The Upgrade Targets (MIDS)

Started by MTTY, February 03, 2011, 02:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTTY

Gary Ablett JNR- Why? Well the reason he is so tempting as an upgrade target comes down to multiple reasons.

1. He is not participating in RND 1 of NAB Cup and maybe more meaning he wont have much preseason under his belt. This injury could also go into the opening rounds of the season.

2. Smaller/younger bodies around him- This could mean that without as much pretection that his disposals and scoring could plummet.

What could go wrong- Well he could recover rather quickly from the injury and due to him being around such young player could rack up 40+ games.

When will be the most tempting time to upgrade to him? Round 10 after his second BYE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Barlow- Why?- Well the reasoning behind him is that after a broken leg he will/should take longer to recover before being able to move as well as he would like and to get back to his best, also he may not be able to play in Round 1.

What could go wrong- He could come out firing and show no affects of that broken leg.

When will it be most tempting to upgrade to him? I would say anything from round 8 onwards depending on when he becomes less restrictive by the injury.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Pendlebury/Dane Swan- Why? Because having both in your team early could stuff up you with the byes.

What could go wrong?- Well probably the obvious they both could come out and be in the top 5 scorers out of all players.

When is it most tempting to upgrade to one of them? Round 14 onwards after their second bye.

tferrier18

Disagree with you on pendles/swan...unless you mean that you need to have one of them from the start and then get the second after r14 (which would be perfect).

Ablett is apparently playing r1 of nab as a sub so he might be ok to get from r1...we'll see though.

It all depends on if you're going for overall win or not.

Juddy, montagna and sam mitchell are also potential upgrade targets due to a bit of uncertainty over how they'll go.

dread_lord09

If Ablett stops "jerking the gherkin" maybe his groin problem will be behind him by round 11 and is at the perfect time to do our 1st upgrade

MTTY

Quote from: tferrier18 on February 03, 2011, 03:06:50 PM
Disagree with you on pendles/swan...unless you mean that you need to have one of them from the start and then get the second after r14 (which would be perfect).

Ablett is apparently playing r1 of nab as a sub so he might be ok to get from r1...we'll see though.

It all depends on if you're going for overall win or not.

Juddy, montagna and sam mitchell are also potential upgrade targets due to a bit of uncertainty over how they'll go.
Yeah i mean start with one of them. And wouldnt see Judd as one seeing as he has a bye late

Luigi197

goood one...

Ablet... defineitely and upgrade target and dont think ill start him
Barlow.. possibly, mayb, surely not... i dont think hes that type of player yes who can just snap up form again after an injury, hes still young u know:P
Swan... many theories... i think it could be an option as an upgrade coz a mate from skool said he starts slow and picks up around round 10.. is he rite, mite have to agree.. if he doesnt average over 100 in the NAB then he's an upgrade target

tferrier18

pff don't buy into this slow starting bs. the year before last swan started off with 3 120+ scores.

Guns don't always try in nab cup either so don't trust their scores. I.e goddard barely averaged 98 in nab last year, goodwin averaged 110 or something.

NAB scores can only really be trusted for rookies.

hawk_88

Quote from: tferrier18 on February 03, 2011, 10:54:02 PM
NAB scores can only really be trusted for rookies.

Can't really be trusted as indications of what they will score. At best you can identify some better performers who are more likely to get games.

As for Ablett - has had a short injury interrupted pre-season at a brand new club for which he will be captain for the first time. Very few view him as an initial selection - time will tell if he is picked up mid year but we all hope he drops in price, well maybe all of us apart from those few that pick him and Suns fans.

tferrier18

I disagree...Admittedly without being able to provide specific examples, but generally rookies nab cup scores are pretty indicative of their scores in the normal season...there may be a difference of 5-10 points but usually nothing more than that