Main Menu

Go Cats

Started by bunyip, March 12, 2011, 08:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

Well done West Coast. Geelong's first half was forgetable. Some of our players seem to be struggling at the moment, and a few of the young ones are finding it harder against the better teams. Still, they'll get a few more games under their belts before the end of the season, and hopefully they'll cover any injury problems without unduly weakening the team, so I hope they keep getting games.
Geelong have a few "easier" games coming up,so, hopefully we can win a couple and guarantee a place in the top 4 well before the end of the season. That would give the coaches a bit of latitude to experiment or consolidate for the finals.

PowerBug

I was told that in 2007 and 2009, the years that Geelong won the premiership, they lost about 3 games in each season, in which 2 of them were back to back. That's a positive from a loss.

bunyip

That's right, it's our first back to back loss since 2009. So, no need to panic I think. We do need to win at least 3 more games though, and the sooner we do that the better. We can lose every second game from now on and still get into the top 4. I still think we'll finish 2nd. on the ladder.

bunyip

I think our preparation for the finals this season has been faultless, and congratulations to the coaches for that. We can now reap the rewards for an excellent start to the season to look at our deficiencies and try to correct them. Our forward line is the obvious problem. We have done incredibly well when you consider we haven't got a gun KPP.
Pods struggles, but tries hard, and at the moment is our best (and maybe only) option at FF. As for CHF, you could put an empty beer bottle there and it would work just as well.
We have about 6 weeks to fix it, so we'll see what they come up with. Our back line has been leaking some goals lately, but I believe the problems are related. Our next 4 games at least are winnable, so maybe we can afford to experiment a bit. By "winnable", I mean we play teams fairly low down on the ladder. No offence.

PowerBug

Cam Mooney and Hawkins are disasters, so they won't play.
The rotating ruckman would spend 75% as the 2nd tall forward.

cookie311993

6 players in the VFL is pretty good. it was a shock loss to essendon that personally i wasnt expecting it at all

bunyip

Disagree PB. They are part of the plan and give us options. If the big hairy cat is fit, he'll be much better than an empty beer bottle. Tommahawk to. If we can get them fit and playing well, our problems are solved.

cookie311993

agreed bunyip. i dont mind watching mooney playing

bunyip

So thats 2 people who agree with me Cookie, you and my imaginary friend. :)

AFEV

Quote from: bunyip on July 12, 2011, 05:22:55 PM
So thats 2 people who agree with me Cookie, you and my imaginary friend. :)
Make it 4 ;)

Cruiseon

For a side going through such an amazing era there has been a procession of failure for the second tall forward when you step back and look at it. Considering Pods was recruited as a VFL player the heir apparent to the aging Mooney seemed to be Nathan Ablett. Next in line was Hawkins which doesn't look like it is going to work, there was Gamble who looked the business for a few weeks then faded and now Vardy for which it is still early days.

You can't say Geelong haven't been trying to fill this spot over the last 4 years, the amazing thing is the best and current option was a mature recycled player who few at the club thought would be an AFL player. 

bunyip

maybe we should give Fev just 1 more chance :(

PowerBug

Quote from: bunyip on July 11, 2011, 11:55:27 PM
Disagree PB. They are part of the plan and give us options. If the big hairy cat is fit, he'll be much better than an empty beer bottle. Tommahawk to. If we can get them fit and playing well, our problems are solved.
I agree that IF they start performing Geelong has all areas covered. The problem with your comment was you need TWO IF's to go your way from two players that look like a mess. Especially Cam Mooney, Hawkins has still got hope.

bunyip

I think you're being a bit harsh on Cam. The thing is, a few teams are in the same boat as Geelong, with unsettled forward lines. All we need really is a CHF, Pods can do the job at FF, but he doesn't kick enough goals for my liking.

PowerBug

Quote from: bunyip on July 13, 2011, 06:21:37 PM
I think you're being a bit harsh on Cam. The thing is, a few teams are in the same boat as Geelong, with unsettled forward lines. All we need really is a CHF, Pods can do the job at FF, but he doesn't kick enough goals for my liking.
He does look terrible though. I agree with the other stuff.