Midfield Rookie Strategy

Started by valkorum, January 04, 2011, 03:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

I was a little bored so I created a team using the 1 gun and all rookie midfield strategy.  Thoughts please :)

Back: Goddard, Gibbs, J Kelly, Rawlings, Deledio, Broughton, Otten (D Grimes, Richardson, Toy)
Mid: Swan (C), Swallow, Gaff, Polec, heppell, Atley (Liberatore, Blease, Mzungu)
Ruck: Sandilands, Petrie (Bailey, Smith)
Forward: Chappy, Didak, D Thomas, Roo, Goodes, Budwood, Prestia (Darling, Matera, Talia)

ossie85

Not a fan to be honest, still has weaknesses in other areas, and is a bit vulnerable to byes

RiOtChEsS

not for me but an interesting team ;)

valkorum

Quote from: ossie85 on January 04, 2011, 03:58:46 PM

Not a fan to be honest, still has weaknesses in other areas, and is a bit vulnerable to byes

What area's have weaknesses?

valkorum

Quote from: Marcz on January 04, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
not for me but an interesting team ;)

Definitely not a team for the weak hearted ;)

ossie85

No doubts a ballsy team!

Quote from: valkorum on January 04, 2011, 04:01:48 PM

To have 5 rookies starting in the midfield, yet still have 3 risky players starting. I mean Otten and Petrie coming back from serious injury, and Prestia a rookie...

Kelly, Gibbs, Rawlings, Petrie, Chappy all have byes in the finals, while Swan, Daisy and Didak have two byes during the season and you won't be able to cover them all in the 2 weeks they miss.

Hawka

i like it but maybe upgrade 1 rookie to anonther gun

valkorum

Quote from: ossie85 on January 04, 2011, 04:20:16 PM
No doubts a ballsy team!

To have 5 rookies starting in the midfield, yet still have 3 risky players starting. I mean Otten and Petrie coming back from serious injury, and Prestia a rookie...

Kelly, Gibbs, Rawlings, Petrie, Chappy all have byes in the finals, while Swan, Daisy and Didak have two byes during the season and you won't be able to cover them all in the 2 weeks they miss.

I see your point with Otten, Prestia and Petrie - thats just a risk which could pay off or not.  (a lot of people will be taking the risk with Otten and Petrie).

With regards to Swan, Daisy and Didak they are actually easy covers because their bye rounds are 7 & 13.  No other teams have byes during those rounds so bench players come on as cover there.  There is no more than 2 players from each line that have byes during the same week.

ossie85

You're right that you should be able to cover them, I'm just a pessimist and assume I'll have other injury/suspension worries ;)

boschie12

very game to take that risk! i took a risk last year by having scully,trengrove,martin last year!!they started slowly. the only problem is they might star of slowly, then ur behined the 8 ball!!

marto9532

2 many collingwood players you won't be able 2 cover them. i'd swap one of didak or thomas

j959

valk, the risk is probably with your last 3 rooks on the field for your mids - think D Swallow and Gaff should be low risk like Scully/Trengove this year, but you'll have to be pretty sure that your Polec, Heppell and Atley (or whichever rooks end up there for you) are definitely gonna play and get you decent scores.

maybe of those 3 spots you could fit in one or two of a Foley, Harris or McLean depending on how they're priced compared to the rooks??

valkorum

Quote from: j959 on January 05, 2011, 10:37:34 PM
valk, the risk is probably with your last 3 rooks on the field for your mids - think D Swallow and Gaff should be low risk like Scully/Trengove this year, but you'll have to be pretty sure that your Polec, Heppell and Atley (or whichever rooks end up there for you are definitely gonna play and get you decent scores.

maybe of those 3 spots you could fit in one or two of a Foley, Harris or McLean depending on how they're priced compared to the rooks??

Its definitely a strategy that can only be used if there are 5 midfield (prefer 7) rookies that will play from round 1.  I did it last year and it wasnt a bad season - finished just over 5000 overall.  Have a read of my review of last season using this same strategy.  Not as bad as you might think.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,21703.0.html

Quote from: marto9532 on January 05, 2011, 10:24:14 PM
2 many collingwood players you won't be able 2 cover them. i'd swap one of didak or thomas

They are the only 2 players out for round 7 in the forward line so should be able to cover and then only Swan in the mids which should be easily covered.

azza_tash

has anyone considered gysberts from melbourne? tore it up on debut at kardinia..