Is Petrie just good bench cover?

Started by oldshepp, April 04, 2011, 06:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldshepp

I (like many others I'm sure) selected Petrie as a forward and basically burnt the 4th ruck position by selecting Joel Tippett for MPP.  The theory being Petrie is good cover for Cox and Sandi when the byes hit.

After watching Zac Smith and Matera on the weekend I got to thinking

What if I swap Petrie to the ruck bench with Tippett and then trade Tippett for a performing forward rookie

I currently have Tapscott, Richardson and Prestia as my forward rookies.  If Petrie remained in my forward line non would need to start but if I move him I would need a starting rookie each week.

I would mainly be doing it for the money because obviously Tippett is not going to make any and if Smith maintains his form he is a viable ruck bench player anyway.

What do people think?

Haven't used any trades yet and Hibberd and Tippett only players not getting a game.

nathan11

toying up with this myself, if cyril misses this week i am going to have to have petrie as ruck only as will need to bring in a player for cyril due to nm's bye

supercoach addict

Petrie is way too expensive to have on the bench IMO. Wasted cash.

j959

Quote from: supercoach addict on April 04, 2011, 06:32:07 PM
i agree, you got him in for a reason, most probably as cover for Sandi/Cox/etc during byes and at his price he was cheap as chips to fill that 6th or 7th forward position.

otherwise you got him as a starter with Sandi ...

if you get rid of Tippett you are burning your MPP flexibility that you got Petrie in for in the first place ...

bit of a waste of a strategy IMO

roo boys!

He's normally my second ruck but with the bye he's on the bench. Cyril better not get a week...

Sammocorw

I considered Petrie but went Sandi, Cox, Smith & McCauley and am very happy with my ruck set up as Smith performed well against Carlton & McCauley doesn't look that far away for Brisbane.

Prospector_1

Quote from: supercoach addict on April 04, 2011, 06:32:07 PM

I started him on my ruck bench, with no JTippett. If/when JTippett gets games, or if/when I need the forward cover, I can bring in JT. If that never happens, at least I have solid ruck cover (McCauley, bottom price, is at R4).

Prospector_1

Quote from: roo boys! on April 04, 2011, 06:39:12 PM
He's normally my second ruck but with the bye he's on the bench. Cyril better not get a week...
Well, R&B, looks like the alternative to 1 week is 2 - surely you don't want that?

CrowsFan

Quote from: Prospector_1 on April 04, 2011, 07:01:28 PM
Well, R&B, looks like the alternative to 1 week is 2 - surely you don't want that?
Cyril would be stupid not to accept the charge at take 1 week, instead of contest it and get 2. So much for all those people asking this week whether they should trade Buddy to Rioli...

j959

Quote from: CrowsFan on April 04, 2011, 07:17:54 PM
Quote from: Prospector_1 on April 04, 2011, 07:01:28 PM
Cyril would be stupid not to accept the charge at take 1 week, instead of contest it and get 2. So much for all those people asking this week whether they should trade Buddy to Rioli...
lucky for them - decision made and they won't learn the 'no sideways trade' lesson ... til next time!   ;)

Perthwildcat

Petrie is a good player.  Just has to find his feet again after a bad injury.  Will need a few games to find his stride.  His first game back was against the Pies and they did get pumped.

oldshepp

Wow

Some quick replies and good suggestions too

Might hang on to him as a forward I think

You never know what might happen with injuries  e.g. Sandi injured the week Cox has the bye etc and until then he is a viable scoring option up forward

He should also be a reasonable cash cow once he regains some of his previous form

SIXX66

well youre lucky he didnt get a week..... he got 2!

roo boys!

Yeah....oh well as long as he accepts the one match ban then I can work around it. Same with what Pros said.

McKernan/Darling can do their job for one week.

tferrier18

Quote from: SIXX66 on April 04, 2011, 10:38:58 PM

well youre lucky he didnt get a week..... he got 2!

He got two with an option to take an early plea which will reduce it to one week.

On Petrie - Petrie is a sc gun. Prior to his foot injury he missed two games in 5 seasons and avg'd 87 over these seasons. I seriously don't understand the logic in people judging a player's season off one match (Especially a match in which North got absolutely flogged and only one North player scored 100).

You've got a very good setup with j. tippett as R4 and petrie in your fwd line and I wouldn't suggest making any trades and tampering with this. Keep Petrie & the mpp. He's a startable option for your fwd line and great back up ruckman.