Do you spend all of your money for round 1?

Started by hawk_88, January 22, 2011, 10:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

I am a great believer in not spending your entire budget for your initial team. It means you can stock up heavily on rookies and cheapies with high upside and it saves trades by the ability upgrading those rookies/cheapies directly to premiums without making a second trade to downgrade a rookie who has made money to one who is about to start.

The end result, if you trade well and pick good rookies initially, is making more money and have trades left for the finals (something which is necessary for league success).

Does anyoen else do this and to this extent? What are your thoughts on this tactic.

bomberboy0618

I reckon 50k is a good amount, i try to get tgat. But imo the startong team quality is so important so it is a fine balance to get right

nas

i myself like around $50K as then when the cows are in the shed for milking, upgrading at least have some back up to trade straight away. IMO

tferrier18

30k for me.

But if I'm able to get a side together that I really like for r1 and I have $0 then I'll probably stick with it.

There's usually someone in your team who is under performing that you can trade out...

DamenS

I've never had money left over, but your theory is sound ... it's just that I get greedy and want as much as I can get now, now, NOW !!  ;D

hawk_88

Last season I started with 900K in the bank. You would think that limit your score but the first few rounds I scored ~2200. Quite a few early injuries dragged that quick back to ~1800 for a few rounds but my initial team, if remaining fit, could have exploded over the season so I still think I made good choices.

CuStArDaRm

Yep I had 850 in SC and 450 in DT last year.
Finsihed top 1000 in both.
All I can say is it depends on the year and whos playing people need to stop this strategy that strategy BULLshower!!!

Last year we had Barlow, Pods & Rockliff all scoring well in NAB and the season thus 3 rookie keepers and cheap guys staight into the team!!!
This year who knows yet, we have to wait and see how guys go next month although obviously we have some idea of who will perform but smokeys come out in pre season games.

All that being said you need some cash atleast for an early trade if you have made a massive mistake on a player or they go down early that way you wont burn 2 trades early.

The way I see it if I dont have a few 100 left I havnt found the rookies or the bargains I should have.

At the moment I have 12/13 Prems. ultimately Id like 3 rookies and 3 cheapies to become keepers then I can use minimal trades with money left to get prems who are on fire no matter how much they are.
When you have some cash to spare you dont have to choose one guy over another just coz he's cheaper.

You gotta get the No.1 thourough breds to get up there in the rankings and the NO.1 improvers and the No.1 Rookies!!!

tferrier18

nas

IMO to add to Cust Quote remember when Roo went down altho having a high price meant you could replace, but if it was someone lower & to upgrade you Might NOT get the player you want unless you say double trade. me i like having a bit in the kitty. Emergencies that unexpectedly that pop up, break down.

Tippett prime example with the other way last season just spiraled downhill & in the end it cost people trades to replace him.

Trades are golden

Alex7089

I plan to leave a lot more in the bank this year.
With the byes you need money in the bank to try and save the double trade sometimes, trades are worth more than ever this season.

I am aiming to leave at least 500k in the bank. Although in the past I have left under 100k.

MajorLazer

I plan to leave just over 100k left.

500k could be too much to leave Alex, but could work helping you save trades for upgrades so good luck. :)

roo boys!

I have a history of having hardly anything left in the bank, but may save 50k or so this year.

Luigi197

LiveTheDream

When Riewoldt went down this year (think it was a sat night game) I made the decision sunday that I would go against my gut and take the risk on chappy. I worked how much $$ i thought Reiwoldt would lose and figured I would just have enough. When prices got released on monday I was left 3k short and had to settle for brown. Chapman went on to have a career best season and Brown played 2 more good games for the season....

Moral of the story, it's good to have cash for flexibility but it ultimately all comes down to luck.