Main Menu

Thoughts on Friday night

Started by Cruiseon, March 28, 2011, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiseon

I attended the game on Friday night, yes I was surprised about the small crowd but didn't think the game was as horrible as everyone said. I found myself supporting Geelong and yes there were many skill errors (even for two good sides in rd 1) but the intent was there.

Some observations I thought I'd throw out there. I know its only 1 week of football but .......

Good to see finally some young Geelong blood. Whilst not killing it with stats Gutherie looked good.

I have some big question marks still on Hawkins. The question being discussed at the ground was is he the next Kozi, he looks good, potential is high but he has played 68 games now & he just doesn't look like it. He was hopeless on Friday. On the other end of the scale Cam Mooney also looks in real trouble. Will Pods replace either, 1 or both of these guys. I think there are some tough decisions ahead.

On the flip side Ottens & Joel Corey looked great after quiet pre-seasons. I hope they can keep it going uninterupted.

Finally, covering Selwood for 3 quarters was not mentioned enough, top effort and therefore a good win.

ossie85

It surprised me that Geelong managed to win with Ablett, Chappy, Ling and Selwood missing from the side that lost that qualifying final in 2010. Great spirit shown really.

It's been said time and time again, but St. Kilda's game style does lend itself to disaster if they have a bad 10 minutes or so. Low scoring games quickly have the deficit disappear.

Milton

Quote from: Cruiseon on March 28, 2011, 03:11:24 PM
Good to see finally some young Geelong blood. Whilst not killing it with stats Gutherie looked good.

I spoke to a former leading AFL recruiter who said that Guthrie will be a star .. also remember that he shut out Dyson Heppell in last years TAC Cup grand final

It was a great win and totally underrated by the media .. glad all the focus for 2011 is on Essendon ..while they're all talking them up they won't bother with us

GoCats

bunyip

I have to agree cruis. I'm worried about Hawkins and Moons. It's early days, but we may see some recruits tested in a key forward post if they don't improve.

Milton

Quote from: bunyip on March 31, 2011, 09:45:35 PM
I have to agree cruis. I'm worried about Hawkins and Moons. It's early days, but we may see some recruits tested in a key forward post if they don't improve.

It's an awkward position to be in .. we have a window to challenge for the flag, and while that's open, selectors will be trying to pick the best team .. not long term future in Moons, Hawkins or Pods though .. key position forwards are some concern atm