Don't understand

Started by cortez, March 30, 2011, 11:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cortez

Why can't you trade b4 round 3? I know it's still to trade after round 1 but why not after round 2? Seriously if you got a player who has completely dogged it and playing like shower and there is someone else around his price killing it and looking like he is a gun would you trade to him b4 your players price falls and and the other players price rises?

b3no

where have you heard this?

cortez

Everything i read i here is saying don't trade early Definately not b4 round 3. I don't agree with it. Shouldn't you get your kinks out b4 they lose you money

redfield

Many people do trade before round 3. Often this is to acquire a rookie who is looking at a rather sharp rise in value after their 3rd game versus a rookie they currently have who is absolute shower (cough*Relton*cough). You don't need to, and shouldn't, trade after rd one because you can still take another look at all players before their price changes. If you're referring to sideways trading then that is a big no no especially before round 3. Two games is such a small sample to judge proven players on. I suppose you could consider it (trading after rd 2) for the mid priced players who you've taken a risk on but unless they are looking at an absolute price plummet and you're sure that the player you'd be bringing in (assuming they are also mid priced) will continue to score very well then you're really just taking another big risk and using a trade to do so.

Fletch74

Quote from: cortez on March 30, 2011, 11:24:12 AM
Why can't you trade b4 round 3? I know it's still to trade after round 1 but why not after round 2? Seriously if you got a player who has completely dogged it and playing like shower and there is someone else around his price killing it and looking like he is a gun would you trade to him b4 your players price falls and and the other players price rises?
You've misundertood them cortez. If someone says "don't trade until Rd 3" it means after Rd 2, and before Rd 3 ;)

Spudlicious

/RANT

Whilst I agree with the general consensus that early trades are risky, I think most people are looking at the idea too simplistically.

Most of us are going for league wins I assume?  If so then we have 20 rounds (for league wins assuming a GF birth) and 24 trades.  If I lost the first round (which I did with a score of 2179!) and face a tough apponent (who scored 2347) then I would have thought a trade from Yarran --> Dawes (who I had in my team for 90% ofthe pre-season FFS!) then it is possible a risk worth taking.  If anyone thinks teams won't forward tag Yarran after last week, then they are mislead.

Ok so this fact withstanding I am still 50/50 but I think it is time people stopped b1tching about panic trades and started discussing the facts and logical (if a little risky) strategies.

/END RANT

PS: I'm part of the Meow Meow fan club!

cortez

It doesn't matter what your strategy is first rule should be don't have duds and make sure you have good cash cows doesn't matter if your going for overall or league. The only real difference between them anyway is in overall upgrade your team as fast as what you can and league you have to make sure not make finals and have your team peaking for finals

diddley

the thing is to be clever with your trades. no strategy trades after rd1, only injury or suspension trades. you cant measure a players worth after 1 game. after rd2 trim the fat, and get rid of players who arent living up to your big expectations. simple as that.

j959

Quote from: cortez on March 30, 2011, 11:24:12 AM
is this what you mean cortez??
Quote from: j959 on March 29, 2011, 03:36:19 PM
Quote from: dcmagadia21 on March 29, 2011, 01:13:24 AM
After which round do the prices change anyway?
think it's a 3 game rolling average so prices will change after a player's 3rd game - eg if you're thinking on jumping on Curnow, you can wait and see what he does this rd against GC and if looking good and then named to play Rd3 you get him before Rd3 lock-out to hopefully benefit from a price increase after his 3rd game????

i think this is right??   ???

cortez

valkorum

*Serious post*

Its not that you "can't" trade in round 1 (cos you can - twice), its that you shouldn't trade in round 1.... UNLESS.... you have a player who is out injured/suspended for a long period.

The reason being is that a player needs to have played 3 games before the price of that player will adjust.  You still get 1 more round for that player to play and repay the faith.... or conifrm the worst.  Even in the case of a premium playing bad for 2 rounds I would still be inclined to hang on to that premium unless a significant role change has hindered his scoring.

In the case of a rookie I do know quite a few people will trade an underperforming rookie out for a performing rookie, but this is only done at the end of round 2.  You might trade out a rookie averaging less than 50 to a rookie averaging 90.  Like Duigan to Lower (not that I would make that trade - its just an example)

Also keep in mind this season that rounds 4, 5 & 6 are non league rounds so if you are only playing for league glory then it may be worth, if you have cover,to hold off trading to see if the player can recover and gain in value.  The player will still rise (and fall) in price during those rounds.

At the end of the day it is your team and you trade/sub your players as you see fit.

*End serious post*

I think you should double trade and sit back feeling good about yourself and your team.  Trade trade trade

j959

Quote from: valkorum on March 30, 2011, 08:20:34 PM
*Serious post*

Its not that you "can't" trade in round 1 (cos you can - twice), its that you shouldn't trade in round 1.... UNLESS.... you have a player who is out injured/suspended for a long period.

The reason being is that a player needs to have played 3 games before the price of that player will adjust.  You still get 1 more round for that player to play and repay the faith.... or conifrm the worst.  Even in the case of a premium playing bad for 2 rounds I would still be inclined to hang on to that premium unless a significant role change has hindered his scoring.

In the case of a rookie I do know quite a few people will trade an underperforming rookie out for a performing rookie, but this is only done at the end of round 2.  You might trade out a rookie averaging less than 50 to a rookie averaging 90.  Like Duigan to Lower (not that I would make that trade - its just an example)

Also keep in mind this season that rounds 4, 5 & 6 are non league rounds so if you are only playing for league glory then it may be worth, if you have cover,to hold off trading to see if the player can recover and gain in value.  The player will still rise (and fall) in price during those rounds.

At the end of the day it is your team and you trade/sub your players as you see fit.

*End serious post*

I think you should double trade and sit back feeling good about yourself and your team.  Trade trade trade
i like how you're now marking your genuine advice posts!!   ;)    ;D

sid3bysid3

haha valk - i admire your persistence to continually re-enforce peoples eagerness to trade.

last post was great - i agree - trade,trade, trade... no point finishing the season with trades in the bank- dont get extra points for it  ;D

Perthwildcat

With the byes and such, trades are soo much more valuable come finals time.  Having 4-6 is almost paramount come finals time and early trades are such a waste.  Gotta find your team balance, wait for players to get a good couple of games under the belt before chopping. 

Golden trade rules

NTD - Never trade drunk.  A few bevvies on a thursday night means a possible regret of trading in, say Nathan Ablett?

ATF - Always trade Friday.  Teams are released and finalised. 

JoeMontana

Trade on a Monday, even a Sunday night, then you get the player you trade for before everyone else, and that player will listen to your advice first before he listens to any other Supercoachers advice.  ;)