Main Menu

Cricket Draft - All Time!

Started by Alex7089, January 05, 2011, 03:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex7089

Haha woops way too many H's :p
I am not regretting, thinking it through and have it all planned out. :) Hard to regret the legendary W.G. Grace.

CrowsFan

Yeah the number of amazing players from yesteryear is crazy.
Hard to go wrong with most of them!

Justin Bieber

I agree with CF. It's choosing the players later on that will set us apart.

Did a little more research into First Class cricket and list has grown :o.

Alex7089

Ah but we need to sort the great players from the legends.
This is the best 120 players we can think of.
Need to keep a level head and not just pick the best available, but think about having an even team.

I have changed the opener I want but the bowler is the same :)

CrowsFan

First class is very important to look at since back in the early 20th century it was only England, Aus and South Africa who played against each other so there was a lot more first class cricket going on

Alex7089

Yeah there are quite a few players who have over 40 thousand runs. That is sort of the bench mark for complete domination but averages & where they played is also important, for instance, Grace has less runs than Hobbs etc. but he was playing a fair bit earlier when the pitches were complete and utter s***.

8-6 Suited

In a career lasting 24 years, he scored more first-class runs than anyone but Sir Jack Hobbs and took over 2,000 wickets at an average of under 20. He is also the only non-wicket-keeper to have held more than 1,000 catches. His batting was remarkable both for his well documented elegance and his rapidity of scoring.

His philosophy was to dominate the bowler. "When I am batting," he said, "I am the attack.". To this day his 205 minute triple century for the MCC vs Tasmania remains the second fastest ever scored.

After making his debut for Kent in 1906, he fast established himself as a great all-rounder, especially in County Cricket. No one else scored 2000 runs and took 100 wickets in a season more often, a feat he performed in 1914 and 1921-23. Only W.G. Grace scored a century and took ten wickets in a match more often. Just as impressive was his consistency, he averaged 40.75 in first-class cricket and scored one thousand runs in a season 28 times, a record equaled only by W.G. Grace.

I am Frank Woolley. And I am a member of Shaggy's draft team.

Justin Bieber

I like looking at both really. Want a high run scorer but the average must be 50+ for a Monster.

Lets hope that 10 minute research pays off.

CrowsFan

I hate you shaggy!!
He was my all rounder and my next pick!!

8-6 Suited

Well if I can't get Bradman, or WG Grace, I'm going to go for the next best all-rounder to Grace in the form of Woolley obviously. :P

See a pattern with my team yet?

Viv Richards
Frank Woolley

CrowsFan

You are going for a very attacking team so far.
Quite different from your last cricket draft

Alex7089

Wow. Did not see that coming.
Great pick Shaggy.
Grace is still a better AR though, over 2,800 first class wickets, over 54,000 FC runs, and 892 catches (5 as keeper, this guy did everything :p)

8-6 Suited

Quote from: CrowsFan on January 05, 2011, 10:01:04 PM
You are going for a very attacking team so far.
Quite different from your last cricket draft

Indeed I am. Unlike the current time players, the best players in the history of cricket played in a very aggressive batting time due to the pitch conditions of their day. Defensive play wasn't really until the late 70's onward when pitches became further developed to bowlers giving them the upper hand.

Thus, from this, you can gather I am going to go mostly for an older line up as well. :D

You are right Alex, Grace is still better but Woolley is the next best option with 62000 runs total between Tests/FC and 2300 wickets.

CrowsFan

Still got 2 other great all rounders in mind, so should hopefully get one of them since it is just 3 people before me

Alex7089

Yeah probably.

Sobers would have to be next (After Frank) but Woolley an absolute steal at 16.

Grr I need BBoy to come on :p I know he said he was off but it has been a while, not sure ho he's managed to stay away for so long 0_o

As long as BBoy doesn't take my bowler I will get him, and I'm also pretty confident I can get the opener I want, if not, I have another :)