Grimes!

Started by Slap, May 08, 2011, 11:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillMurray

I'm hoping Suckling makes a miraculous recovery or thats two core defenders riding my pine. awesome...

Slap

quite annoying..  A foot injury can be very disruptive.  Especially during rehab, and when he enters the game format aswell!  I may look to offload, and if he drops another 100k or something perhaps pick him up.

And I haven't thought that through, so its a big maybe at this point.

BillMurray

The big issue is that if we're forced to trade him out there are so few consistent back premiums (excluding the few I currently have). Injury plagued Adcock or Scotland (worrying bye during DT finals) are about the best at the moment from memory. Booourns

pinochio

Quote from: Holzman on May 09, 2011, 12:12:53 AM
im super tempted to pick up shaw.

Defiantly thinking along the same lines....but with broughton also out i have 250 to spend on a defender???

...do i take puopolo cause no others really...i have 250kish to spend???

Bluke

gram or hold - this also just reaffirms Heppells importance. I'm really starting to think the kid might be a keeper this year. Scoring well above 80 with very few other defenders scoring better than him, also had two LTI's so far (Suban and Waters) so another to Grimes would mean I've gotta go for someone durable.

Still - the early news is promising. Ill hold him for anything under 6 weeks.

Nails

I might go Grimes > K. Hunt

My team honestly couldn't get any worse so I don't think it'd really matter.

hardnut

Quote from: Nails on May 09, 2011, 01:04:03 AM
I might go Grimes > K. Hunt

My team honestly couldn't get any worse so I don't think it'd really matter.
sounds a bit fatalist Nails...I'm looking at a 1-3 start despite being top of total points (by a way) in my main league and ranked top 1%. DT can be a fickle game but a run of good luck is only round the corner!

Nails

Waters, Grimes, Higgins, Stevie J...

Swan and Pendles out this week with the latter 3 combining for 6 points...

Plus I picked spud rookies in Irons, Buckley, Cam Richardson and Charlie Dixon.

I completely missed Curnow and Darling. No amount of luck can turn this season around. I might start writing a book though

"How to NOT DT"

Lobbus

What about Swan Nick Smith as a bit of a smoky. Relatively cheap on the up and the midfield Golden oldies may drop off such Goodes, ROK and Bolton also Jack injured.

someguy

Currently my backline is:

Gibbs, Goddard, Deledio, Enright, Grimes, Heppell, Otten, (Stanley, Duigan, Lower)

Depending on how bad Grimes’ injury is, I’ll either be trading out him or Duigan for one of the players below (I’m willing to hold Grimes if he’ll be returning within the next month or so as my focus is league not overall). There doesn’t appear to be a huge amount of high quality backmen to choose from this year, especially due to Broughton/Duffield underperforming, and now Grimes. I’ve narrowed down my options to 5 players and given my thoughts on them:

Shaw:

• Scoring history: 75 (PA), 65 (NM), 105 (CARL), 85 (RICH), 110 (ESS), 117 (WB)
  • Was subbed off in the 3rd qtr of the North game, hence the poor score.
  • Playing for the best team in the competition â€" tends to bode well for DT scores (i.e. Geelong/St Kilda players of the past few seasons)
  • Can pull out scores of 120+ or scores under 60 â€" fine for overall as the total points is all that matters, but inconsistency is terrible for league matches
  • Usually susceptible to a heavy forward tag, however he has beaten all tags so far this year (has been tagged by Carrazzo, McVeigh, White, Ward)
  • Usually misses 3 or 4 games throughout the year. Hasn’t played the full 22 games since 2007
  • Faces St Kilda (82.9 average), Brisbane (76.8 ), Fremantle (55), and Geelong (86.1) during DT finals. Also there’s the high risk of the Pies resting players near the end of the year if they’ve secured top spot.

Gram:

• Scoring history: 106 (GEE), 82 (RICH), 116 (ESS), 84 (BL), 54 (ADE), __ (CARL)
  • Would prefer to wait for him to bottom out before I bring him in once he has bottomed out (i.e. once that 54 is out of his 3 game running average)
  • Prior to last year, he was very durable only missing 3 games in 4 years. Looks fit this year.
  • St Kilda struggling means his scores are likely to be inconsistent
  • Faces Collingwood (82.9), Sydney (52.8 ), North Melbourne (92.9), and Carlton (88.0) during DT finals. Sydney is a red flag but I should finish top 4 and I’ll back myself to win first week of finals giving me the bye during the second week.

