Trading out Pears - Strategic Advice Needed

Started by Hydra, June 02, 2009, 01:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra

At the start of this season, I'd never taken a real interest in SuperCoach. I didn't know how to play. My team was everywhere and I just chose players I knew were OK. I fell into the Presti trap (which I am now out of) and things like that.

As a Bombers supporter I picked up young Tayte Pears at around 200-230k. His average of 52 is low and I know it's time to trade him as my defence is currently very weak. He is at 317.5k and is probably certain to drop in the next few weeks I feel.

I have 9 trades left and $152,900 to spare. What I want to know is if I should find a player of a similar price level that is destined to score well and trade him, or trade up to someone else like Chornes (who is injured at the moment - he was just my example.)

I am thinking of finding a 300-350k player and keeping a bit of cash to upgrade later in the season.

My defence averages around 77, midfield 111 (not inc. captain), rucks 60 and forwards around 88.

Current Defence Line-Up:
Sam Gilbert
Shannon Hurn
Graham Johncock
Paul Bevan
Lewis Roberts-Thompson
Tayte Pears
Jack Grimes

Please no flaming, I'm looking for positive advice.

Other possible tradeable players for a double trade:

Nathan Krakoeur
Eddie Betts
Hayden Skipworth
Michael Gardiner

and perhaps
Lance Franklin (Downgrade from Franklin and then upgrade higher with Pears)

I'd also like to add that I am a 100%  certain win this week in my league, and perhaps the trade could wait a week since I only have 9 left?

Cheers!
Hydra

(PS. I started the season with a 1600 average and have worked it up to 1817.6 with a top score of 2108. Yes - low. But once again, I'm pretty new and have only begun to grasp how to play as the season has progressed.)

Blueboys

You should only trade to either down grade for the cash so you can upgrade to a prem player. 300k to 350k won't get you this! Around the 500k for prem.

Geat time to down grade an average mid to Muston and upgrade Pears to Drummond or Newman maybe even Ryder (it's away better to watch 1 of your own)  :)

Hydra

Thanks for the reply, Blueboys :)

I did buy Muston last week, actually, which is why I have a little cash in stock :). I was looking at either Drummond or Newman also as potential purchases, but I would have to make another trade first. Although many people will be booing me, I have been thinking of downtrading Franklin not necessarily for poor performance but general inconsistency to get an extra 100-150k in the bank. I'll look around for a young forward that can perhaps fill this role while still keeping up with some good scores. (Perhaps Rioli?)

Defenders are getting low scores apart from a select few it seems to be, so that's why I've been having such a hard time finding a substitute for young Pears.

Any other opinions while we are here? :)

Hydra

I just had a look through the lists and I possibly could trade for Mr. Broughton from Freo if he remains uninjured. Higher average (78) + an extra $153k, as well as a possible price rise over the next few weeks. Might be the way to go.

Blueboys

Don't trade franklin, he is still going to score big and you will just lose cash & 1 trade. Never trade a prem unless he is out for the year! It will come back at you. lol

I also picked up muston last week!  ;D

Go Pears to Ryder. 1 trade too  ;D

Hydra

Out: Pears
In: Broughton

Out: Laycock
In: Cox

I think that ended up OK. Gardiner got suspended so I thought might as well get Cox while I need another.

Bic

When you play next year, lock in these players first:

Cox
Ablett
Judd
Goddard

work around these players :)

Prospector_1

Hydra

Thanks, Bic :). I'll have a bit of experience under my belt, and not having players like Cox has killed me this year  ::)

Hondo71

Quote from: Bic on June 05, 2009, 11:29:54 AM
When you play next year, lock in these players first:

Cox
Ablett
Judd
Goddard

work around these players :)

I did that this year and it's great advice.  However, I now wish I had Murphy instead of Judd I reckon next year Judd may not be a must-have.

The other gun I have I would lock in next year too is Joel Selwood.  Superstar.

Oh, and NO KPP FORWARDS!!!!  :o

Dees for the Draft

There are several players that you could do without.

I'd look to trade two defence players, but you need to make sure you get quality players in.

If you're looking like you'll make finals, just make the one trade, if you need to trade to make finals, then make two trades.

Hydra

I'm holding off on trades for the next 3 weeks.

Yes, my defence has been my downfall for the entire time - it's quite a weak line-up. Shannon Hurn and Johncock have recently found some form - I'm planning on keeping them there.

Round 11 score: 2166

Thats a PB for me..Thanks for your help guys!

Prospector_1

Great score! Well done. As for defence, consider it a lesson for next year.

My opinion, I tried hard to avoid backline trouble this year, after a rotten time last year. Fact is, half my trades have still been about fixin' the backline - so I reckon its a fact of life. Use that knowledge next year too!