Main Menu

AFL Dynasty Draft

Started by Maca24, March 27, 2011, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

Hey guys,

Just wanted to run something by you.

With the team I've created using Andrew's picks, the average age for the 22 players is over 27. IMO, that's a little ridiculous if you're going for a dynasty. I was wondering if I'd be allowed to bin a few of his picks and pick some of my own from the remaining pool of players just to make it a better team?

Boomz

I might have picked them if they were available so I'd say no :-X

RiOtChEsS

i agree with no sorry c4...

that was his strategy tho, i just quoted it on the page before

Justin Bieber

His strategy was for like the first season or two. It's hard as if he hadn't chosen them a few of us would have like Boomz said.

UNLESS we do this draft all over again :P.

c4v3m4n

Understood guys. I'll have the team and write-up done after dinner.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Hellopplz on July 04, 2011, 06:57:12 PM
His strategy was for like the first season or two. It's hard as if he hadn't chosen them a few of us would have like Boomz said.

UNLESS we do this draft all over again :P.

c4v3m4n

Hey everyone, c4 here. Thanks for your patience.

Finally finished Andrew's team. It wasn't easy seeing how many ageing players he chose. But with out futher ado, I present to you...

FB:                  Leon DavisDaniel MerrettPaul Duffield
HB:Robert Murphy                 Sam FisherPaul Puopolo
C:Adam GoodesKane CornesDaniel Cross
HF:Ryan O'KeefeJonathan Brown                 Brent Harvey
FF:Alan DidakJames PodsiadlyKepler Bradley
R:Darren JollyGary Ablett Jnr.Adam Cooney

INT:            Cameron Pedersen       Daniel Pearce       Michael Hibberd       Ben Howlett (SUB)

DEPTH:     David Myers                 Kyle Cheney        Leigh Adams             David Ellard
Kieran HarperKyle ReimersRicky PetterdMatthew Lobbe

Backs
Out of the three main areas, back-line, midfield and forward-line, I'd have to say that my back-line is my weakest. Sam Fisher and Daniel Merrett are my only key defenders, but Duffield, Murphy, Davis and Puopolo provide a great amount of support with rebounding defence. I'm hoping Daniel Merrett can step up this year after finishing third in most goals conceded by an AFL player for the 2010 season.  :-\ Luckily, Pedersen and Hibberd are on the bench to provide additional help to the backline.

Midfield
With a power midfield combination of Goodes, K. Cornes, Cross, Cooney and of course Ablett, this midfield is where the magic will happen. Ablett and Cooney are dynamite at the stoppages in terms of clearances; sitting at #1 and #5 respectively for highest clearance average per game. Goodes and Cross provide great running support on the wings and Kane Cornes simply adds another dimension to the midfield. With Harper, Ellard, Adams, Howlett, Pearce, Hibberd around too, there's a wealth of midfield talent in this team.  :D

Forwards
With big man Jonathon Brown and the jPod at the helm of our forward line, you just know you're kicking goals.  ;) With the pace from the midfield coupled with Ryan O'Keefe and Brent Harvey, the amount of inside 50s will be amazing to see. Can your team's keep up?  ;) Didak is the only 'small' forward in the team and will have his work cut out for him around the stoppages inside 50. Bradley will provide valuable rucking assistance whilst being an extra pair of hands up forward. Pedersen and Howlett are on the bench to provide help up forward.

Ruck
Darren Jolly takes the #1 rucking duties for the Tasmania Stallions. With a hitout winning percentage of 39% and a hitout-to-advantage rate of 23% last year, it's easy to see why he's one of best ruckman in the league. On field, Kepler Bradley and Cameron Pedersen provide Jolly with some ruck relief if required. Matthew Lobbe, a developing ruckman, is showing enormous potential (was #1 ruckman for Port whilst Brogan was out) and will become a fantastic replacement when Jolly retires.

Interchange
There is a great amount of flexibility on the bench; something you need in the modern game. Cameron Pedersen can incredibly play at full-back, up forward or pinch hit in the ruck. Daniel Pearce provides support for the midfield along with Michael Hibberd and Ben Howlett. Michael Hibberd can also provide assistance in the backline; like Ben Howlett up forward.

Depth
With a very old list, a great amount of youth was needed for the Stallions. Luckily, all of the players waiting in the wings also have a decent amount of AFL experience under their belt as well. I picked these players with upcoming retirements in mind.

Adam Goodes, Brent Harvey and Ryan O'Keefe will be 'replaced' (ugly word) by Kyle Reimers, Ben Howlett and Leigh Adams.
James Podsiadly and Jonathan Brown -> Cameron Pedersen
Darren Jolly -> Matthew Lobbe (as mentioned before)
Leon Davis -> Michael Hibberd
Robert Murphy -> Kyle Cheney
Alan Didak -> Kieran Harper and Ricky Petterd
Kane Cornes -> David Ellard and Leigh Adams
Sam Fisher -> David Myers

Overall
With an overall average team (of 22) age of over 27, this team is no doubt experienced. With the wealth of talent in this team, there is no doubt a premiership is just around the corner for the Stallions. While there maybe some retirements in the not-so-distant future, the players waiting in the wings will provide an excellent replacement to keep the dynasty going.

The other great positive about this team is the amount of flexibility available. Changes to the placements on field can be made on the fly with little or no downfall. It'll defintely keep the opposition coaches guessing.  ;)

For the record, Ablett is the Stallion's captain with Brown, Goodes, Harvey and Cornes all forming a leadership group.

Phew. I'll be honest, apart the statistics, I kinda winged that.

After everyone had finished taking their picks, it was still interesting to see the players that were unfortunately left behind. If I had of been able to bin some of those picks I would have chosen: Jason Winderlich, Scott McMahon, Bret Thornton, Mark Seaby, Sam Iles to join the team along with some more youth.

Though, if I feel sorry for anyone, it's for Brock McLean. He simply couldn't fit into any team. Again.  ;D

Thanks guys for letting me finish Andrew's team. Oh and by the way, that logo....yep, I designed that. Good huh!   ;)

CrowsFan

Wow such beautiful presentation and a great write up! You have swayed me to vote for you! :P
Actually not sure who I will vote for yet. You have done a great job finishing the team C4 :)

Maca24

Great Job C4!
Just swap Pods with Brown  ;)
Pods would get owned if he played at CHF.

Maca24

Ive made the thread in the front bar.
I just need ML's full team posted in here so I can add it to the poll.

c4v3m4n

PS. What do you think of the Stallions new guernsey?  ;)

Justin Bieber

Haha C4! Nice picks and plan to "replace" your Golden Oldies :P.

c4v3m4n

Thanks HP. Definitely an interesting strategy Andrew had going for older players.

Justin Bieber

He was basically going for the first 1 or 2 years. Saying 1 premiership would be more than most others get :P.

I went for a mix and a very strong team over the 5 seasons with some oldies :P.

Maca24

Quote from: Hellopplz on July 05, 2011, 01:24:57 PM
He was basically going for the first 1 or 2 years. Saying 1 premiership would be more than most others get :P.

I went for a mix and a very strong team over the 5 seasons with some oldies :P.
Andrew was very stubborn  ;D