Ziplock's DT Dragon

Started by Ziplock, May 27, 2011, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Hey everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, myself and several other fanfooty members have dedicated ourselves over the last couple of months to a certain project that I have named 'Ziplock's DreamTeam Dragon'

So without further ado, allow me to present it, in the original Round 9 version

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3o5qkeE4jAkMGIzNDBhN2EtNjdlOS00NmQ5LThmODctZmUyY2JjOGM3NmE5&hl=en_US

The updated versions will be posted below.

I tried to attach the document directly, but the file size was too big :(

Before I explain this spreadsheet, I would like to highlight the importance of the fanfooty member's help and support in this undertaking, especially the assistance of the following people.
joshas182
LaHug
Chopps
DG
love4thegame

Who all helped immensely by contributing the statistics for at least one round, or, in some hard-working cases, multiple rounds to bring this project to fruition, if I'd been doing it by myself, honestly I could not guarantee I would be able to have finished the backlog by DT finals, so they all deserve a huge shout out and virtual hug.

Ziplock's DT Dragon can't work the same magic that grimlocks ffgenie could, and I certainly don't have the style and skills to even try to emulate it in excel. However, what the dragon is intended to do is set a fire underneath your team, and give you the edge to burn your opponents, by assisting in who to field, trade in and captain each week.

I thought it was a clever name, and if you don't agree, well, it's my concept, so I get to pick the name :P

Ok, now for a quick rundown of how to use the spreadsheet

There are two sheets in the excel document, imaginatively named Sheet1 and Sheet2. Sheet2 is the easiest to explain, so I'll start with that.

Sheet 2 is basically every team, and how they have scored for total points in each round, average points in defence, mid, ruck and fwd for each round, and averages of how they have done over the season overall and positionally, for instance, north melbourne's defenders each average 67.16 points per game.

To make it even clearer, if Franklin was the only Hawthorn forward in a game, and he scored 100, then the average for the hawthorn's forwards would be 100. However, if Cyril Rioli is also playing, but does his Hammy quarter 2 to finish on 50, the average score for the forwards in hawthorn will be 75 for that round.

Sheet 1 is more DT relevant, but slightly harder to wrap your head around

for this explanation
W=Win
L=Lose
D= Draw
TPA= Total Points Against
APA= Average points against

So, the spreadsheet layout is as follows
Round     Team     Team Played  TPA Def/Mid/Ruc/Fwd    APA Def/Mid/ Ruc/Fwd

now, the name under 'Team' is the team who the points are against, while the team played are the team that scored the points. For instance, if Brisbane is playing Geelong, and Adcock is the only defender in Brisbanes side, and he scores 100, then the sheet would look like this

Round     Team     Team Played  TPA Def/    Mid/     Ruc/   Fwd    APA Def/   Mid/    Ruc/   Fwd
xx          Geelong   Brisbane        100                                                100

If the next round Geelong plays Collinwood and Dane Swan is the only Pie's midfielder and scores a record high 250 dream team points, the table will look as follows

Round     Team     Team Played TPA  TPA Def/    Mid/     Ruc/   Fwd    APA Def/   Mid/    Ruc/   Fwd
xx          Geelong   Brisbane       100   100                                                100
xx+1                    Collingwood   100                250                                          250

So, the total average, since in this hypothetical situation Brisbane and collinwood only have one player each, players against geelong will score on average
Def: 100 points
Mids: 250 points

which would make them an excellent team to field defenders and midfielders against. Unfortunately, it isn't so.

So, these stats should make it easier to pick players to field, trade in or captain. Just for some interesting stats, I'll do a quick breakdown of some of them.

Team that has the least points scored against it on average: West Coast Eagles
Team that has the most points scored against it on average: Gold Coast Suns

Team that has the least points scored by opposing Defense on average: Carlton
Team that has the most points scored by opposing Defense on average: Gold Coast

Team that has the least points scored by opposing Midfield on average: Hawthorn
Team that has the most points scored by opposing Midfield on average: Gold Coast

Team that has the least points scored by opposing Rucks on average: Fremantle
Team that has the most points scored by opposing Rucks on average: Brisbame

Team that has the least points scored by opposing Forwards on average: Geelong
Team that has the most points scored by opposing Forwards on average: Port Adelaide

Enjoy!

love4thegame

awesome stuff zip looks great!

Ziplock

Ziplock

just ftr, I'd appreciate it if anyone know DL's it would comment and tell me what they think of it, how helpful it is etc, just nice to know :)

Chopps

Good work ziplock, love the name. Will be interesting to see it in action obviously still requires decisions to be made but should add another stat to help gain the edge

plugz19

thats awesome mate, mega props
so how often are you going to update it? all all
cheers

Ziplock

I'm updating it as we speak, it's pretty much done, I just need to quickly finish off sheet 2.

Ziplock

just finished updating, will upload now :)

Ziplock

CFC 1979

outstanding work guys

well done :)

G()D

Well done :) lol least ruck score against freo SANDI FTW

thornz23

Really nice work Zip n co :) should be really helpful looking at who to start and who to choose as captain

mwaxo

Nice work.

Another possible addition could be to differentiate between home and away games, I've always wanted to know how much of a difference it makes but I'm too lazy :)

Ziplock

I might do that next season, I cbf going through the backlogged data atm though :P

The general rule of thumb is that players do better at their home ground, that being said, except for uniques like podsiadly, the difference isn't really that much.... large discrepancies would mean that the players wouldn't be picked by the majority of the DT population due to inconsistencies :P 

Ziplock