Main Menu

TV Deal

Started by valkorum, April 27, 2011, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

hawk_88

It appears to be more than speculation; in fact given the amount of different reports that are coming out saying the same thing it appears to be a done deal.

Although I am not a massive fan of 7's broadcast and would much prefer 9 to be broadcasting, Foxtel showing all games live will be fantastic, even if 4 of them have to have ads. I know it means that those without Foxtel still wont get the games live, however I read recently that Foxtel is in 30% of Australian homes and is consistent nationally so you wont miss out on a game based on your locality.

valkorum

I have Foxtel so that would be awesome (for me :P)

hawk_88

Watched it and it was fantastic... despite the hour delay....

Key points:

• 3 live games on channel 7 every week. Saturday arvo will be delayed for a total of 4 matches on free to air.
  • Channel 7 will customise which games are shown in each state apart from Victoria such that every game that a team from that state is involved in will be aired.
  • All 4 games on channel 7 will be aired in every state. In states where Rugby is the main sport, this will be on 7 Mate (the digital channel). I think this is much better than the game being shown on the main 7 channel at midnight.
  • All 9 games will be shown on Foxtel live with no ads. This will be on a new AFL dedicated channel called "Fox Sports AFL" and will not replace an existing channel.
  • Telstra will stream matches live online for mobile devices and their IPTV service. My understanding is this may include international services as well. They didn't go into detail but it appears it will be a premium service which will mean it will have to be purchased whether that be through subscription or on demand.
  • The deal is worth $1.25 billion.

Alex7089

So crap that 7 gets all the games. Absolute shower. They can't broadcast for shower...Still good we get 3 live game every week and every final ;D

bomberboy0618

Quote from: Alex7089 on April 28, 2011, 05:47:58 PM
So crap that 7 gets all the games. Absolute shower. They can't broadcast for shower...Still good we get 3 live game every week and every final ;D
+1000000000
If only our rort of foxtel had lasted longer :(

j959

From afl.com website:

•Friday night football will be telecast live into Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales, the ACT and Tasmania on free-to-air television, near live into South Australia, and on a reduced delay into Western Australia
-----------

flower! i'm in a football state and NSW/ACT gets live games over WA!! what the flower?!?!

ah well, looks like i'll still be going to the pub on Friday evenings ... wait, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all?!?!   ;)

maybe i will get some Swans games live though?!??  :o      ;)

hawk_88

Quote from: Alex7089 on April 28, 2011, 05:47:58 PM

I would prefer 9 or 10 over 7. However it appears Foxtel will be broadcasting these games with their own broadcast team. Foxtel has the best coverage by far ATM so this is only a good thing.

Also, 7 will most likely on-sell one of the games. They said that channel 10 would probably get the first shot at it though.

Quote from: j959 on April 28, 2011, 05:58:41 PM
From afl.com website:

•Friday night football will be telecast live into Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales, the ACT and Tasmania on free-to-air television, near live into South Australia, and on a reduced delay into Western Australia
-----------

flower! i'm in a football state and NSW/ACT gets live games over WA!! what the flower?!?!

ah well, looks like i'll still be going to the pub on Friday evenings ... wait, maybe that's not such a bad thing after all?!?!   ;)

maybe i will get some Swans games live though?!??  :o      ;)

I assume that is the case because they would be broadcast at 5:30 WA time otherwise which I can see would be quite an issue for channel 7. Could always get Foxtel  ;)

North Melbournes Finest

So if there's only going to be one new AFL channel on Foxtel, how will they be able to play "every game live" if there are 2 games running at the same time what happens? one on the new footy channel and one on Fox Sports one?

hawk_88

Quote from: North Melbournes Finest on April 28, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
So if there's only going to be one new AFL channel on Foxtel, how will they be able to play "every game live" if there are 2 games running at the same time what happens? one on the new footy channel and one on Fox Sports one?

Spot on. I would imagine the Foxtel exclusive matches would be on the AFL channel but that is just a guess.

Master Q

Is this the end of 10?

I have Foxtel - none of this is bad for me although I still want ten to have footy.

CrowsFan

Great news that I will finally be able to watch Friday night games live in Sydney :D

MissPiesFF

Heads up on channel 7. They will play 4 matches per week. In SA all Port Adelaide and Adel games will be live, in QLD all GCS and Brissy Lions games will be live. In WA all WCE games will be broadcast live. In NSW all Syd Swans, Greater Western Sydney Giants games will be live in conjunction of other matches totaling to four live matches. In Victoria 4 matches per round will be played live.

Fox Sports have agreed to play at least 4 games live plus every single home and away season game there after. They are doing this across Fox Sports 1,2,3 where games overlap. Seven has also committed to playing every final game live as have fox sports. The only right Fox sports does not have is the Grand Final live. This will be replayed. Channel 7 will broadcast the Grand final live.

hawk_88

Quote from: MissPiesFF on April 29, 2011, 03:17:01 AM
In Victoria 4 matches per round will be played live.

I believe it is 3 plus one delayed match on a saturday afternoon.