Have you ever? Have you ever thought about this?

Started by madskill55, February 15, 2011, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madskill55

With the supercoach rules, strategies and tactics changing as fast as the global economy and Australia’s weather conditions… is it time to adopt a different strategy? The general consensus is that you have a certain number of premiums, rookies and mid pricers. But with a vast array of forwards such as Roo, Pav, Okeffe, Higgo, Goodesy etc all having perhaps less impressive than usual years last year due to injury etc, we could be stuck in a pickle where stacking the forward line (and back/premo rucks) and going rookie light may be the way to go to win the money this year.

It's even better that the big forwards having their 'slower' years the year before has coincided with the entry of the GC where there are a number of rookie mids who should get a lot of game time. The abundance of rookie mids, especially for the GC, that should get games is giving support to a "light midfield/heavy elsewhere" strategy as well. It is quite tempting to go a 2-4/3-3 premium/rookie midfield. So is 2-4/3-3 rookie midfields option the way to go, hence you can stack your fwd line, backline and have a set and forget rucks? For the first couple of rounds, depending on your rookie scores you may be behind the eight ball but as soon as your rookies start to increase in price, you can upgrade them to premiums in no time. It might pay off, it might not pay off…only time will tell! With the numerous options of rookies in the midfield this year with the likes of Swallow, Gaff, Polec, Conca, Mzungu, Atley, Heppell, Wallis etc it basically comes down to this…The decision should be based on your belief that your extra mid rookie will make more points than the alternative F/D rookie. And that amount more than compensates for the difference between the premium mid you are passing on and the extra F/D premium you have taken. I think under the circumstances of supercoach/dreamteam 2011, it's easier than ever this year to be convinced of this.

The question is: Have u thought about doing this and will you have the courage and balls to do it?  :P

yorgis

only problem i see is that with so many rookies starting, and not many premiums scoring their ave 100+s, its possible you might lose games and struggle to make finals/double chancecop 1 or 2 lLTI's and you're stuffed

TofReyes

I do this every year. A couple of years I had bad injury trouble and had to use my trades up early, but every other year it has worked for me. I don't finish very high overall (usually around 5,000-10,000th), but I always win my leagues because I come home like a steam train at the end of the year.

You need to make sure that you pick the best rookies though, the guys that you think will score the highest, regardless of whether they play first round or not. You have more room to do that with the extra reserve now so this is definitely the year to do it.

bjrouse

I started last year with 2 prems and 4 rookies in the midfield.
Admittingly two of the rookies were Barlow and Martin but still it was a risk at the start not knowing how well they would go.
My midfield at the end was Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd, Montagna, Dal Santo and Selwood.

hawk_88

Not an uncommon tactic. Was done often last year given the large amount of rookie midfield talent last year. 4/2 starting mids and even 3/3 was successfully done. Stacking you backline last year with this strategy paid off and given the price drop this year stacking both is an option, however there are more rookies all round so you could make the argument for either mid, def or fwd.