Main Menu

Sports Bet

Started by MissPiesFF, April 05, 2011, 05:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissPiesFF

To Montz,

I know I have put this idea to you before about placing a Sports Bet ad up top and I would like you to reconsider. Yes I understand there are minors on the site and you feel it is morally incorrect. The AFL is Carlton Draught and it is everywhere there are minors, as is all Sport betting advertising.

If the 18+ members had an easy access ad where they would be able to go straight to their fav betting site the revenue for you would be phenomenal on affiliates.

I do not bet myself, I know a lot of 18+ members do though.

To FF members,

Revenue on the site = Montz would be able to have more flexibility with the site we all have deeply grown to love.

What is your opinion on Montz putting up a Sports Bet ad?

Bazinga

Great idea MP. I use sportsbet and I love it.

I don't see any difference between m0nty advertising sportsbet on FF & seeing Shane Crawfords beak advertising sportsbet on TV. Kiddies watch TV ads too, so to me it is the same.

hawk_88

I am going to say from the get go that I don't punt. I am not morally against it, in fact I play poker in tournaments and a little blackjack at times, but I don't like to bet when I have no real control over the outcome.

Anyway, if Monty has a moral objection to exposing kids to marketing about online betting agencies then I would encourage him to follow his convictions.

Again, I don't think that any damage will be done in exposing kids to things of that nature, but the important thing is that you feel comfortable in your own actions. I agree that the potential revenue would be fantastic if you are open to that though.

roo boys!

Quote from: Bazinga on April 05, 2011, 08:23:58 PM

I don't see any difference between m0nty advertising sportsbet on FF & seeing Shane Crawfords beak advertising sportsbet on TV. Kiddies watch TV ads too, so to me it is the same.
I could swear you were still in school....

ossie85

Let's be honest, betting advertisements are EVERYWHERE. And don't worry, it will eventually go the way of cigarette commercials and not be allowed.

I really hope you don't m0nty, because I do find the constant pushing of gambling horrible (don't get me wrong, I like doing it myself), but of course it is up to you.

bomberboy0618

Quote from: roo boys! on April 05, 2011, 11:11:54 PM
Quote from: Bazinga on April 05, 2011, 08:23:58 PM

I could swear you were still in school....
i thought he was about 20...
Personally as a minor i wouldnt mind it, plusull get a lot of revenue

m0nty

I appreciate MissPies' enthusiasm and her interest in keeping the site strong. Here is my position.

Back in 2009, I took a Betfair sponsorship, which at the time was about half the annual revenue for the site for about a quarter of the ad inventory. I needed it back then, because the site was less than half as popular as it is now and I had a business partner back then with whom I shared the profits.

Nowadays I am running the site by myself, and I can earn enough not to have to take these ads. I probably wouldn't go so far these days as to say that it would be morally incorrect to put a betting ad on a fantasy site. Of course, just about every other fantasy site does, including DT Talk and the official comp sites. However, I am in a position now where I can choose whether or not to take them, and I choose not to.

Though I never set out for the site to be this way, I kind of like the fact that a parent can see that their kid is on FanFooty and know that they're not going to be subjected to inappropriate language (swear filter and moderated chat) or the wrong kind of advertising.

8-6 Suited

To be honest though... I'd rather see a sports bet advertisement on each page instead of RVSP Online Dating ads...

ossie85

Quote from: m0nty on April 06, 2011, 01:44:15 PM
I appreciate MissPies' enthusiasm and her interest in keeping the site strong. Here is my position.

Back in 2009, I took a Betfair sponsorship, which at the time was about half the annual revenue for the site for about a quarter of the ad inventory. I needed it back then, because the site was less than half as popular as it is now and I had a business partner back then with whom I shared the profits.

Nowadays I am running the site by myself, and I can earn enough not to have to take these ads. I probably wouldn't go so far these days as to say that it would be morally incorrect to put a betting ad on a fantasy site. Of course, just about every other fantasy site does, including DT Talk and the official comp sites. However, I am in a position now where I can choose whether or not to take them, and I choose not to.

Though I never set out for the site to be this way, I kind of like the fact that a parent can see that their kid is on FanFooty and know that they're not going to be subjected to inappropriate language (swear filter and moderated chat) or the wrong kind of advertising.

Truly premium position :)

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on April 06, 2011, 02:38:57 PM

I'd second that.

stevemac

Quote from: Fletch74 on April 06, 2011, 03:41:41 PM

I'd second that.
+1
common sense and morality are commodities nowadays

MissPiesFF

Quote from: stevemac on April 06, 2011, 07:27:37 PM
Quote from: Fletch74 on April 06, 2011, 03:41:41 PM

I'd second that.
+1
common sense and morality are commodities nowadays
Yes I agree being a parent myself and if Montz is in a position where cash flow is enough then I am happy with that.

PS. Montz knows I was thinking of the strength in the site and nothing more :)

elephants

Quote from: 8-6 Suited on April 06, 2011, 02:09:48 PM
To be honest though... I'd rather see a sports bet advertisement on each page instead of RVSP Online Dating ads...
agreed haha

MissPiesFF