Early trades - how many/how to use?

Started by Talisman, March 31, 2011, 09:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talisman

Will be watching these 2 closely this weekend - thinking if Curnow burns it up again & Atley tanks it again, will swap them over... But I'm just not sure about this. What I'd like to know from people out there is this:

- How many trades should be used after the first 2 rounds before prices go up/down?
- Of these trades, what should they be used on?
1. Swapping a "dud" rookie to one that's flying? (as the latter should earn you more money than the "dud" - the point of rookies)
2. Swapping one mid-pricer for a better performing one? (who's more likely to become a keeper than the other)?
3. Swapping one premium - who's struggling & having his scoring impeded by something outside his control - to a premium (especially a cheapish/good value premium) who's smashing it, with no sight of slowing down (& possibly advantaged by the new sub rule/champion data scoring system)???

Just interested in people's thoughts... Cheers all!!  :)

elite

Well the thing with any player could be that the tables can turn.
The good players who have had a couple of bad games will pull through into the next game and will begin to go back to their best, so anything can happen the next week.
But if they have had a horror run, and no longer trust their ability then you would feel safer trading them.

Boomz

I get the idea of trading after rd 2 before prices go up but personally I don't trade in the first few rd's unless of an LTI/long suspension. I just back my players to turn it around...

Griffo1982

Atley is not a dud, Relton Roberta was a dud

Boomz

MajorLazer

Quote from: BOOMZ on March 31, 2011, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: Griffo1982 on March 31, 2011, 09:53:14 PM

He's a legend  8) :P
Just look at his memorial league ranking. 8)

Maca24

Quote from: MajorLazer on March 31, 2011, 10:04:21 PM
Quote from: BOOMZ on March 31, 2011, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: Griffo1982 on March 31, 2011, 09:53:14 PM

He's a legend  8) :P
Just look at his memorial league ranking. 8)
exactly rite. dont diss the relton.

sid3bysid3

exactly right - dont trade too early... only trade in a rookie like barlow was!

on the other hand - curnow wont pump out scores like that every week... he emassed most his score in the last quarter and it was against richmond. dont expect him to do that too often. also, atley is capable of tonning up... wouldnt be surprised if him and curnow ave the same over the course of the season

newfreofan

What about someone like cam bruce? He was filth last week and looked completely out of sorts. He'd have to show a lot this week cos that's a lot of $$ to be spuding it up like that.

sid3bysid3

his disposal let him down - would expect him to pick it up aswell

i've targetted him as an upgrade target... think he;ll drop a bit getting used to hawks game

tigertops

dont think there is anything wrong with sideways trade for a rookie burning it up.....eg, curnow, lower
personally dont tink atley will be in the team long.  dont think hes a chance of tonning up anytime soon...

Talisman

I dunno - Atley vs. Curnow over the season - one's a mature rookie (& we know that they can be SC/DT gold) who should be able to play out the year strongly, whereas the other is only 18 & could tire over the course of a long year (however talented he is - & Atley could be anything over the next few years). So yeah...

Also, what's to say the Curnow couldn't be a late-bloomer like Barlow - everyone's gotta start somewhere, & as much as EVERYBODY says "there will never be another Barlow in the history of the world!!!" (ok, I may have taken a little license there!  ;)), odds suggest that eventually another player - likely a mature rookie who's ready for the rigours of the AFL - will replicate or even (shock, horror) better Barlow's 1st year.

Now before everyone panics & has me committed, I'm not saying Curnow WILL be the next Barlow, just that his feat is likely to be replicated at some stage (especially with footy becoming more & more professional), & who's to say for certain that that won't be Curnow. For what it's worth, he did win the Box Hill Hawks' B&F, and come 3rd in the J.J.Liston trophy last year - all after breaking his leg in round 13 (I think) - i.e. missing the whole second half of the year! Not bad if you ask me...

Sorry, went off on a tangent, original point - who will make more $$$, Atley or Curnow? Hmmmm...

McRooster

A little undecided hey Talisman?

I'd only do the rookie one if you are convinced the targeted ceiling price for your selected rookie will never be reached because of TOG potential : ala Atley and a rumoured sub role and a returning Bastinac.

Premiums and mid pricers should only be traded this early because of injury.

Talisman

Haha! Love the little clip there Rooster! Nah, not so much super-undecided - or stressed at all for that matter - just interested in the discussion re. trading - esp. peoples thoughts on early trades...

My thoughts exactly on Atley for what it's worth - also, don't to miss the Curnow train (if it turns out that way - if it barely leaves the station, then I couldn't care less!)

Cheers for the advice/input Rooster!  :)

(P.S. The only player/s I am a bit concerned I pulled the wrong lever with pre-Rd. 1 lockout are Sam Fisher & Josh P. Kennedy... Your thoughts on those fellas?)

Marstar

Dud rookie for gunning rookie for sure. If you miss the boat on a Broughton or Barlow ... and keep some1 on the bubble that gets dropped in W3, hoping he gets a 3rd game so you can get a price rise b4 you trade him ... it's pretty shattering.

When i say dud ... i mean some1 dropped after round 1 or 2 ... with low JS and chance of coming back to play many more games.