Main Menu

Sub-conscious vs Unconscious

Started by MissPiesFF, April 06, 2011, 08:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissPiesFF

Has anyone else noticed that over the last few years people now use the word 'unconscious' instead of 'sub-conscious'. Ok example Dane Swan unconsciously knows what to do with the ball. My point is to be 'unconscious' is to not be aware of anything at all, where as 'sub-conscious' means to be  fully aware of your surroundings yet one applies a task that is second to nature.

I wish people would get back to the real definition of sub-conscious and stop replacing it with unconscious.

roo boys!

YES! My sister is an offender of this. I constantly correct her, I think she is getting better ;)

Usman

SOO weird you would say that. i said it yesterday SUB-CONSCIOUSLY. No joke i did but ye i agree its frustrating, i gave myself the lecture ;)

bomberboy0618

I just hate explaining the meanings of words that i regularly use to my friends :P
Like today my friend asks me to explain what contempt meams, then i end up explaining what figuratively means, and doing it three times as he doesnt listen

Justin Bieber

I had to learn this stuff last year for Psychology. State of awareness for unconscious.

Figuratively and Literally are always mixed up as well ::).

roo boys!

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on April 06, 2011, 11:15:00 PM
I just hate explaining the meanings of words that i regularly use to my friends :P
Like today my friend asks me to explain what contempt meams, then i end up explaining what figuratively means, and doing it three times as he doesnt listen
Try...confining your vocabulary around your friends :P

bomberboy0618

Alex7089

Quote from: roo boys! on April 06, 2011, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: bomberboy0618 on April 06, 2011, 11:15:00 PM
Try...confining your vocabulary around your friends :P
What does confining/vocabulary mean? :P :P
DISCLAIMER: :P
Quote from: Hellopplz on April 06, 2011, 11:21:55 PM
I had to learn this stuff last year for Psychology. State of awareness for unconscious.

Figuratively and Literally are always mixed up as well ::).
This pisses me off more -_-
Maybe because my friends don't get subconscious and conscious mixed up any more ;D
I still have one friend who says 'bet' instead of 'beat' and versed instead of 'played' ... ... ... ... ... ...
But soon enough *evil laugh*

roo boys!

Yeah like half my school says "Yeah I bet him in the race!" or something like that :P

ossie85

"Would of" instead of "Would've" or "Would have" is a gripe of mine.

.... but English is a weird language.

For instance, why does flammable and inflammable mean the SAME thing?!

Alex7089

Quote from: roo boys! on April 07, 2011, 08:22:34 AM
Yeah like half my school says "Yeah I bet him in the race!" or something like that :P
Yeah, or 'I versed him on the weekend'
Quote from: ossie85 on April 07, 2011, 08:26:05 AM

"Would of" instead of "Would've" or "Would have" is a gripe of mine.

.... but English is a weird language.

I learnt this the hard way...When I was really young I set my dads inflammable aftershave on fire thinking it wouldn't because it was inflammable.

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on April 07, 2011, 08:26:05 AM
That's the same as why do we have 6 or 7 different pronounciations of the sound "ough"

1) Though
2) Thought
3) Dough
4) Rough
5) Through
6) Cough

I'm sure there is another one, but can't think of it ATM

Alex7089

Or why do we have so many words that mean the same thing?

CrowsFan

Don't you pronounce 1 and 3 the same Fletch?

Something from Lano and Woodley here, but why are there so many different spellings of how to make the sound I?

e.g. Hi Guy, Try Thai High Pie