Main Menu

Geelong's "Young Guns"

Started by bunyip, January 21, 2011, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunyip

Mitch Duncan, Taylor Hunt, Daniel Menzel, Steven Motlop, Dawson Simpson, Tom Gillies.
These young players are all 21 or under and have ALL played senior footy.
There are another 16 players, 13 of whom are 21 or under who have yet to play senior footy (with Geelong). Most of these won't get a game this season.
Thats over 20 players, half our list. These are the players who will carry our hopes for the next 8 to 10 years as the current players slowly retire or are sacked, or get injured.
There are of course a few players between 21 and 25 who are already pushing for a place in the team, Simon Hogan, Trent West for example.
So the future looks good, we hope these young players stick around and build on our recent success. :)

Milton

Quote from: bunyip on January 21, 2011, 07:44:37 PM
There are of course a few players between 21 and 25 who are already pushing for a place in the team, Tom Hogan, Trent West for example.
Hey bunyip, I hope Tom Hogan is 1/2 as good as Simon .. :) .. and don't be surprised if Billie Smedts and Cameron Guthrie don't leap frog a few of the youngsters you mentioned and play a few senior games this year

RiOtChEsS

i was really impressed with Duncan and Menzel last year i think they can find a regular gig in the best 22 mate...

bunyip

Quote from: Milton on January 22, 2011, 01:14:25 AM
Quote from: bunyip on January 21, 2011, 07:44:37 PM
There are of course a few players between 21 and 25 who are already pushing for a place in the team, Tom Hogan, Trent West for example.
Hey bunyip, I hope Tom Hogan is 1/2 as good as Simon .. :) .. and don't be surprised if Billie Smedts and Cameron Guthrie don't leap frog a few of the youngsters you mentioned and play a few senior games this year
Sorry about that :)

bunyip

My 2 tips for senior debut this year are Jordon Schroder and Nathan Vardy.

MTTY

I have that feeling Billie Smedts will play from round 1

Milton

Quote from: bunyip on January 22, 2011, 10:14:37 AM
Sorry about that :)

That's cool .. you do a great job and like me .. you Luv your Cats

bunyip

I do, but I must admit I'm worried about this season after what was said on the other post about having so many older players. It does not auger well. :(

bunyip

Quote from: MTTY on January 22, 2011, 11:00:01 AM
I have that feeling Billie Smedts will play from round 1
Billy Smedts ?  What made you pick HIM out ? Billy hasn't played a VFL game yet I don't think. He played in the Falcons for about half of last season.
Are you related to him MTTY?  ;D

Milton

I know a top player manager/AFL recruiter and he told me Geelong did enormous out of the draft especially with Smedts and Guthrie .. reckons they are guns. I'm not sure that means they'll play this year but it's encouraging news especially as he was just making an observation and has nothing to do with Geelong

bunyip

It's unlikely they'll play senior footy this season, but you never know. There would be a few guys ahead of them though in the pecking order.

bunyip

Nigel Lappin, one of our assistant coaches, has said the Cats intend to use the new format of the first round of the NAB cup to play as many players as possible for various reasons.
Could one of those reasons be to find an excuse to drop some of the older players who don't perform well?
Or just to see if some of these younger players are up to it.

bunyip

Most of the players mentioned in this thread have done the job and given Geelong a new lease of life. There's more to come to, Mitch Brown will get a gig soon.These young guns will be our next generation.
Isn't it great to see new guys given a chance and grabbing it.

Cruiseon

It's kind of great Bunyip.

I'd actually prefer if they showed promise without becoming complete Champions for the GFC. We've had enough of those in the last 3 or 4 years to last me for a quite awhile.  ;)

bunyip

Time will tell if they become champions cruis, but the early indications are good. I was talking to my brother last night who follows our reserves very closely, and he said we have a player called Jonathan Simpkin who is on our rookie list is the best of all of them. Now Bert is not given to overstatement, so if he says Simpkin can play, then he can. If Moons goes off on a long term injury, then he will be allowed to play. Keep an eye open for him. If he gets to play soon, he might be a useful pick up for Dt or SC.