Main Menu

Survival

Started by RiOtChEsS, May 01, 2011, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiOtChEsS

Port Adelaide are in dire straits on the field and off, if they cant get the Adelaide Oval meal ticket punched this Monday it could eventually mean curtains or relocation.
They need 75 per cent of South Australian Cricket Association members vote on Monday to relinquish control of the venue to football.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/adelaide-oval-saga-reaches-last-fork-in-the-road/story-e6frea6u-1226047260270
being that most of them arent fresh vibrant young thinking chaps i dont like their chances, what i do hope is these members strongly consider the future of Port Adelaide aswell as the history of the ground before making a decision.
We love the Adelaide Oval but State Cricket is struggling to put bottoms on seats and internationally it sees 5 days of test cricket 3 ODI's and a 20/20, this isnt financially sustainable in the long term either... so realistically this is best for all involved to go ahead and play AFL permanently at the Adelaide Oval but will they?

McRooster

Marcz, I couldn't agree more.

However it will become the first step in the euthanisation of the SANFL if it is succesful. The 'No' voters from Monday's vote are largely against modernisation and wish to preserve heritage - an attitude that has held back Adelaide as a 'backwater' for many years across many landscapes of business and investment.
These 'No' voters are against drop in pitches (something that retired guru Les Burdett is in SUPPORT of) and argue the nostalgia will be lost and the hills view eroded from the Members side. The only thing that remains today at Adelaide Oval that is MORE than 100 years old are the Moreton Bay Fig trees that abound int the surrounding parklands. Of any structural significance that remains are the arches underneath the western members stand over the Chappel Bar (which have been preserved in the current stage of redevelopment and integrated beatifully) and of course the scoreboard, which later this year celebrates its 100th birthday.

A couple more related links...
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,20002.msg163173.html#msg163173
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,21739.msg188495.html#msg188495
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,21039.msg178584.html#msg178584

p.s. the courtesy car (golf cart) driver that takes me and my family up to the gate from our car park area (if you read the last link above, you'll understand why we get a cart) came up with the following quip last night about the Power....
Driver: "Did you know the Power's new nickname was 12 volt?"
McRooster: "Nah, I haven't heard that"
Driver: "It's because they go flat after only a quarter"  :D

nas

Me > I am just sitting up nere bleeding.

Think the saga re Adelaide oval goes back a lot further tho which caused the rift between the SANFL & the SACA. Hence the building of Footy Park / AAMI.  I remember the very first year drove from way down South to AAMI to watch the Crows (Yes I said Crows) play & left early, drove past Seaton HS car park, went all the way around the oval just to come back & park in the Seaton HS. Missed the first Quarter whith this debacle re parking & yes if they did go to Adelaide Oval bus, train, whatever is / would be easier. Allthough with Power games could leave a lot later due to NO crowds.

Even talking about development what about the LeCornu site in Nth Adelaide as a reference to the Backwater statement springs to mind as well as others do.

The bullet has to be bitten IMO for this to go ahead, not only for Power & the Crows as well as the SACA for money gain into the coffers also.

Hey I could be wrong but hopefully this gets up for the Power as would hate to see them fold.

As for their performance well I will leave that alone for another rant. Got to go an get sewn up as bleeding everywhere over the carpet. Lol  >:(

McRooster

Of all the 'yes' voters that I know, a large % will recind their membership if this does not go ahead - something that the SACA board has not given enough credit to.

RiOtChEsS

i cannot confirm it with a link but mate has told me 80% voted yes :)

McRooster

Details to follow....but I am hearing YES as well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh the Dizzy heights  ::)

Today we move forward,
In more ways than one,
No more backwater,
Cricket and Footy are ONE.

RiOtChEsS

McRooster

Let me say what most of you already know...... I don't like Port Adelaide  :o

This decision ensures the life line that the PAFC needs and as much as it pains me to say, SA Footy needs the PAFC to stay prosperous and alive. A jab in the arm that will spark life into many veins of Adelaide society. Selfishly for me it will bring fresh life to an area of industry very near the ground development that I'm involved in. New faces, new people, new investment, and new hope to a stagnant area will breathe life into a choking backwater.

80.3% is the official vote (75% required)

Great News!!!!

RiOtChEsS

yew beauty :) and i also agree i do not like the PAFC but i love Football and would hate to see them forced into relocation or folding more so im happy for the city of Adelaide and i applaud the members that opened their minds to the fact that this was more than a Football/Cricket decision...

long live our great city...

by the way have u seen the latest Miss Adelaide/Miss Port Adelaide Contest Winners?

McRooster

Its like a before/after image from The Biggest Loser Finale  :P

Today the members of the SACA have proved that Adelaide's future is The Biggest Winner!

nas

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: naste on May 03, 2011, 09:11:34 AM
Finally.

Finally indeed. I was ready to leave.

SA used to be a great progressive state... 60's 70's fantastic... 80's 90's 00's something bad happened. Let's hope this is the first decision of many to turn this ship around.

nas

Quote from: Wes Mantooth on May 07, 2011, 07:15:58 PM
Quote from: naste on May 03, 2011, 09:11:34 AM
Finally.

Finally indeed. I was ready to leave.
SA used to be a great progressive state... 60's 70's fantastic... 80's 90's 00's something bad happened. Let's hope this is the first decision of many to turn this ship around.

Well will need a lot more than that to stop people leaving or even returning. IMO.

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: Marcz on May 03, 2011, 01:06:02 AM
yew beauty :) and i also agree i do not like the PAFC but i love Football and would hate to see them forced into relocation or folding more so im happy for the city of Adelaide and i applaud the members that opened their minds to the fact that this was more than a Football/Cricket decision...

long live our great city...

by the way have u seen the latest Miss Adelaide/Miss Port Adelaide Contest Winners?

this joke is a bit old marcz... its almost been around as long as the last time the crows won a premiership ;)

RiOtChEsS

some jokes last forever ;D

in all seriousness tho im a Blues Fan so the only interest i have in this is the betterment of our state ;)