Supercoach Round 1 Review (Article)

Started by North Melbournes Finest, April 01, 2011, 07:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Melbournes Finest

Quote“The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club wont be worth a dime.” This can also be applied to the game we play called Supercoach, you might have a bunch of guys that can get you 100-130. But unless you have those glue guys filling out the team earning minimal money then you’re not going to be able to keep up with the real teams.
The first week is the hardest of all the weeks in Supercoach, preseason form and scouting can only get you so far, after it’s all said and done, you can only pick the players, it’s up to them from there. Only 30% of Supercoaches were able to crack the 2000 mark, which I’d consider to be a decent score for any given week, which really amplifies how difficult this game can be without key preparation.

I’m going to be giving my 2 top surprise players of the week, and my 2 biggest disappointments. In my rankings I will take into account price, score, and the amount of people that selected such player.

The #2 man on my disappointments list is Chris Yarran, expected by many to take the next step this year (46,000), and was a real disappointment in the first game of the year, he saw plenty of opportunities in the first half, Carlton had a lot of the ball and he wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Mind you it is was the first round of the year, a 32 won’t cut it, but expect him to get his confidence back up this week with perhaps a few touches and goals against an inexperienced Gold Coast side. 

The #1 player on my disappointments list sits a guy who doesn’t deserve to be there from his own volition but has been put on there due to an injury caused by courageousness that can’t be seen by many others in the league. With almost 30% of coaches picking him, and many having enough faith in him to make him their captain, Selwood’s 24 hurt a lot of coaches in round 1. He will make up for it throughout the year I’m sure.

At the #2 spot of the surprise players of the week I have Cameron Pedersen, most of you are probably saying who is this guy? Pick #17 mature age recruit by the Roos, he’s a very handy versatility player who has shown he can play all across the ground, his 114 would be very handy to the 12,000 people who snaffled him up. Played a big role in North’s game against Westcoast, but uncertain how much game time he will see with Kangas full time ruckmen coming back soon.

At the #1 spot of the list sits a Carlton player by the name of Edward Curnow, scoring a hefty 118 to only be selected by 13,000 people. The silky Box Hill best and fairest midfielder drafted #18 in the rookie draft is set for a big year barring an injury like he endured last year. Look for vast numbers of Supercoaches to jump on him before his price sky rockets.

I do understand that it was just the first week of Supercoach and the AFL season, one game isn’t a huge indicator of how a player will perform over an entire season. I wish you good luck for your team in the future, and hope you enjoyed reading this article.