How would you guys feel if the roos moved to tasmania.

Started by Holz, February 15, 2011, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holz

I have been thinking that eventually the AFl will want a team donw there as thy appear to be big football lovers. I dont see the AFL making 19 teams and apart from a 3rd WA team i cant see any other possible locations for a 20th team.

Living in WA im a bit biased as i dont get to see games anyway, but i wouldnt be unhappy with a move to tassie. Should financially be a good move and would be a great way to get a strong home ground advantage. It would be a bit sad to lose all the tradition but it could make the roos one of the stronger clubs in the afl.

roo boys!

I wouldn't like it. The Roos have that nature about them, they will fight on, eg Keep North South. So even though like you said it would be of financial benefit, it would upset a lot of members and supporters (however little we have ;)) and lose some long time meblbourne followers.

ossie85

Well said roo boys! Unfortunarely, the Tassie government was basically derailed any chance of a North move :(

I don't think the AFL will have 19 teams, but 20 could be a real possibility!

I think next will be:

19th: Tassie
20th: New Zealand

:)

Dogs move to Darwin, Roos move to the ACT, and done and dusted lol. <-- don't expect that to happen.

nas

Maybe in hindsight they should have bit the bullet & moved to Gold Coast?

ossie85

Agree naste. If they'd done that they would have a gotten a whole lot of cash, either GWS would never have gotten a team, or the GWS and Tassie would have. Either way a better result IMO.

hawk_88

Geelong only has 160,000 people and they are very successful. A Tasmanian team with half a million population will be successful - I have little doubt. The Hawks had ~9000 members alone.

The move will happen, sooner or later. The AFL was willing to pay the Hawks $7,500,000 to simply look elsewhere for sponsorship to open this up for North.

The AFL has flagged interest in a Northern Queensland team and a Tasmanian team as the potential next franchises. I doubt North Queensland will have the market for that and the AFL probably do too which would mean they will try and move North down south.

The loss of tradition might be sad, but the world moves forward and North just seem to struggle financially given their small supporter base.

roo boys!

Yes they do struggle financially, but I think we can all agree they will be a strong force in the AFL within the next 5 years or so, and I know it has been said a lot, but the young guys we have at the moment will really come into their own by then and be a formidable opponent. And as we all know, with on field success comes members, and with members comes money. With the new multi-million dollar reconstruction done on Arden Street, I think it would be a waste to move now. Keep the heritage, and keep winning boys, the rest will sort itself out :)

Holz

the afl needs to get some team donw there, i believe it would be a very succesfull idea. they might not have the population but the number of football fans down there is quite high, certaintly beter than sydney,adelaide and brisbane.  They definately should have got a tassie team instead of GWS

I agree its a bit of a waste to move now with all the work they did to stay in melbourne.

Alex7089

No. I don't want North to go at all. I now that we need to move forward, but some things need to stay the same. I think Tassie should get their on team and maybe NZ or Darwin?

Aralt

It's a matter of time.

Soon clubs will need 50,000 members to survive, and these members MUST attend games!! That Norths biggest problem, not many show up to the games. Why don't people want to watch the Kangas? They are not defensive like the Swannies, they are not the 'love to hate" team either.

What we need is a 'Sheedy' or 'Kennett'. A person who builds the profile of the club and is not scared to make a few enemies along the way. I don't care if people show up to watch us lose, coz the higher profile will still attract more members.

hawk_88

I am pretty sure Bradshaw does a pretty good job in that respect. I don't think that is an issue.

Hawthorn's recent success in terms of supporters and from that members is developing awareness as a lower level. Hawthorn attacked the expanding eastern suburbs and gathers quite a bit of support. Family days, school clinics, community support and sponsorship. They have attacked Tasmania with similar tactics and it has paid of as well.

It takes good leadership at the top to install the right people and have the right tactics, but in terms of the head directly driving the marketing for an existing club I don't think that would have a great effect, Drawing back existing fans to see games and buy memberships requires a team to either play well (be successful) or have big names from the clubs history that have traction with fans.

roo boys!

I think the footy show certainly helps with that ;)

hawk_88

Aralt

Quote from: roo boys! on March 12, 2011, 09:28:14 PM
I think the footy show certainly helps with that ;)

Only if you watch it.
Personally I can't stand it. Macho crap in its finest.

nas

Maybe move North after GWS enter for say 1/2 the season (2013) there & the other 1/2 at Melbourne on a deal to say try it for a year & if it fails head back to Melb. The change of Government scuttled the idea of Ballarat.

The arangement with the Adelaide oval could make sense as well. >> Port to play most of the season there & how many req'd play in Darwin the rest. Most of the Darwin games do involve Port & the Bulldogs only have a contract for so many years left then it's up for offer again. Port did offer & asked if they could have their games there, but they gave em to the Bulldogs >> Cash injection. Port currently do have money issues so works two fold.

If something like this happened then 20 teams would be of the agenda.

The team in Nth Queensland I feel won't work as a Rugby area >> Prime example is soccer where are the Fury next year. The Cowboys have no trouble filling stadiums.

Just my Idea. Sure there will be comments re ^^^^.