Adcock:

• Scoring history: 53 (FRE), 112 (WB), 123 (MEL), 119 (STK), 95 (RICH), 91 (GC)
  • Obviously missed the bandwagon (I was one of the sorry souls that kept faith in Broughton), but I have plenty of cash and not phased at bringing him in despite his price rise assuming he maintains his good form.
  • Injury prone â€" played at total 24 games the past two seasons. No signs so far this year though (touch wood)
  • Playing for one of the worst teams in the competition which could impact his scoring (to this point though it hasn’t impacted negatively though). Have only seen one Lions game (vs Melbourne, Rnd 3), but based on his DT scores I’m assuming he’s been one of the better Lions players this year. Anyone able to tell me whether he’s been very damaging or just a DT slut? (i.e. is he likely to get tagged?)
  • Faces Gold Coast (91), Collingwood (83.8 ), West Coast (54.5), and Sydney (76.0) during DT finals.

Scotland:

• Scoring history: 79 (RICH), 86 (GC), 98 (CWD), 98 (ESS), 94 (ADE), 105 (SYD), __ (STK)
  • Scoring hasn’t been outstanding, but very consistent. He is capable of massive scores.
  • With a team of Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, etc, he shouldn’t get tagged to heavily.
  • Faces Fremantle (81), Hawthorn (72.7), BYE, and St Kilda (87.3) during DT finals. Already have Gibbs in my team meaning I would have two guns out during week 3 of the finals. This pretty much rules him out for me only thing is if I have him to help me win week 1 of finals and then trade him out before the bye. Trades could be running low then though.

Rawlings:

• Scoring history: 104 (WCE), 76 (CWD), 54 (FRE), 86 (RICH), 105 (PA), 105 (GEE)
  • Probably my least preferred option at this stage, but can’t ignore his scoring.
  • Age â€" turns 30 in June. Not sure that this should be a huge concern as he’s looking strong.
  • Incredible durability â€" only missed 2 games the past 5 seasons
  • Tagging â€" can get stuck with tagging jobs, but from memory it doesn’t seem to affect his scoring too dramatically (similar to K. Cornes in that sense)
  • Like Adcock, he’s playing for one of the worst teams in the competition which could impact his scoring (to this point though it hasn’t impacted negatively though).
  • Faces BYE, Fremantle (68.7), St Kilda (68.3) and Richmond (56.8 ) during DT finals. Bye during week one of the finals immediately puts me off as I’d be viewing this match as a must win in order to get the second week bye.

I’m leaning towards Adcock or Shaw. What are people’s thoughts? Agree/disagree with any points? Anything to add? Anyone else I should be looking at?

glynman90

I would probably go Shaw over Adcock. Now that Drummond is back I think we can expect to see a drop in Adcock's numbers. I know he did ok this week with Drummond but he got about 50 in the 4th quarter and you won't see that every week.

lukedogg17

Quote from: someguy on May 09, 2011, 01:35:42 AM
Currently my backline is:

Gibbs, Goddard, Deledio, Enright, Grimes, Heppell, Otten, (Stanley, Duigan, Lower)

Depending on how bad Grimes’ injury is, I’ll either be trading out him or Duigan for one of the players below (I’m willing to hold Grimes if he’ll be returning within the next month or so as my focus is league not overall). There doesn’t appear to be a huge amount of high quality backmen to choose from this year, especially due to Broughton/Duffield underperforming, and now Grimes. I’ve narrowed down my options to 5 players and given my thoughts on them:

Shaw:

• Scoring history: 75 (PA), 65 (NM), 105 (CARL), 85 (RICH), 110 (ESS), 117 (WB)
  • Was subbed off in the 3rd qtr of the North game, hence the poor score.
  • Playing for the best team in the competition â€" tends to bode well for DT scores (i.e. Geelong/St Kilda players of the past few seasons)
  • Can pull out scores of 120+ or scores under 60 â€" fine for overall as the total points is all that matters, but inconsistency is terrible for league matches
  • Usually susceptible to a heavy forward tag, however he has beaten all tags so far this year (has been tagged by Carrazzo, McVeigh, White, Ward)
  • Usually misses 3 or 4 games throughout the year. Hasn’t played the full 22 games since 2007
  • Faces St Kilda (82.9 average), Brisbane (76.8 ), Fremantle (55), and Geelong (86.1) during DT finals. Also there’s the high risk of the Pies resting players near the end of the year if they’ve secured top spot.

