will josh fraser be the #1 ruck for the suns?

Started by Middo, February 01, 2011, 11:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Middo

Will Josh Fraser be the #1 ruck for the suns? or do you think he might float around the fwd line?

very interested in buying him at less than $250k

Jugganauts

I guess it is a matter of if his body can hold up but he will ruck 40-60% of the game with the other ruckmen either being Daniel Gorringe or Zac Smith

hawk_88

I would anticipate that he would ruck maybe 20-30% of the time and spend the rest of the time up forward. It keeps a ruckman off the bench so the 3 spots can be used for running players.

Hawka

They will wana groom there yng rucks he will play but alot of time up fwd

tferrier18

i reckon fraser will get subbed throughout the year.

He's never really been fit enough to run out games completely.

hawk_88

Surely hanging out in the goal square is good enough rest.

Jugganauts

He might even crash down mid way through the year

tferrier18

mmm but he'll be useless in the fwd line. he's not fit enough to be leading all day and he's not strong enough to sit in the goal square.

i reckon he's better off doing most of the ruck work and drifting fwd ala jolly

DamenS

Agree with Hawk_88, will spend most of his time forward (maybe half forward flank as a "floater") - Zach Smith did really well in the VFL last year and poor Josh's bung knees are not up to lengthy periods in the ruck anymore.  This makes him an iffy pick in my opinion because I prefer Petrie as a forward by a LONG way and both have slight doubt on their durability for this season.

redfield

Quote from: tferrier18 on February 02, 2011, 01:31:05 AM
mmm but he'll be useless in the fwd line. he's not fit enough to be leading all day and he's not strong enough to sit in the goal square.

i reckon he's better off doing most of the ruck work and drifting fwd ala jolly

I remember when Peter Bell outmuscled and outmarked him in the goal square when we played Freo in Rd 1 of...2008 maybe ??? epic facepalm moment but I still have a feeling he'll be spending much more time forward than in the ruck as GC look to give Smith and Gorringe plenty of experience.

Alex7089

Probably not.
As has been said above Smith did a great job in the VFL last year and McKenna will want to develop him further.

Good news though, Smith is still a lot cheaper than Fraser ;)

Barlow 21

Fraser $251,000 to Z.Smith $117,000. Nice to have a playing ruck on my bench. :D

Middo

so gorringe not ready round 1? did smith used to play for fremantle?

DamenS

No - there is a Smith who currently plays for Fremantle and Gorringe won't be used at this stage I don't think - they will use Smith and Fraser for the moment.

hawk_88