Do you spend all of your money for round 1?

Started by hawk_88, January 22, 2011, 10:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hondo71

I have won my league final and ranked pretty strongly the 2 years I have played and the most I have had in the bank is around $20K

Hawk88 I think you are doing it as a safety thing but all the same principles apply if you spend all your cap.  You have a better team to start with and therefore don't need to use the extra cash if that makes sense.  ie, you've got those 2 extra premiums from the get go rather than holding enough spare cash to upgrade with only $100. 

I reckon if you did a second team and trialled spending all your cash you'd do just as well in your leagues as you are now.

With league games starting from round 1 this year you may need to amp up your starting team anyway, as I said before.  Otherwise you could drop some early games and fall behind if you lost to the wrong team at the wrong time.

MTTY

hawk_88

I'm not saying it is the only way for success but it is valid strategy and I know few people, who rank overall much higher than I, who have also used it and used it very well.

It is hardly a safety thing though, rather it has greater risk. I have to rely on my rookie selections not only getting games, but getting enough games to make me money quickly. The net result if rookie selections are good is the same or more premium players using less trades.

I'm not convinced the league matches starting round 1 will impact this strategy in any great way either. At first I did but when I thought about it there are 3 no league rounds from round 4 to 6 and generally teams don't change a great deal from rounds 1 - 6. The only trades that people generally make in those rounds are jumping on the rookie(s) that explode in rounds 1 and 2 and major injuries.

Alex7089

Quote from: Hondo71 on January 26, 2011, 08:48:28 PM
I have won my league final and ranked pretty strongly the 2 years I have played and the most I have had in the bank is around $20K

Hawk88 I think you are doing it as a safety thing but all the same principles apply if you spend all your cap.  You have a better team to start with and therefore don't need to use the extra cash if that makes sense.  ie, you've got those 2 extra premiums from the get go rather than holding enough spare cash to upgrade with only $100. 

I reckon if you did a second team and trialled spending all your cash you'd do just as well in your leagues as you are now.

With league games starting from round 1 this year you may need to amp up your starting team anyway, as I said before.  Otherwise you could drop some early games and fall behind if you lost to the wrong team at the wrong time.
What about price rises/falls? You could potentially be saving 100k or more on the prem you get and 200k or more from the extra youths.

I know the game is not about team value but ultimately if your team is worth 12 mil it is going to have a players in much better form/better players that a team at say 11.5 or less.

Hondo71

Quote from: Alex7089 on January 27, 2011, 10:52:31 AM
What about price rises/falls? You could potentially be saving 100k or more on the prem you get and 200k or more from the extra youths.

I know the game is not about team value but ultimately if your team is worth 12 mil it is going to have a players in much better form/better players that a team at say 11.5 or less.

i'll be starting about 3-6 rookies anyway.  Probaby 5.  And still spending all my cap.

How many rookies do people start if they have this big bank balance?

Hondo71

Just to explain my strategy better (and I'm not saying it's the only valid one) - I try to get as strong a team as early as I can without using up all my trades.  I save the normal amount of trades for finals, if possible.

So therefore I need as many premiums in my starting side as I can afford.  As these guys are keepers their price changes are irrelevant to me.  This year with byes the price changes could be more relevant however.  I can usually fit in about 12-13 keeper premiums.  If 2-4 of my other players turn into keepers I may only have 5-7 players I need to upgrade.  That's how I go about saving trades.

I completely understand the theory of holding cash to save a trade and, having not done it and hearing that it's worked, then fine go with it.

Luigi197

Quote from: Hondo71 on January 27, 2011, 04:17:10 PM
Just to explain my strategy better (and I'm not saying it's the only valid one) - I try to get as strong a team as early as I can without using up all my trades.  I save the normal amount of trades for finals, if possible.

So therefore I need as many premiums in my starting side as I can afford.  As these guys are keepers their price changes are irrelevant to me.  This year with byes the price changes could be more relevant however.  I can usually fit in about 12-13 keeper premiums.  If 2-4 of my other players turn into keepers I may only have 5-7 players I need to upgrade.  That's how I go about saving trades.

I completely understand the theory of holding cash to save a trade and, having not done it and hearing that it's worked, then fine go with it.

thats a very intersting and in-depth theory Hondo..

hawk_88

Quote from: Hondo71 on January 27, 2011, 04:17:10 PM

There are advantages to that strategy, no doubt. Ultimately, whatever strategy you choose, you have to have the players to back it up so the team you initially select has to perform as you want them to match your chosen strategy.

The save money strategy is far more speculative, in that it requires that your rookies make money and is also useful if some premiums drop in price.

The advantage is that those 5-7 trades for the spend all of your money strategy could be done as straight upgrades in the save money strategy, where as with no money in the bank, some have to be downgrades whilst others upgraded. The disadvantage is that your initial scores are probably going to be lower and that you are relying much more heavily on rookies to perform.

I am glad I posted this up because the in depth discussion has raised some points that will help me refine the way I will approach this season.

Hondo71

Yes, these sort of strategy discussions are excellent

MTTY

Quote from: Hondo71 on January 27, 2011, 11:24:54 PM
Yes, these sort of strategy discussions are excellent
yeah they give us everyones opinion

Prospector_1

MTTY

antman

I spend as much money as I need to get the team I want I don't feel the need to spend every $ but I also don't need 100k + left over I let my rookies make me money