Gram:

• Scoring history: 106 (GEE), 82 (RICH), 116 (ESS), 84 (BL), 54 (ADE), __ (CARL)
  • Would prefer to wait for him to bottom out before I bring him in once he has bottomed out (i.e. once that 54 is out of his 3 game running average)
  • Prior to last year, he was very durable only missing 3 games in 4 years. Looks fit this year.
  • St Kilda struggling means his scores are likely to be inconsistent
  • Faces Collingwood (82.9), Sydney (52.8 ), North Melbourne (92.9), and Carlton (88.0) during DT finals. Sydney is a red flag but I should finish top 4 and I’ll back myself to win first week of finals giving me the bye during the second week.

Adcock:

• Scoring history: 53 (FRE), 112 (WB), 123 (MEL), 119 (STK), 95 (RICH), 91 (GC)
  • Obviously missed the bandwagon (I was one of the sorry souls that kept faith in Broughton), but I have plenty of cash and not phased at bringing him in despite his price rise assuming he maintains his good form.
  • Injury prone â€" played at total 24 games the past two seasons. No signs so far this year though (touch wood)
  • Playing for one of the worst teams in the competition which could impact his scoring (to this point though it hasn’t impacted negatively though). Have only seen one Lions game (vs Melbourne, Rnd 3), but based on his DT scores I’m assuming he’s been one of the better Lions players this year. Anyone able to tell me whether he’s been very damaging or just a DT slut? (i.e. is he likely to get tagged?)
  • Faces Gold Coast (91), Collingwood (83.8 ), West Coast (54.5), and Sydney (76.0) during DT finals.

Scotland:

• Scoring history: 79 (RICH), 86 (GC), 98 (CWD), 98 (ESS), 94 (ADE), 105 (SYD), __ (STK)
  • Scoring hasn’t been outstanding, but very consistent. He is capable of massive scores.
  • With a team of Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, etc, he shouldn’t get tagged to heavily.
  • Faces Fremantle (81), Hawthorn (72.7), BYE, and St Kilda (87.3) during DT finals. Already have Gibbs in my team meaning I would have two guns out during week 3 of the finals. This pretty much rules him out for me only thing is if I have him to help me win week 1 of finals and then trade him out before the bye. Trades could be running low then though.

Rawlings:

• Scoring history: 104 (WCE), 76 (CWD), 54 (FRE), 86 (RICH), 105 (PA), 105 (GEE)
  • Probably my least preferred option at this stage, but can’t ignore his scoring.
  • Age â€" turns 30 in June. Not sure that this should be a huge concern as he’s looking strong.
  • Incredible durability â€" only missed 2 games the past 5 seasons
  • Tagging â€" can get stuck with tagging jobs, but from memory it doesn’t seem to affect his scoring too dramatically (similar to K. Cornes in that sense)
  • Like Adcock, he’s playing for one of the worst teams in the competition which could impact his scoring (to this point though it hasn’t impacted negatively though).
  • Faces BYE, Fremantle (68.7), St Kilda (68.3) and Richmond (56.8 ) during DT finals. Bye during week one of the finals immediately puts me off as I’d be viewing this match as a must win in order to get the second week bye.

I’m leaning towards Adcock or Shaw. What are people’s thoughts? Agree/disagree with any points? Anything to add? Anyone else I should be looking at?

dudeeee....

i love dt as much as the next person but that had to have taken you an hour to write up. outrageous, sorry i couldnt be bothered reading something that long lol

hardnut

good write-up, very impressed  :)
I'm liking Gram a lot, have him in my long term best team so that's where I'd go.

Bluke

someguy

Quote from: lukedogg17 on May 09, 2011, 02:37:50 AM
dudeeee....

i love dt as much as the next person but that had to have taken you an hour to write up. outrageous, sorry i couldnt be bothered reading something that long lol

took about half an hour lol. When there's no clear option I like to be able to lay out all factors in front of me and work out what is most likely the best option. Don't expect everyone to read it, but I don't know why you felt the need to comment that you couldn't be bothered  ???

Quote from: glynman90 on May 09, 2011, 01:48:53 AM
I would probably go Shaw over Adcock. Now that Drummond is back I think we can expect to see a drop in Adcock's numbers. I know he did ok this week with Drummond but he got about 50 in the 4th quarter and you won't see that every week.

Good point. I think I may bring in Shaw this week and wait a few more weeks to see if Adcock can keep his form up with Drummond in. If he maintains his form, I'll bring him in, but if not it'll probably be Gram (assuming he maintains his form).