Ruby Racers First Draft 2011

Started by RobbieK, January 05, 2011, 11:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieK

Ok, here is my first draft for 2011:

Backs:

B Goddard [B/C], B Gibbs[B/C], B Delidio[B/C], J Adcock, A Otten, M Coad, C Richardson
(B Smedts, P Faulks, J Toy)

Centres:

D Swan, L Montagna, A Swallow, J P Kennedy, D Swallow, A Gaff
(D Heppell [B/C], M Wallis, T Mzungu [F/C]

Rucks:

P Ryder, D Jolly
(D Petrie [R/F], Z Smith)

Forwards:

B Franklin, A Didak [F/C], N Reiwoldt, R O'Keefe [F/C], K Tippett [R/F], C Knights, M Williams
(I Smith, J Darling, B Matera)

Thoughts?

j959

7.5-8/10 - solid Robbie.

only concerns would be 2 GC in your def - know one is on your bench but GC have their byes Rd1 and Rd 9.

Mids fine but I would suggest you upgrade J Kennedy to Hannebery (him and Jack will be the new mid-field leaders for the Swans).

Fwds - you've got the 2 crows in there, will you be able to cover them with your bench? M Williams is risky but as you've got Petrie on your ruck bench  you could swap him into your forward line, put him on the field and have an MPP R/F rookie on your ruck bench to swap Petrie when Ryder/Jolly are out? Just a suggestion

RobbieK

Quote from: j959 on January 05, 2011, 12:51:44 PM
7.5-8/10 - solid Robbie.

Cheers :)

only concerns would be 2 GC in your def - know one is on your bench but GC have their byes Rd1 and Rd 9.

That was a concern for me too. I was trying to avoid having two of any club in the same position, but do have two Adelaide forwards and two GC defenders. Definitely something I will work on. With GC it is obviously a bit unclear about who is goin to get game time, but I'm confident either one of Toy and Coad will be playing enough to justify selection.

Mids fine but I would suggest you upgrade J Kennedy to Hannebery (him and Jack will be the new mid-field leaders for the Swans).

I do think Jack and Hannerbry will have improvement, but I think Kennedy is incredibly underpriced. His hypothetical DT scores from the final series show where he will be at this coming season, and I like him because he is probably going to be a pretty unique pick because, as you point out, Jack and Hannerbry are the more "obvious" selections from the young Swans midfielders.

that being said, I have contemplated downgrading the Kennedy position to a rookie, and having the extra money to put into defence - I could upgrade one of the GC rookies into a potential keeper.

Fwds - you've got the 2 crows in there, will you be able to cover them with your bench? M Williams is risky but as you've got Petrie on your ruck bench  you could swap him into your forward line, put him on the field and have an MPP R/F rookie on your ruck bench to swap Petrie when Ryder/Jolly are out? Just a suggestion

Williams is a bit of a speculator, but it is pretty clear that if he gets on the field he should be making me some money. I wasn't so impressed by the rookie options in the forwards either, which pushed me towards him, but I guess that will become clearer as the NAB cup progresses. The one guy that I was particularly interested is a Crow (Callinan), but that would just further exacerbate the next problem!

Tippet is obviously in for his ability to alternate with Petrie, and I do think both are priced below output for this coming year. But then there is Knights, who probably has even more improvement in him than Tippett... there should really only be one of them, I agree, but it is hard to work out which. I wasn't impressed by the other R/F options (just Lobbe, McDonald and Daw),so maybe it is best just to abandon the R/F switch and pick purely on scoring ability rather than tactical flexibility?

