Main Menu

Where does Travis Cloke rate?

Started by ossie85, February 17, 2011, 10:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Where does Travis Cloke rate amongst CHFs in the AFL?

He gets a lot of crap, doe Travis, but he is basically a player with only 1 weakness. Albeit a huge weakness, and that's his kicking. #1 Contested Marker in the AFL, and has a huge tank.

Clearly he isn't in the same glass as N Riewoldt, Brown, Pavlich or Buddy. But there's no shame in that.

But at the moment, I'd rate him significantly higher than any other CHF (not talking about Hall or J Riewoldt, who IMO are full forwards, not sure where I'd classify Goodes) doing the rounds at the moment.

So is 5th a fair ranking for C3?

Cruiseon

It is an interesting one Os & I tend to agree with yur thoughts.

To draw a comparison he is a little like Cameron Mooney was at Geelong. I think Cloke is a much better player than Mooney now whose best days are behind him but he provides an option up forward for runners to use or even ignore resulting in a far more open forward line. Let's not forget he won a Copeland Trophy and is still very very young. Like Mooney and Buddy  (and N Riewoldt until 2 years ago) he can't kick but I think the ability to share the presenting role with Dawes is a huge plus as Dawes straightens the side up whereas Cloke does push wide. Its a good combo, could be a great combo.

Cruiseon

ossie85

Indeed. I'm surprised others haven't come on and attacked C3 yet!

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on February 18, 2011, 01:58:05 PM

Indeed. I'm surprised others haven't come on and attacked C3 yet!
No need to waste my time... :P

8-6 Suited

I love Cloke. Massive workload from the bloke just a shame he is useless from set shots.

Hawka

pyronerd

Quote from: hawka26 on March 07, 2011, 08:13:01 PM
no were near buddy,pav or voldt
i agree, cloke doesnt really stand out from what ive seen

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: Cruiseon on February 17, 2011, 01:01:07 PM

It is an interesting one Os & I tend to agree with yur thoughts.

To draw a comparison he is a little like Cameron Mooney was at Geelong. I think Cloke is a much better player than Mooney now whose best days are behind him but he provides an option up forward for runners to use or even ignore resulting in a far more open forward line. Let's not forget he won a Copeland Trophy and is still very very young. Like Mooney and Buddy  (and N Riewoldt until 2 years ago) he can't kick but I think the ability to share the presenting role with Dawes is a huge plus as Dawes straightens the side up whereas Cloke does push wide. Its a good combo, could be a great combo.

Don't forget McAff.

As a side note: where have people's "team info" gone?

ossie85

I know it has been a long time since this thread has seen action, but like to point out that by reckoning, Cloke has moved to a clear #2 spot in the best CHF in the AFL.

He is better than N Riewoldt now. Jonathan Brown keeps breaking his face, and Pavlich doesn't really play forward anymore.

He is only behind Buddy, and only marginally.

Cruiseon

Worth dragging up Os, no doubt where he sits now & I'm sure some of the previous comments would have to change their view. He is about 30% higher than the rest of the comp in contested marks which I think in this era of the press is absolutely crucial. Work rate is unquestionable, he is too big and dangerous for opposition to put smaller players on to try and run off and his kicking is ever so gradually getting better. Only Pendles stands in his way from obtaining a second Copeland.

Buddy is awesome but his reputation still seems to be trading off potential a bit, god help us if he ever reaches it consistently.

AFEV

This season. Far and away the best.
Taking other seasons into account 5th is certainly fair. Could start moving up from there very soon though.

McRooster

Cloke > Matthew Richardson (for season total contested marking) - A WORLD RECORD HOLDER  8)

#2 for me (behind Buddy)

*we could trade him for Tippett if Collingwood want extra potato to top off their Sheperds Pie  :P

pyronerd

I've changed my mind, only Buddy is better atm, pav very close, if cloke was a better kick for goal he would be by far the most important player going around for any side :-X

PowerBug

I say All-Australian this year at RHF. 'Buddy' will take CHF still, and Fred Flintstone (Josh Kennedy) or Jumping Jack will take the FF position.