Is dreamteam just a midfielders game?

Started by AndyJ, March 04, 2011, 08:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJ

Long version: (short version skip to end)
As everyone knows .. DT is a possession game. Picking the players who rack up the most of those is a recipe for success.  Captain choice generally boils down to one of maybe 5 premium midfielders .. or as its been lately, Spending big initial cash on a perma-captain - see Gary Ablett 2008-2009 Dane Swan 2010-2011.

So many on field roles aren't deemed as worthy selections for dreamteam let alone DT captain.. Stay at home forwards being one of the most particularly despised.  Could a change to the DT scoring method make the game alot more interesting?  .. How about raising the points scored from 6DT for a goal to 8 or 10?. After all, beating your opponent and putting a score on the board is the ultimate success in footy. A change along those lines could elevate the 'stay at home' forward in the fantasy game to rival the premium midfielders and perhaps even provide more differentiation from the cookiecutter initial DT squads we see all over the forums..

For example -
Lance Franklin in his most productive year to date - 2008 - won the coleman medal and kicked a total of 113 goals for the season (finals included). A massive contribution to Hawthorn's success that year. Yet his own DT average didnt break 100.  Ranking him the 16th best DT'er in the land that year. When most people would agree he had a claim to be recognized as the most damaging and influential figure in the game.  Add to that his year in 2010.. where he kicked almost 1/2 as many goals compared to his 2008 season, yet earnt MORE dt points on average. *rolls eyes*

Last years coleman medal winner - Jack Reiwoldt, Kicked 78 goals yet he doesnt even finish in the top20 Forwards for 2010.

Short version: Raise dt points scored for a goal from 6 -> 8 or 10 to bring more variety to initial squads and provide more captaincy choices for the year to come.

I realize there is no chance a change like this would be implemented .. Just thinking outloud.

Flame away! :)

Prospector_1

madskill55

So what you're trying to say is.... you basically want "Dream-Coach" a combination of dreamteam points mixed for majority of the team with the supercoach points for goals, whereby a goal is counted for 8 points?

Like the idea personally but it's an interesting concept but then if you felt strong about this wouldnt u just do supercoach, but its probably not the same with the vast array of other scoring system? The points, effectiveness and accuracy scoring system is different in supercoach, some people prefer it some people cant stand it. Tryin' to accomodate for both fantasy games (even if its minute change in goal points) in one actual game could change the way people look at dreamteam...could happen in the near future. Guess we'll haveta wait and see....

ossie85

Yeah, I second that madskill. Want a better scoring system head over to SC, other than should leave DT alone

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: madskill55 on March 04, 2011, 08:29:48 PM
So what you're trying to say is.... you basically want "Dream-Coach" a combination of dreamteam points mixed for majority of the team with the supercoach points for goals, whereby a goal is counted for 8 points?

Like the idea personally but it's an interesting concept but then if you felt strong about this wouldnt u just do supercoach, but its probably not the same with the vast array of other scoring system? The points, effectiveness and accuracy scoring system is different in supercoach, some people prefer it some people cant stand it. Tryin' to accomodate for both fantasy games (even if its minute change in goal points) in one actual game could change the way people look at dreamteam...could happen in the near future. Guess we'll haveta wait and see....

Like the idea also - I agree with you. But it is a midfielder's game in DT.

Ziplock

woooah, I had the exact same idea this morning, although for slightly different reasons.

I also came to a rough conclusion that a goal should be between 8-10 points, but also that a behind should be changed to 2/3.

Like, I just find it kind of ridiculous that a hand ball is worth double what an actual game point is.

you guys follow what I mean? Like, I hear the people above whinging and saying to go play super coach instead if you want a more accurate scoring system... but, in this case it isn't really accuracy that's the issue, it's just a bit of logic.

That being said, it's not going to change :P

Justin Bieber

I might try something this season to test this theory that DT is a "Midfielders" game....

I am able to fit a 6 Premium Midfield for SC and will try to toy around and see if I can do the same for DT. It's interesting and I too agree points/goals should be worth more as they ARE what decides the game in the end.

*Peace Out Pplz.