Ablett Jnr.?

Started by GeelongJop, April 23, 2009, 01:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazza16

i believe ablett is way better-
but judd is definately more accomplished- i don't think the ABCLS helps ablett that much- for even when the number 1 tag goes to him, he still racks up 35 odd possesions

Watto

Buddy's a forward

Ablett + Judd are midfielders

AKA They play different jobs Brownmans Muffins

kelso129

you may think im biased being a geelong supporter but...yes judd has won 2 brownlows and a norm smith but how can you say ablett did not deserve the last 2 years brownlows as much as the years judd won them. After all ablett was odds on favourites both years and the public know more about football then the umpires! and ablett was best on in last years grand final but wasnt rewarded because geelong lost.

justJACK

ablet is in a league of his own, although both players alot of the time get the ball handed to them on a silver platter, not saying they dont earn their  ball becuase alot of the time they do, but i think both of their numbers would be lower if they were in an underperforming midfield.

i guess the question u should be asking is,
who dishes it out more
bartel selwood corey

or

murphy gibbs stevens

troy87

JustJack actually Gary Ablett doesn't get it handed to him on a silver platter as he has alot of contested possessions and is generally the one who is in there handballing it out. Against adelaide he had something like 14 contested possessions and 33 handballs he just doesn't goto ground much as he is so strong. The geelong players do protect him, but he definately gets his own ball too.   

hibbo

@ Kelso129

Judd has only won the 1 brownlow medal in 2004. BUT he was well on his way to his second medal in 2007 when he was dominating until his groin gave way. From memory, Judd had 15 votes after 8 rds and was smashing everyone else...but didn't get another vote after that because of injury.

SO what I'm saying is Judd whould've had 2 medals if it wasn't for injury, but I suppose u could say the same about Ablett last year.

At the moment Ablett is way ahead of the rest, but overall IMO Judd just has the wood over him, I think people forget how much of a freak Judd really was.

hibbo

Have to agree with troy there. Not just Ablett. but Judd as well. Those 2 players are the ones getting the hard ball and dishing it out to their respective midfielders...

Hawks_1976

I have Ablett, Bartel, Judd and Franklin in my team so I don't care.
Just keep racking up the scores boys!

Colty

So because Adam Goodes has two Brownlow and a premiership is her better than Ablett???? Just saying medals dont mean everything.

hibbo

Medals do give a pretty good indication but not perfect...

Goodes not better then Ablett, but certainly more accomplished.

brownmans muffins

Quote from: Watto on April 28, 2009, 11:39:21 AM
Buddy's a forward

Ablett + Judd are midfielders

AKA They play different jobs Brownmans Muffins

yep, noted they play different jobs - although that doesn't necessarily stop them from being compared, my view is that "class/calibre"-wise buddy has got nothing on an ablett/judd. i can't think of many current players, any position, that do - not even pavlich, j.brown, cox, hodge etc from other possies.

Scratchy

Look at the Champion Data for an indication of performance. Judd has been a star for many seasons now and has been hindered by his groin at stages, but Ablett is definitely the superior player right now and the past 2 seasons. In terms of their respective midfields Carlton has draft picks 1, 1, 3, and 25 so there is no way you can say that Ablett has an advantage because of his team-mates. As people have said both players get heaps of contested possessions, so the whole question of dishing it out is probably irrelevant.

And finally stop criticising the umpires, the level of football we are seeing right now from Ablett is precisely because he didn't win the Brownlow in 07 or 08. Thank you very much umps!