Strategy to cope with byes

Started by Hawks_1976, January 25, 2011, 07:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

Not sure if a thread has been started on this topic.
Just a few ideas to get the ball rolling, some feedback or ideas of your own would be apprecaited.

* Only 1 player from any given team in each line ( including bench )
* To add to the above point, if going for overall then only one player from { St.k, Bris, WB } per line ( as all have bye in R4 ). Extend this theory through R5 & R6.
* Upgrade or sideways trade Essendon players to Gold Coast players ( only combination where gold coast have had their byes before essendon have had any! ) Eg : Watson or Heppell to Ablett will be a certainty for me.
* Ess, Rich & PA kids good cash cow options ( as no bye till R10, 11 or 12 )
* Load up on Coll & StK players after R14.
* Ensure MPPs do not clash with byes. e.g : Having Pavlich and Chapman as C/F in each line would be completley useless to you in R6.

HoF

Covered all the main points there.

Its hard to figure out which players are best to use in each line if your going for overall. No way of knowing if your better off getting a player who will average less but help you avoid the dreaded triple byes or just use your bench/cop a donut and have a player who will average more.

So far it looks like premium forwards are the hardest to select based on byes eg Chapman, Franklin, Pav, Brown, Riewoldt, Goodes, ROK, Higgins, etc all end up clashing with each other through Rd 4-6.

FLOPITOUT1

ShrewDext

Rd 6 FWD Line

Chapman
Franklin / Rioli
Pavlich
Petrie MPP for Sandilands

I. Smith or Mzungu on bench.

How do you cope with that whilst still having a decent shot at the overall prize?

Fingers crossed Smith and Mzungu dont both debut in Rd 1 IMO.

DT87

Quote from: Hawks_1976 on January 25, 2011, 07:25:25 PM* Upgrade or sideways trade Essendon players to Gold Coast players ( only combination where gold coast have had their byes before essendon have had any! ) Eg : Watson or Heppell to Ablett will be a certainty for me.

You forgot Richmond and Port Adelaide. So you could trade Heppell/Foley to Ablett after Round 9, then Jacobs to Harbrow/Bock after Round 10, and avoid both byes of all of those players.

DT87

Quote from: ShrewDext on January 25, 2011, 09:45:51 PM
Rd 6 FWD Line

Chapman
Franklin / Rioli
Pavlich
Petrie MPP for Sandilands

I. Smith or Mzungu on bench.

How do you cope with that whilst still having a decent shot at the overall prize?

Fingers crossed Smith and Mzungu dont both debut in Rd 1 IMO.

Simple answer - you can't. This year you just have to look past how good your picks seem and realise that avoiding bye clashes is more important. I don't think anyone who has Chapman, Franklin and Pavlich in their starting team will have any chance of winning overall. None of those three players have much (if any) upside, and having consistent players isn't really necessary when going for the overall prize, so I don't see why you would want to pick all three.

Hondo71

Quote from: DT87 on January 26, 2011, 12:11:41 PM

Simple answer - you can't. This year you just have to look past how good your picks seem and realise that avoiding bye clashes is more important.

To some extent I agree but if going for overall you have to consider if the best scoring players will get you > points overall then the bye friendly alternative.  I think the byes should only come into consideration for players other than the first 5 you pick as these are you elite premium scorers you want in your side for as many games as they play.  For them you just live with the byes I reckon.

We also have 4 extra trades so there's nothing stopping the previous poster switching out one of Pav, Chappy or Buddy to an alternative premium forward in round 6 if he wants all 3 in his starting side.

Luigi197

MTTY

antman

That will help nicely thanks golddigger ;D

PiggyPommy

The strategy obviously changes if a team is just interested in winning the league but I think you can win a league by going for overall as well, just depends when you need to use your trades.