Main Menu

Go Cats

Started by bunyip, March 12, 2011, 08:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

it's a moot point anyway. This will be an interesting week for both of us. Geelongs first game at the fortress, and the Maggies playing a team who has also won 2 games.
I love these "traditional games" between the Melbourne clubs.
From Geelongs point of view, a win against Port would be a great start to the season. It doesn't get easier so these early wins are important.
port will be hurting, and would fancy themselves against us I think. Geelong are far from good form, but are still winning, so thats a good sign.

ossie85

I think you over-estimate Port bunyip. 50 point victory should be par for the Cats. The Power struggled to travel at the best of times, smashed by the premiers, beaten by the spooners at home...

I agree that Geelong have managed to get two wins, which really sets up a good top-4 platform when they do start playing better footy.

bunyip

I hear you ossie. Geelong have been known to drop the ball sometimes. losing games they "should" have won. Mind you, this team doesn't do it very often.
Are you looking forward to the game against Carlton? May be the first time Collingwood will be under a bit of pressure.

ossie85

I'm always nervous for Carlton games :(

But feel that although the Blues midfield is great, that Collingwood's defensive and offensive structures are far superior.

I'll get to see the Cats first hand when they play Sydney in Round 4.

bunyip

I agree oss. I would be surprised if the Pies lose. Carlton seem to still have issues forward and back.

RiOtChEsS

things r going pretty swell when u name Jim Bartel and Paul Chapman as ur Forward Pockets :o

bunyip

We'll see where they actually line up Marcz. The Cats have no excuses, we are virtually at full strength. Our 3rd row players seem to be doing well, covering our injured players. It's great to see new players doing well. Depth is the key to a successful season.

bunyip

A tough one coming up this week against Sydney at the SCG. I think both sides are about even, so it will be whoever plays better on the day. It'll be interesting to see what Geelongs forward line will look like, as we haven't been kicking a lot of goals. I thought our forward line pressure could improve, but there's still plenty of time to work on tactical issues. The main thing is the players are mentally ready for this season. You cannot fault their endeavor.
One thing about the cats, they are a very mentally tough team I think.

ossie85

Agree bunyip. I get to see them first hand, which will be fun. This and the Bombers/Blues match are probably the matches of the round.

bunyip

For sure. The Carlton v Essendon game has serious ramifications for the Blues if they lose. They (the Carlton hierarchy) won't be impressed if Essendon are seen to overtake them in the premiership race.
I think it's a game that Rats just HAS to win.

Fletch74

Quote from: bunyip on April 12, 2011, 06:53:00 PM
For sure. The Carlton v Essendon game has serious ramifications for the Blues if they lose. They (the Carlton hierarchy) won't be impressed if Essendon are seen to overtake them in the premiership race.
I think it's a game that Rats just HAS to win.
Whilst I agree that Rats has to win this game.

I wouldn't say, even as an Essendon supporter, that if we beat Carlton today, that we overtake them in the premiership race.

We're only 4 rounds into the season, and if I'm not mistaken, still 4.5 months from September.

bunyip

I know. But if Essendon win, Carlton supporters will see it as a sign that Essendon are further advanced than they are, and will be mildly pissed.

bunyip

Nice win cats. Against a quality team to. Menzel and Duncan are a breath of fresh air in the team.

ossie85

Very impressive cats.

I just keep looking for cracks... and they just don't appear.

Think the sides look better without Mooney :(

bunyip

I don't, moons is a very important player. I admit though that we have a problem with our tall forwards. We should save up and when free agency comes in, buy Dawesy :)