snr. and Michael Tuck are related.

Hard Questions (worth 3pts)

Question 8. In Round 22, 1990, history was made when all four Daniher brothers lined up against St. Kilda. It's the only time in VFL/AFL history four siblings have played a game together.

What were there names?

For four additional bonus points, what positions did they play at for that game?

Question 9. In what year was the Father-Son Rule introduced?

A. 1946               B. 1952               C. 1958               D. 1964

The Super-Hard Question (worth 5 points)

Question 10. How many sets of brothers are currently playing in the AFL?

Cookie Monster

can we get an extra point for both? for the first question?

c4v3m4n

c4v3m4n

Hey all,

Don't forget to your entries in!

I'll be going out later tonight, so I'll extend the deadline to MIDNIGHT tonight.

c4v3m4n

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been able to give you last weeks answers, nor this weeks questions. I've been quite ill with the flu and haven't fully recovered.

So sadly, there will be no questions this week and I'll deliver the answers for last weeks questions hopefully by Thursday when I'm feeling ~80% match-fit.  :P

Sorry for any inconvenience.

c4

MajorLazer

bomberboy0618

No problems. As long as I get a perfect score *shifty eyes*
Get well soon!

hawk_88

Given that C4 is currently out of action (get well soon!) I am putting up a once off quiz that in no way contributes to your overall score, but should be fun and really test everyone's footy knowledge.

The topic is weird and wonderful guernseys from AFL/VFL history. Each of the following 8 guernseys have been worn at least once in an official AFL/VFL sanctioned match. This can include pre-season matches and exhibition matches. To enter, simply name the club that wore the following guernseys and PM me your answers.

1 point per answer. Careful, some of these are very tricky, but some may be simpler than they appear

c4v3m4n

Right. Time to get back on the trivia horse.

You'll get your answers and updated leraderboard tonight and tomorrow....

...the final round! :D

And that round will be all about...

...GRAND FINALS!  :o

CrowsFan

Nice to see you back c4 :)
I had been wondering what was going on ;)

hawk_88

I totally forgot about the guernsey quiz, mainly because only CrowsFan entered. For the record he got 6 out of the 8 correct. For comparison I personally gave the quiz to our resident quiz master C4 and he got 5 so well done!

1. St Kilda (they changed the from yellow to white during WW1 as their colours matched the German flag)
2. University (for those who don't know of this team, you should read into AFL history)
3. Carlton (interestingly on the back of the guernsey there was a union jack)
4. West Coast, but will accept WA (technically this was worn in a heritage round by the West Coast as it was the WA state of origin guernsey)
5. Fremantle (was worn in a heritage round, was South Fremantle's guernsey in the WAFL)
6. Port Adelaide (worn in a heritage round, and old guernsey of the Magpies which is where the teal came from when Port's colours were selected)
7. Hawthorn (well done if you got this one. A very old Hawthorn guernsey before they were the Hawks. Was worn recently in a heritage round)
8. Fitzroy (should be obvious)

CrowsFan

Yay I won a quiz round :D
I don't care that only 2 people entered :P

c4v3m4n

A big THANK YOU to hawk_88 for his guernsey trivia. The answers to the Round 10 trivia will be up momentarily.

Little disappointed no-one but CrowsFan entered.  ???

Justin Bieber

Well I suck at AFL Trivia so only enter the easy rounds :P. Which has only been 2 so far that I've seen ;D.

c4v3m4n

Answers to Round 10: Football Families

Easy Questions (worth 1 point)

Question 1. Name one of the two players who were drafted to Western Bulldogs in last years draft via the Father-Son Rule.

Answer: I would have accepted either Mitch Wallis or Tom Liberatore.

Question 2. Who Am I? I was born on July 26th, 2011. My father is a dual Brownlow Medalist who currently plays for Carlton. My mother is a speech pathologist and a model.

Answer: As Holzman said in his answers, the 2030 Brownlow Medal goes to Oscar Dylan Judd. :D

Question 3. When Geelong met North Melbourne in Round 1 of the NAB Cup, it was the first ever time identical twins have coached against each other.

What are the names of these two coaches?

Answer: Brad Scott and Chris Scott. I sometimes wonder that before taking their respective coaching roles, if they've switched identities for a good laugh.

Question 4. Once a year when Essendon and Carlton play each other, they play for the Madden Cup. Who is the Cup named after?

A. John and Steve Madden         B. Chris and Peter Madden          C. Tim and David Madden          D. Simon and Justin Madden

Answer: D. Simon and Justin Madden

Medium Questions (worth 2 points)

Question 5. Which father-son combination holds the record for the most collective games played?

A. Tim Watson and Jobe Watson        B. Ken Fletcher and Dustin Fletcher        C. Gary Ablett Snr and Gary Ablett Jnr        D. Sergio Silvagni and Stephen Silvagni

Answer: B. Ken and Dustin Fletcher with 610 collective games played!

Question 6. On a similar note, which two identical twins hold the record for most collective games?

A. Darryl Wakelin and Shane Wakelin       B. Nathan Lonie and Ryan Lonie        C. Mitchell Brown and Nathan J. Brown      D. Brad Scott and Chris Scott

Answer: A. Darryl and Shane Wakelin with 513 collective games.

Question 7. True or False. Legends Gary Ablett Snr. and Michael Tuck are related.

Answer: True. Gary Ablett's sister, Fay Ablett married Michael Tuck, making the pair brother-in-laws.

Hard Questions (worth 3pts)

Question 8. In Round 22, 1990, history was made when all four Daniher brothers lined up against St. Kilda. It's the only time in VFL/AFL history four siblings have played a game together.

What were there names?

Answer: From right to left: Anthony, Terry, Neale and Chris.

For four additional bonus points, what positions did they play at for that game?

Answer: Anthony played at Full Back, Terry played at Centre-Half Forward, Neale played at Full Forward and Chris played in the Centre.

Question 9. In what year was the Father-Son Rule introduced?

A. 1946               B. 1952               C. 1958               D. 1964

Answer: B. 1952. The rule was introduced thanks to Melbourne who wanted to recruit the legend Ron Barassi as his father had played for them in the 30s. Otherwise, he would have been recruited to Carlton due to zoning rules back then.

The Super-Hard Question (worth 5 points)

Question 10. How many sets of brothers are currently playing in the AFL?

Answer: Believe it or not, there are 22. Yep, 22.

Here's the list: Gary and Nathan Ablett, Claye and Dayne Beams, Nathan and Mitchell Brown, Xavier and Raphael Clarke, Chad and Kane Cornes, Aaron and Alwyn Davey, Cameron and Luke Delaney, Jack and Dylan Grimes, Ed and Nick Lower, Jarrad and Mark McVeigh, Kelvin and Andrew Moore, Cale, Jarryd and Mitch Morton, Marlon and Daniel Motlop, Sam and Ben Reid, Adam, Scott and Joel Selwood, Rhyce and Heath Shaw, Andrew and David Swallow, Robbie and Chris Tarrant, Joel and Kurt Tippett, Jay and Nathan Van Berlo, Robert and Matthew Warnock, Justin and Matthew Westhoff.

For those that will argue that some of those players (Ed Lower and Cameron Delaney for example) haven't yet played this year, therefore they shouldn't be included...I was just after brothers on current senior playing lists.