Pre Season SnapShot - Essendon

Started by HTM, December 30, 2010, 11:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

haha not quite Hurley is gonna be a superstar ;)

hawk_88

Most likely. About time the decision was made whether he should play forward or in defence. Moving between them because the team needs it is going to hinder his development. I suspect Hird will see that this is done though.

nas

Agreed but which is it for Hurley then FWD or DEF?

Cruiseon

Well they need to groom someone in defence pretty quickly, they've already got an extra 3 years out of Fletcher than expected.

If they are relying on a 36 year old to play 22 games this year then the new coaching team should just stay in bed.

Hawka

Boomz

Hurley was basically forced to play down back last season because we didn't have Pears but from what I've heard before Hird see's him as a forward so I'd expect him to go back there this year... This will be fletch's last year I'd hope... Love him & all but it's time to give it up.

bomberboy0618

it would have to be fletchs last year, but i dont want it to be  :'(

Luigi197

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on January 19, 2011, 04:16:38 PM
it would have to be fletchs last year, but i dont want it to be  :'(

yea +1

he has some energy left in him. but i think its better for the club if he retires. gives more room and gets our average player age count downer :P

HTM

Brent Stanton having a very good pre season apparently

hawk_88

I think Hurley is more suited to playing up forward.

Quote from: HTM on January 19, 2011, 07:20:35 PM

They say that about everyone  :P

Justin Bieber

Quote from: BOOMZ on January 19, 2011, 02:20:47 AM
haha not quite Hurley is gonna be a superstar ;)
Well meant in the way he can play both sides of the ground :P.

Quote from: hawka26 on January 19, 2011, 04:09:38 PM
hooker and pears are capable kpp
Both are set to be the stronghold down back after Fletch moves on. Gumby and Hurley will be for the forwards. Then need to build those lines around these 4 players and the midfield around Watson and Ryder/Hille.

hawk_88

Given that coaches will want to keep rucks off the interchange to maintain high rotations, I would imagine that you will see on of Ryder and Hille in the forward line at all times whilst the other takes the ruck work.

I think Hooker will have to develop his reading of the play because he appears to me to be a bit slow which will be to his detriment against quicker big forwards.

Justin Bieber

Hooker is a work in progress. Is a little slow but is a decent KPP we can mould over a few years. Pears is our main man down back. He also lets his opponent be accountable when he counter attacks.

I'd be happy with Ryder/Hille rotating forward. Worked pretty well last season when they did it and gives us an extra tall down there (which we need).

Boomz

Quote from: HTM on January 19, 2011, 07:20:35 PM

He has one every year and then looks like a headless chook once the season starts... Well I'm being harsh we have worse players lol

Pears is great and he will hold together the backline for the next 10 years hopefully. Agree with HP Hooker is a work in progress but he can play.

I agree about our rucks playing up forward more due to the new rules but I think it will be Belly & Ryder as Hille will go down at some stage it's a matter of time his body isn't gonna hold up.