Main Menu

Pies V Cats

Started by Cruiseon, May 09, 2011, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

Bunyip I remember the epic nervous build-up to our last encounter back in Spetember. The match itself may have been one sided but we were all very much on edge in the week building-up.

So a here we go again, old Champ v new, both undefeated, high degree of mutual respect, new Cats coach, no Ablett or Jolly and both teams wanting to test themselves against wht they must see as their biggest threat for a 2011 flag.

What are we all thinking?   

ossie85

Dare I say it... modern rivalry? Since 2007 we've had a thrilling final (07 prelim), a massive upset thrashing (2008), and a demoralising prelim for each side (Cats 09, Pies 10). This is what you like to see in rivalry, a bit of success on both sides.

I don't think the result of this match will have huge implications for the season. Both sides are travelling very nice, and it wouldn't be great to empty the tank only a third of the way through the marathon.

Last year I would have said I could see the Cats thrashing the Pies, but not the Pies thrashing the cats. I think its the opposite story now.

Pies by 13 points.

Darren Jolly is the biggest question mark. Ottens is in great form, and Jolly has injury concerns and hasn't played in 3 of the last 4 weeks (bye included).

Harry Taylor v Travis Cloke shapes up as a great match also

bunyip

I am so looking forward to this game. The last time we played the Cats were humiliated in a prelim. We will never know if the players all new that both Gazza and Bomber were leaving, but Geelong put in a shocker. That won't happen this time.
How important has Ottens been this year? Collingwood match up on us pretty well, and I think your forward line is better. Dawes and Cloke as opposed to Pods and Moons.
If Geelong are to win the goals will have to come from somewhere else. Stokes is having his best year, and loves playing the Pies. Menzel has been outstanding, and Stevie J will have a good one. Chappy, Varcoe and maybe the odd one from Jimmy Bartell and Tommahawk, you never know.
It's all about attitude. Geelong have one or two players who dislike being beaten, and have long memories. Forget what time of the year it is, both these teams are going to want this game for various reasons. I think the Geelong players want it more though, the Cats by 20 points.

Cruiseon

Bring it on, glad we got your feelings Bunyip.

Ottens is a huge plus for you so far.

What I've been saying more often lately is that Collingwood could deal with a hard fought loss at some stage, might be a good message a la what we gave you in 2007. What I really get nervous about and hope for more each werk is no serious injuries. It is only May after all. What people genuinely forget is that this time last year no one gave Collingwood any serious chance for the flag, yet a mere 12 months later we are the benchmark and strong favourites for back to back.

RiOtChEsS

tbh i hope the cats win it would offer some hope to the rest of the competition...

in all honesty the pies havent got out of 2nd gear and its frightening the living daylights outta me :'(

Cruiseon

Marcz, I'd much rather you be frightened in August/Septemebr and early October rather than April/May.

bunyip

I think the Pies are playing at their peak now. It's bad news for the rest of the comp if they're not. You do need a good run with injuries to win a premiership. Collingwood players generally are young and as fit as anyone else, so injuries would mainly come from collisions I guess.
I reckon a lot of the other coaches will be watching this game, and secretly hoping Geelong can win. The only team that has come close is Essendon, and, in the end, the Pies ran away from them.
I still don't think that Carlton, Freo, Essendon and Hawthorn are playing as well as they can at the moment. So, hopefully a few might close the gap by the end of the home and away season. West Coast and Sydney seem to have a way to go yet.
There is no doubt in my mind that Geelong can win, in fact, I expect they will.
Collingwood have kicked some high scores, but they have played some pretty weak teams to. Geelongs defense is by far the best so far (although Collingwoods isn't far behind), so the Collingwood forwards and mids will be under pressure.

Cruiseon

I think the main difference between the teams than this time last year is that our midfield is now slightly better than Geelongs or at the very least has more depth. There was no way this time last year I would ever have thought I'd be making such a comment.

Cruiseon

Just saw this post from Bunyip on the eve of our last meeting, interesting stuff and possibly still all valid.

"Ok, the truth about tomorrow night.
Collingwood, correctly are the favorites tomorrow and SHOULD win on form. I am not really worried about Geelongs ability to beat Collingwood, what concerns me mostly is our form this year against the other "big 2" is ordinary. Geelong is a funny team though. and tend to lift for big games.
If the Cats are to win, a few things have to go right. We won't keep all the Pie champions quiet, but hopefully ours will do just as well. It will come down to forward line efficiency. The ONLY weakness Collingwood seem to have is their erratic goal kicking. If the cats can put some early score board pressure on them they MIGHT get the wobbles in front of goal and kick themselves out of the game.
Man for man, Collingwood match up pretty well with us, so it will be up to our forwards to make every post a winner. Another 8 goal first quarter would be sweet."

McRooster

The sides are basically even really, the only imbalance is Forward lines.

Cloke, Dawes and Brown are far more formidable than Mooney, Podsiadly and Hawkins. The Collingwood trio are in prime form and are a match winning trio in their own right. Enright, Scarlett and Taylor will certainly have their hands full and this in turn will slow the Cats setup for defensive run and carry.

Can the Cat's truly be considered as an underdog?

Colllingwood by 11-20  ;)

Couldn't care less about the Crows game this week, Friday night's game is the one I want to watch.

Cruiseon

One thing we haven't mentioned is weather.

It's looking very likely to be cold and wet for the big game, just wondering who this favours? Collingwood's gameplan of going wide out of defence verses Geelong's use of the corridor I think suits Geelong but the Pies press requires sure handling from opposition.

Could be an important night for the likes of Stokes, Varcoe, Sidebottom, Blair etc 

bunyip

I believe most supporters of other clubs will be hoping Geelong wins if only to show that it can be done. The beauty of all this is Geelong seem to be playing as well as ever, for whatever reason. If Collinwood win we have no excuses. There are fantastic match ups all over the ground. I agree that our tall forwards aren't as good, but our small ones are, and they are in form. I'm talking about Chappy, Varcoe, Stokes and Menzel, and then theres Stevie J and Jimmy. Moons may not even play, and if we can squeeze a couple of goals out of jPod and Tommahawk and Otto, Collingwood will be looking at kicking maybe 16 goals to win against the stingiest backline ever.
They are capable of doing this, but it won't be easy, and will need a big effort from their key forwards.Someone is going to have to kick 4 or 5 goals. Collingwoods crumbing forward in Krak and Blair might bob up and have a blinder, they've already done it a couple of times. There are just so many variables, and I think thats what makes this game so exciting, you just don't know whats going to happen. I still think the cats can do it.

bunyip

i don't think Geelong are useing the corridor as much as in previous years Cruis, and they are kicking more than handpassing these days. Just a couple of minor changes to the game plan under Scotty. Geelong are a good wet weather team, so if it rains, I think it will favor us.

RiOtChEsS

definitely not using the corridor as much, i think it favors the fans :P should be a close and hard fought slog now 8)

Hawkahh

How much do you fags pay the umpires eaxh week haha been that way for 4 years now!!! joel selwood should change his name to freekick king! what a joke