The merits of trading out Swan

Started by JDC!, May 06, 2011, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDC!

It has been mentioned a little bit about trading out Swan ... this is something I am pretty keen on doing. Most people shrugged it off saying it is a pretty silly idea but is it?

I was planning on taking a few risks and was going to swap Swan for someone like Sam Mitchell. This will let me avoid copping a zero in the midfield (also have Pendlebury btw) and will allow me to upgrade Higgins to Chapman. Obviously I plan to get Swan back in after his second bye which is only five weeks away so Swan will miss two of the next six rounds.

Risky I know, but can anyone see any sense in this?

thanme

valkorum

The ONLY reason I see merit in this idea is if you are going for overall but then I would look at going someone like Bartel (against the Roos at Skilled)

If you are playing for league - then I think this idea is silly

browny_wce

Quote from: JDC! on May 06, 2011, 02:31:33 PM

I was planning on taking a few risks and was going to swap Swan for someone like Sam Mitchell. This will let me avoid copping a zero in the midfield (also have Pendlebury btw) and will allow me to upgrade Higgins to Chapman. Obviously I plan to get Swan back in after his second bye which is only five weeks away so Swan will miss two of the next six rounds.

that may turn a few heads!

so thats twice you will ave to bench him, not to mention a hard game against the Cats down at home (at the MCG so thats bullsh!t not actually, Geelong would tear the Pies apart at Skilled, bloody Eddie)

Ziplock

Hell no.

This one looks almost reasonable, I mean, nearly anything to avoid a donut. Post us you midfield (and other positions if you have DPP links) and we'll see if there are better options for you. Let's try to nut this out though.

Mitchell- Avg 119 (honestly, I didn't know he was gunning it so hard), however, 3 of his four games were against adelaide, melbourne and westcoast, which aren't exactly the greatest teams. That being said, he did carve up against geelong as well.
So, coming up he has Port, Saints, Sydney, Westernbulldogs, freo, geelong, GC Essendon, then you'll have swan back in.
Sydney WB Freo and geelong back to back will probably take a toll on him and his dream team scores, I wouldn't be surprised if he averaged closer to 100 (or even less) for that run of games.

GC will naturally be a breeze, as always, but for such an easy game, he'll have a higher probability of being rested. Essendon should be difficult, but not overly so, especially considering he just rested/ played GC.

So, presuming I'm right, and over those 7 games, he averages low 100s, let's say 105, you're losing 15-25 points each week by having him instead of swan. That doubles if you have him captained instead of swan. So, you're losing about 120 points all up (maybe 240), for a maybe 130 points this week (260 as captain). 20 points isn't worth the trade.

thanme

But he's also getting Chapman too, which should make up the gap??

Ziplock

he's trading higgins for chapman. Premium for premium, even with higgins 'injury' atm... I don't know. Besides, chappy doesn't have the safest injury record either. And Swan's draw coming up isn't too difficult either, which'll widen the gap. I suspect that with Ablett gone, his avg vs geelong should go up as well.

If higgins comes back next week (which he could/ probably will), and starts pumping out 100s, then you've just traded for maybe 10 points a round, and lost a considerable amount of money on the deal. I mean, you get the extra 50-90 points of fielding chappy over higgins this week, but is it worth it? Surely there's better options for chapman.

I'm just going to say flat out no, trade someone else in the cover the donut.

JDC!

Firstly, thanks for the replies.

Now after using all my DPP this is my side for this week. 22 trades btw.

Gibbs, Deledio, Goddard, Grimes, Duigan, Stanley, Lower, (Suban, Otten, Hibberd)

Swan, Boyd, Heppell, Goodes, Anthony, Harris, (Pendlebury, Liberatore, Bewick)

Sandilands, Cox (Smith, Derickx)

Franklin, Knights, Higgins, Riewoldt, Hurley, Tapscott, Matera (Krakouer, Prestia, Richardson)

BOLD - Not playing

Swan's next six weeks:

Bye - (0)
Geelong - (110)
Adelaide - (130)
West Coast - (125)
St Kilda - (115)
Melbourne - (125)
Bye - (0)

Total - 605

Mitchell's next six weeks:

Port Adelaide - (110)
St Kilda (100)
Sydney (105)
Bulldogs (105)
Fremantle (105)
Geelong (110)
Gold Coast (130)

Total - 650

This is obviously just guess work. If both kept up their averages for the next seven weeks, Mitchell would gain approx. 213 points over the next seven rounds. Not 100% sold on Sam Mitchell as the trade target for Swan. There's a few other options like Mundy, Redden and Bartel that interest me.

Also in regards to Higgins, I'd obviously prefer to keep him but I'm not sure I can trust his injuries. If he has groin soreness that has kept him out for a couple of weeks there is no promise that he will be back next week. If it is osteitis pubis then you might aswell trade him because it'll hamper him for a fair while yet. Some of these quotes have me a little worried:

"they are intent on taking a cautious approach with the dangerous forward and midfield star"
"We're not 100 per cent sure what it is. He's had it before."

Plus the fact I am currently sitting on two donuts!

What do I do?!

Master Q

I'll pay you $100 if Mitchell scores like that.

ShaynoB

Downgrade Suban to a rook(pup,jacobs etc). Then upgrade Libba to a someone... Cant say who cause don't know how much money u have. This gives u an emerg for ur back + don't cop a 0 in ur mid. Just throwing it out there.

Master Q

Quote from: ShaynoB on May 06, 2011, 06:56:47 PM
Downgrade Suban to a rook(pup,jacobs etc). Then upgrade Libba to a someone... Cant say who cause don't know how much money u have. This gives u an emerg for ur back + don't cop a 0 in ur mid. Just throwing it out there.
That's not bad.

JDC!

That's a possibility but I was thinking of going Suban to a fallen back premium in the near future (maybe Broughton) and I still think Liberatore has a few price gains. Plus it still leaves me with a zero in the forward line plus Higgins' uncertain return.

MasterQ, obviously Mitchell won't score like that (miscalculated total too  >:() but would it be unreasonable to suggest that he will average 109 over the next seven weeks, compared to Swan's 121?

Master Q

Quote from: JDC! on May 06, 2011, 07:11:07 PM

That's a possibility but I was thinking of going Suban to a fallen back premium in the near future (maybe Broughton) and I still think Liberatore has a few price gains. Plus it still leaves me with a zero in the forward line plus Higgins' uncertain return.

MasterQ, obviously Mitchell won't score like that (miscalculated total too  >:() but would it be unreasonable to suggest that he will average 109 over the next seven weeks, compared to Swan's 121?
Don't go to Broughton.

Yes it is unreasonable to suggest that.

JDC!

Quote from: Master Q on May 06, 2011, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: JDC! on May 06, 2011, 07:11:07 PM

Don't go to Broughton.

Yes it is unreasonable to suggest that.

How so? What about the other midfielders I mentioned (Bartel, Redden, Mundy)?

Higgins --> Chapman will also give me a big boost. And as I said, I don't trust Higgins. Plus I am going to cop 0s.

What would you suggest I do? In schools comp and points are vital.

Master Q

Mitchell won't average 109. Bartel might. Redden won't. Mundy won't either.