Going for overall ranking vs league win

Started by Hawks_1976, January 19, 2011, 11:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks_1976

Excuse me for being ignorant but what is the difference between going for overall ranking vs league win??

I am going for overall ranking and when I finish in the top 1000 I'll smash everyone in my leagues anyway?????

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, the posts I see relating to this topic are a croc of shower.

ossie85

Well, it matters every year, but this year especially with BYES

League teams can avoid certain teams and players because of byes, while overall teams can't do that otherwise they'll get low scores in the 3-bye rounds.

The highest ranking team does not win leagues automatically in any year. In fact, it happens often.

Came 7th on points last year in 1 league, won the flag.

freezer

Will be a huge difference this year...

If you are going for an overall win, you need to have a very good strategy in place from the get go to cater for rounds with multiple byes.

For example, in round 4 - Brisbane, St. Kilda and the Bulldogs all have byes. There are no league matches this round but if you want to be competitive overall you wouldn't want 5-6 non scoring players.

Round 6 is probably worse with Geelong, Fremantle and Hawthorn all having the bye. There are a lot of popular premiums from these teams and you can't afford to have too many in your squad if you're going for the overall win.

CuStArDaRm

Quote from: freezer on January 19, 2011, 12:52:52 PM
Will be a huge difference this year...

If you are going for an overall win, you need to have a very good strategy in place from the get go to cater for rounds with multiple byes.

For example, in round 4 - Brisbane, St. Kilda and the Bulldogs all have byes. There are no league matches this round but if you want to be competitive overall you wouldn't want 5-6 non scoring players.
+1

Round 6 is probably worse with Geelong, Fremantle and Hawthorn all having the bye. There are a lot of popular premiums from these teams and you can't afford to have too many in your squad if you're going for the overall win.

tferrier18

There are no league matches in the 3-bye rounds, so while you might be making your way to the top 1000 during these rounds by getting big scores, it will have no effect on your league ranking.

Even if you have the best avg score in your league you might get a couple of injuries (or players out with the bye), in a final...you'll lose and be knocked out.

tferrier18

The difference in going for overall and league win is:

If going for league win:
Stock up on premiums that are playing in the 3-bye rounds. This means that since there are no league matches in these rounds, you are dramatically reducing the number of players in your team that face byes for league matches.

If going for overall win:
Have as little premiums as possible who are playing in 3-bye rounds. This is based on the assumption (and DT 2011) that even though there are no league matches, these rounds still count towards your overall score. You'll also want to trade throughout the year so that you trade in players who have had both byes etc.

fc hammer

The main difference in other seasons has been that when you try to overtake the overall leaders, you burn trades mid-season when you've already sewn up a league finals birth, and lose the ability to cover for injuries in the finals.
The byes make it a bit more this year, though.

fc hammer

HTM

I guy in my league finished 1st on overall points and finished 9th on the ladder.

Luigi197

Quote from: HTM on January 19, 2011, 07:17:03 PM
I guy in my league finished 1st on overall points and finished 9th on the ladder.

:o  :o  :o  :o

thats awesome! thats hard to imagine.. i guess he would be wrapped

Alex7089

The difference is quite obvious if you think about it.
With overall you just have to try and put the best team you can on the park each week, as ultimately every player will have the same amount of byes so they will make up for the points lost later anyway.

With the league there will be certain teams you want to avoid, because they have a bye during SC finals.