Main Menu

Nominations for the best Lion of all time

Started by Junktimer, January 09, 2011, 12:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Hello all, I am taking nominations for the best Lion of all time.

Please note this includes Fitzroy.

Post who you think should be nominated, max of two per person.

The first 8 to be nominated make it through to the voting of the best player of all time, another thread will be made.

Please do not nominate somebody who has already been nominated, I will update the original post.

A reason why you nominate the person would be great, stops any Nuff-Nuff picks.   ;)

Cheers, JT.

EDIT: Nominees so far: Haydn Bunton, Alastair Lynch, Kevin Murray, Michael Voss, Jonathon Brown, Jason Akermanis, Bernie Quinlan, Paul Roos, Simon Black

Junktimer

I nominate Haydn Bunton.  Won three brownlows in the early 1900s.  Deserves to be honoured

MajorLazer

I know I don't go for Brisbane, but I think Alistair Lynch has to be up there. He was a great forward and player for them and is that a good enough reason?

pyronerd

Kevin Murray

333 VFL games
44 WAFL games
Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee
Brownlow Medal 1969
Represented Victoria 24 times
Represented Western Australia 6 times
All-Australian side 1958, 1966
Fitzroy best-and-fairest 1956, 1958, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1968, 1969
East Perth best-and-fairest 1965
AFL Team of the Century

nas

Michael Voss >> Speaks for himself.

Michael Voss (born 7 July 1975) is the senior coach of the Brisbane Lions Australian Football League team and a former professional Australian rules footballer.

During his AFL playing career which was played entirely at Brisbane for the Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions, he was recognised as one of the greats of league and club and is listed by journalist Mike Sheahan's as one of the top 50 players of all time[1].. He won the league's most prestigious award, the Brownlow Medal and was recognised as one of the best players and captains in the league between 2002 and 2003 through six time All-Australian selection including captaincy and winner of the Leigh Matthews Trophy for the league's most valued player. He captained the Brisbane Lions in four consecutive AFL Grand Finals, yielding three premierships (2001â€"2003). Additionally, he represented Australia in the 2006 International Rules Series and the state of Queensland in State of Origin. As a player he was noted for his fearless play, inspirational leadership and the ability to turn a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Voss

Junktimer

Updated. Nice nominations guys.  Four left

Alex7089

Jonathan Brown. A star of the Lions, and in their short history, IMHO one of their top 5 players. If not top 3.

CrowsFan

Jason Akermanis. He may be outgoing, arrogant and big headed, but there is no denying his talent. Brownlow medalist and was inspirational in helping Brisbane to win their 3 flags

Junktimer

Good form guys.  At six now, all quality nominations

RiOtChEsS

ossie85

How About Bernie Quinlan (Brownlow 81, Coleman 83, 84) and Paul Roos (AFLMVP 1986) as the last 2?

BoredSaint

ossie85

Maca24

agreed BS. black was a jet and better than aker.

Junktimer

I dunno about Black being better, but it doesn't matter, just this time, well have nine nominees.  Thanks for the nominations, voting up soon