RobbieK

Ok, I have made some modifications:

Backs:

B Goddard [B/C], B Gibbs[B/C], C Enright, B Delidio[B/C], J Adcock, A Otten, C Richardson
(M Hibberd, P Faulks, J Toy)

(In: Enright & Hibberd, Out: B Smedts & M Coad)

Centres:

D Swan, L Montagna, L Anthony, J P Kennedy, D Swallow, A Gaff
(D Heppell [B/C], M Wallis, I Callinan [F/C]

(In: L Anthony & I Callinan, Out: A Swallow & T Mzungu)

Rucks:

P Ryder, D Jolly
(J Redden, Z Smith)

(In: J Redden, Out: D Petrie)

Forwards:

B Franklin, A Didak [F/C], N Reiwoldt, R O'Keefe [F/C], M Morton [C/F], C Knights, T Mzungu [F/C]
(I Smith, L Tapscott, B Matera)

(In: M Morton, T Mzungu & L Tapscott, Out: K Tippett, M Williams, J Darling)

Basically, scrapped the R/F backup, went with Redden as a cut price ruckman who is looking to get good game time, and Morton comes in as another F/C option, downgraded A Swallow to L Anthony, with the savings going towards an upgrade of a rookie defender to Enright.

I've reshuffled the rookies so Mzungu goes into the forward line, replaced in midfield by Callinan who I wanted but didn't want as a forward as I already had Knights from Adelaide. Also went for just one GC rookie in defence, with Hibberd coming in to replace Coad. Not really sure about the last rookie spot on the bench in the forward line - currently Tapscott but obviously it all depends on the NAB cup and the lineups for round 1.

Structurally, I'm pretty happy with this - I think there is a good mix of obvious premiums, players with improvement to be made, quality rookies/cheap players and DP flexibility through defence, midfield and attack. An improvement on the original draft?

Chopps

i reckon an improvement, didnt need to scrap petrie just put some mpp player as 4th ruck not going to use the 4th ruck anyways,

gettin rid of tippet & williams was a good move imo

and callinan you would think will play , crows wouldn't draft a 28 yr old player for no reason

only issue i have is ROK - had him last year and i was frustrated by his scores

RobbieK

Quote from: Chopps on January 06, 2011, 10:28:00 AM
i reckon an improvement, didnt need to scrap petrie just put some mpp player as 4th ruck not going to use the 4th ruck anyways,

Thanks Chopps :)

4th ruck is probably not going to get used, but Redden seems to be training really well so if I can make some money out of the position it might be worth it. Otherwise, yeah, I could go with one of the ultra-cheap R/F options and have Petrie in the team, probably replace Morton and use the extra cash to boost up a rookie somewhere or to bring back Andrew Swallow for Liam Anthony.

gettin rid of tippet & williams was a good move imo

and callinan you would think will play , crows wouldn't draft a 28 yr old player for no reason

Yup. that is my thinking - you don't go for experienced guy like that unless you intend for him to get on the park.

only issue i have is ROK - had him last year and i was frustrated by his scores

Ryan played most of last season with a groin injury. I'll be watching him carefully through the NAB cup to see how he has progressed from it, but it he is looking fit I can't see why he wouldn't be back to his 2009 standard, which makes him a very well-priced keeper.

hally25547

your second team is a much better effort. i am not a fan of kennedy but he has potential to score well. 8/10

can you give mine a rate http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,23597.0.html

cheers, Hally :)

maanco

looks like a pretty good team.
but you surprised me with J P. Kennedy, but he could be a great unique.  whats your source on Jarred Redden?

those changes have made your team alot better 8/10

could you give mine a comment and a rate
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,23647.0.html
thanks

RobbieK

Quote from: maanco on January 06, 2011, 05:05:53 PM
looks like a pretty good team.
but you surprised me with J P. Kennedy, but he could be a great unique.  whats your source on Jarred Redden?

those changes have made your team alot better 8/10

could you give mine a comment and a rate
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,23647.0.html
thanks

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=106481

elephants

some ineterestiong picks i noted.

mark williams... very cheap BUT for the same price you could get dion prestia from GC who willbe a jet

ROK.... doesnt usually start the seasonw well more of an upgrade target

kennedy.... interesting did show glimpses last year.. nice unique :)

Coad......i dont know a whole lot about him? is he anything special?

8/10