Main Menu

Absolute AFL

Started by Gava Magpies101, April 18, 2011, 08:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gava Magpies101

Hey Guys
I have just started this website. It is for Supercoach only!!! Tell me what you think.
http://everythingafl.yolasite.com/
Thanks

Gava Magpies101

It is still a work in progress and soon to come is the injury update for round 4

Gava Magpies101

what does everyone think??

Nathans Brawlers

Gava Magpies101

anyone have any suggestions???

Pokerface

um.. what does it do to differnetiate from other sites? the news is straight out of the herald sun. Don't spell review as revue. And seriously, bargain Michael Coad? You do realise he did his hammy don't you?

Pokerface

yes, differnetiate was a typo, not a spelling error :)

Pokerface

One more comment now I've just seen the picture gallery - where do the photos come from? Is there copyright on them?

Gava Magpies101

Yeah mate as I said it isnt perfect, I just started the website and there will be some mistakes as all websites have. Yes the articles are from the Herald Sun but that is only for the first couple of days so i can focus on other areas of the website such a game reports, player profiles and other areas such as VFL reports.

So calm down mate

Gava Magpies101

Also mate from what I can find there has been no confirmation at Coad doing his hamstring it might have just been a strain. So dont get all angry at me mate

tferrier18

oh wow, you have a lot of work to do on that site.

For starters, the black background clashes horribly with the white graphics on the home page.

I went to your Feature stories page and saw every story posted in full, which is very unprofessional

I've done a bit of web design throughout my course and you've broken many good design principles.

Everyone thinks it's easy to make a website because they go to so many everyday, but once you actually start creating one, you realise how hard it is to fit everything together with the right colours and layout to make it look professional.

Beside the fact that your website is hosted by a free provider, I knew instantly that it was an amateur job. I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but it's for the best that you know how much work you have ahead of you. I'm sure you'll be able to get it looking better...it's just a matter of looking at other sites for ideas, drawing up some sketches and getting it all happening.

Gava Magpies101

Yep no thats alright thanks, as I said i have just started and yes it is my first time of making a site. Thanks for the criticism thats fine.

tferrier18

You'll be right..just try and improve one thing everyday and you'll be on your way.

Gava Magpies101

By saying that I have broken many design principles. What do you mean?? What have I broken??

tferrier18

I'll give you a few examples...

Your Homepage:
There's no structure to your homepage (Content-wise & Layout)
- You have a whole bunch of random stuff on your homepage (A ladder, a fixture, a chatroom, a video & a sc image) It's almost like you've just chucked everything on the one page.
-Another tip: Don't include your email address on a webpage because that's how it will get screen scraped (not that many bots will be targeting your website)
-Layout of your homepage is also all over the shop. Nothing is aligned. Your text down the bottom is a different size to the text up the top.

You need to sort out your background colour as well because the black is clashing with everything.
And definitely get rid of the chat/forum thing on your homepage.

I'm not going to nurse you through this but a good idea would be to go and look through other websites for their layout and once you have a solid layout (the layout underneath your main links is important), then worry about your colour scheme.

Your top half of the page has a decent layout (all be it with a boring banner), but the rest is in shambles...