Main Menu

Lack of Depth?

Started by Cruiseon, June 06, 2011, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

The Pies are kicking along nicely, no complaints from my end. However I was checking out the results of the VFL side and I couldn't help but notice what looked like a lack of depth. When I cast my mind back to going to Vic Park last year to watch the VFL I recall seeing Fraser, Nathan Brown, Jack Anthony, Lockyer, Medhurst, Blair & even Barham all going around. 

Whilst there are plenty of goers, when I look at the team below outside of Blair & Dick I don't see too many ready made Premiership replacements.

Thoughts?

Collingwood

B: Paul Cribbin, Kris Pendlebury, Daniel Farmer

HB: Tom Couch, Scott Reed, Tom Young

C: Tom Sundberg, Kirk Ugle, Jack Perham

HF: Lachlan Keeffe, Brad Dick, Jye Bolton

F: Shae McNamara, John Ceglar, Alex Fasolo

R: Declan Reilly, Jarryd Blair, Luke Rounds

Int from: Rob Condy, Lachlan Smith*, Pat Hayes, Jack Bull, Tom Gordon

ossie85

I wish we picked Kris Pendlebury as a rookie this year :(

Keeffe, Dick, Fasolo, Blair, Reed and Rounds are the obvious ones for sure. It is a good point though Cruise. But this time last year I wouldn't have thought Blair would be in our best 22 either.

In fairness, L Brown, Jolly, Buckley, Macaffer, and Ben Johnson are on the injury list atm.

hawk_88

Maybe a fair point.

Jolly, Macaffer and Johnson are on the injury list as well.

Not as much depth as last year, so injuries may hurt more than last year, however everything is going along swimmingly at the moment and the Pies have the opportunity to manage player's fitness because of their great form. Through resting and the obvious trip for high altitube training mid-season, I can see Collingwood coming into the finals will a very fit 25.

Cruiseon

In any normal year, you need to forecast injuries to 3 or 4 of your best 22 and just hope they are not the irreplaceables which every club has.

We have 3 or 4 out at the moment (Jolly is probably the only irreplaceables) so looking at the VFL side I thought it looked at bit light.

hawk_88

Even then with a change in structure you can account for losses.

Our already pretty short backline got a hell of a lot shorter losing both Gilham and Stratton for the year and so far we seemed to have managed. It is doable with the right structure and Collingwood have a very good structure. The one thing we really haven't ever seen from the Pies is a plan B. Now this is really because they haven't really needed it but it will be interesting to see what they come up with if their press fails.

McRooster

There can never be enough depth at Collingwood - the deeper, the better and the easier it is to hide their bodies at sea  ;)

Some may think how could you fathom such a thought Rooster  :o

Cruiseon

Ouch, I can feel your pain from here Roost, such dark times in the suburban wasteland that is Football Park.

If lashing out at the Pies helps distract from the pain of Neil Craig & his not so merry boys then we are happy to help a troubled soul. That's just the kind of people we are down at Collingwood.

Chin up big fella.

bunyip

Geez Cruis, whadda noice guy ;D

PowerBug

I think Collingwood are fine. Other teams (Port Adelaide) can't even field a competitive 22.

hawk_88

Quote from: PowerBug on June 09, 2011, 01:16:30 PM
I think Collingwood are fine. Other teams (Port Adelaide) can't even field a competitive 22.

No doubt.

We are just talking about the 1% that matters when you hit a prelim final.

PowerBug

bunyip

Collingwoods depth will be tested this week

PowerBug

Quote from: bunyip on June 09, 2011, 03:54:55 PM
Collingwoods depth will be tested this week
I think it will, and i think it will fail. Melbourne for me this week boys.

Cruiseon

There is talk of Fasolo coming in this week.

Good time to blood some youngsters I reckon, test them out for later in the year if required.

PowerBug