Crazy idea?

Started by Memphistopheles, May 05, 2011, 05:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphistopheles

Maybe a lack of sleep or missing breakfast is affecting my brain power, but after some serious procrastination at work I have come up with the crazy idea, which I think might help me get a leg up on other teams in the overall competition.
The plan is as follows:
Swan ---> Chapman this week. :O (Pick up probably 100-120 points, although he’s a serious contender for the C which makes it 200-240 points).
Live without Swan for two weeks as his price drops and ride Foley’s price increases for the next two weeks.
Then Foley ---> Swan just before he plays West Coast (and a game before Foley has the bye).
Chapman is not likely to score much less than Swan over the next two rounds.
In fact with two homes games (admittedly one against a Swan-led Collingwood)  and a love for Skilled Stadium think he may equal or outscore Swan.
Thoughts?
I know the don’t trade out a premium strategy/don’t sideways trade, however I have plenty left (20) and it will just be two rounds without Swan.
Essentially it is trading Foley for Chapman, but instead of getting him in two rounds I get him now, but the tradeoff is I miss two weeks of Swans scores and have Chappys instead.
Please also bear in mind that my goal is to beat one guy in my league overall and he doesn’t have Chapman.

fertalong

It's not worth it. You're basically wasting a trade.

Ziplock

unless you are very very very close to the top of the ladder I wouldn't do it.

JT23

if you got the trades then go or it!! I like the strategy

Memphistopheles

Quote from: fertalong on May 05, 2011, 05:11:02 PM
It's not worth it. You're basically wasting a trade.

I can afford it and it gives me 100+ points on the team I want to beat.

Ziplock

I wouldn't do this for a single league win, it could bite you in the long haul.

If you were ranked in the top 100 say, then I would say consider it for the edge.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ziplock on May 05, 2011, 05:21:32 PM
I wouldn't do this for a single league win, it could bite you in the long haul.

If you were ranked in the top 100 say, then I would say consider it for the edge.

Sorry it's not to get the league match win this week. I'm not playing him.

I just want to beat him overall.

DG

id look at how much money you will make by doing this as it's obviously costing you an extra trade over that period (instead of foley to chappy). if it's not at least 100k then not really worth it as you'll prob only gain an extra 80 points over that period (chappy 2 x 110, rookie 2 x 70). unless you are close to winning the whole thing, or really really really need to win the league this week dont let you emotions gets the better of you! Good luck  ;)

Ziplock

ok... mm, I dunno, as I said could come back and bite you pretty hard... I don't like it, you're essentially using like 3-4 trades in a situation that would ordinarily on cost 2...

Memphistopheles

Quote from: DG on May 05, 2011, 05:26:43 PM
id look at how much money you will make by doing this as it's obviously costing you an extra trade over that period (instead of foley to chappy). if it's not at least 100k then not really worth it as you'll prob only gain an extra 80 points over that period (chappy 2 x 110, rookie 2 x 70). unless you are close to winning the whole thing, or really really really need to win the league this week dont let you emotions gets the better of you! Good luck  ;)
Money involved will be something like this:
Swan is estimated to drop around 26,000 over the next two games due to his massive BE next game, which he won’t reach and a similarly high one the week after.
Foley is set to rise around 58,000 in the next two weeks if he keeps his average up.
Chapman should stay around the same price, or go up slightly if he blitzes it.
Swan ---> Chapman banks $25,900

Question really is for me â€" Is using one extra trade worth the points and money i will save.
Given I have 20 left I think it might be.

DG

are you a chance to win the whole thing? if not then 80 points is not worth a trade, even if it is coupled with making about 80k. if you just want to beat your mate, im not sure it'll make that much difference, there is more chance of being able to make extra points late if you save your trades. Saving trades for later / finals is a much better option i think, especially with the byes.

Elvs12

Is a trade worth 70pts and $25k?  Not for me it isn't.

Ziplock

so, by not having to field a rookie, and instead chappy, you get an extra 50 points if you have decent rookies. if chappy's your captain and outscores your other players by 20 points, you get like an extra 70-90 points.

general rule of thumb is 100k or 20 points per game, you may pick up 100 points for this round, but there's still 17 rounds left... that's not even 6 points per round difference.

not worth it.

DG

maybe have breakfast tomorrow and see what you think then  ;)

Chopps

not worth it, are all these swan out options dr dt rd 4 inspired coz they dont make sense.