The big pink elephant in the room – Premiums with byes in the finals.

Started by sluga, January 19, 2011, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sluga

When going through and selecting my team I have problems when picking players that have a bye in the weeks of the finals.

A number of sides that I’ve seen so far have the following people in their teams;

Round 21   Nth â€" Swallow.
Round 22   Gee â€" Any number of 6 players or so.
Round 23   Car â€" Judd, Gibbs, Murphy.
Round 24   Ess â€" Watson, Stanton, Ryder.

North Melbourne you can possibly get away with one or two players out if you have good coverage, however if it’s a knock out final in this first week you want you best team in so you can continue and have a chance at the Grand Final.

Geelong have many great players so you would have to have at least one in your side, however in Geelong’s case if you finish in the top four in your league and win the first final you will have the week off. So therefore their bye doesn’t mean as much if you can manage this.

In regards to Carlton you must win this game to progress to the Grand Final.

Essendon having the last round off and I can’t see any other options apart from trading these premium players out because you need your best team on the park.

I can only see two options here. You could either do a side ways trade to another premium or save the trade and rely on someone who you wouldn’t count in your best 22.

I would like to know your thoughts on how they intend to deal with the late byes.

MiGZ

Premiums during finals are definately part of my selection criteria. But as my team stands atm, im pretty happy with the situation. From those teams ive got Petrie, Bartel, Gibbs with none from essendon. Petrie will likely get upgraded before round 21, i think you have to have Gibbs no matter what and Bartel just because i like to have a fairly even spread from all teams, but i can always hope to trade him...if i have any left! But planning on getting the bye week for finals hopefully. The only other player from those teams i can see coming into my team is Chapman...

Flemo

I probably won't have any Kangaroos players in my squad or at least none that I will worry that I have to cover.

At the moment I may bank on winning first week of the final as too many Geelong players that I want. I will have a fall back option depending on how my season goes.

I may need to save a trade to lose Judd and/or Gibbs.

I can't see myself having any Essendon players but again if I do none that willy worry me about covering too much.

Chopps

i currently have

gibbs, heppel,anthony, Chappy, petrie

gibbs & chappy you have to have i think , heppel and petrie will be upgraded by then and anthony i am not even sure yet

McRooster

Structure your trades well and you will have plenty spare come finals, having reaped the reward of having those players for the dominant part fo the season.
Rooikes that you have to begin with will have been upgraded by then  ;)

ossie85

I think they're toxic, and will be choosing from other teams. Only rookies from those clubs

nas

I have currently (still in the planning stages) 6 out of them sides with 3 being rookies = upgrades

Titan Tim

Does anyone know what rounds are league byes? (what teams byes don't affect supercoach leagues?) I'm trying to work out why there's color's on some players byes and not others? Why are there different colors? I'm guessing it's in regards to the league byes, but is there somewhere that explains it?

Chopps

McRooster

Bazinga

Quote from: Titan Tim on January 23, 2011, 03:44:13 PM
Does anyone know what rounds are league byes? (what teams byes don't affect supercoach leagues?) I'm trying to work out why there's color's on some players byes and not others? Why are there different colors? I'm guessing it's in regards to the league byes, but is there somewhere that explains it?

This link should help you out Tim ..

2011 AFL Fixture spreadsheet!

Titan Tim

Cheers boys. Is anyone going for top 1000 & come up with a plan for the byes?

bunyip

The only time byes are a problem is when there are multiple byes, right? If you have a reasonable spread of players, that will help.
Maybe this is where Gold Coast could come in handy. I intend to have 5 or 6 GC players, most will be cash cows, but if a couple of them fire thats a bonus and you might be able to utilize them in the multi bye weeks.
I don't want to use trades if I don't have to.

ian

Basically,

For Brisbane, Fremantle, Melbourne & Sydney teams, their byes fall on rounds where DT league games are suspended.
For Adelaide players, they effectively have 1 bye that impacts on the DT league rounds and this falls at round 2  ie 1B at R2  (1B/R2)
Hawthorne is 1B/R17
Richmond is 1B/R11
Saints 1B/R14
Eagles 1B/R15
Doggies 1B/R20
Collingwood 2B/R13
Gold Coast 2B/R9 (ie pick up Ablett after R9)
Port Adelaide 2B/R18
And if you want to win your league, don’t pick from Geelong, Carlton, Essendon or North Melbourne as they have byes during the finals rounds and you will be disadvantaged.

sluga

A possibility is that you could get a number of rookies and or mid price players from North Melbourne, Geelong, Carlton or Essendon, that way their price will rise and they will be traded out and turned into premiums from other clubs before the finals hit.

Also you could get multiple premium players from Gold Coast after round 9, Collingwood after round 13 or St Kilda after round 15. This way you don’t need worry about teams having any more byes for the rest of the season.