Junktimer's take: FWD: Rookies

Started by Junktimer, December 26, 2010, 08:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Hello all, I'm gonna give my thoughts on what forward's rookies amongst supercoaches should look this year.
PLEASE NOTE 1) All prices are based on m0nty's fanplanner.
2) As I will be talking about rookies who most haven't played a game, most of this will be purely opinionated, as such feedback would be lovely, and just remember that this guide is just one opinion, not gospel.
3) Due to the vast amount of rookies, only those worth considering I will write about.

OVERVIEW
This year in the forwards there are some good rookie options.  First round rookies in Prestia and Smith are good options as well as standard rookies such as Hooper and Darling will tempt many.

STRUCTURE
This year in the midfield I will probably go with a modest 5/1/0/4.  The reason I am likely to go this structure is because I don't think there are many good mid price options to be chosen.  However, there is a case to save money and go more economical.

FIRST-ROUND ROOKIES
First-round rookies are those who were taken in the first 25 picks this year, and thus are more expensive than 87k.  First-round rookies can normally be taken with more confidence than your standard rookie, though this is not always the case.

Dion Prestia- (GC) $172,500, Style- David Rodan
Dion Prestia is a powerful inside midfielder/forward with excellent disposal skills and contested ball-winning ability. Averaged 28 disposals in the TAC Cup and represented Vic Metro in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with an injury curtailing his championships.  Is very, very quick.  Could be MPP FWD/MID.  I think he will get consistent games at Gold Coast as he is described as a ready made player.  Short list.

Tommy Lynch- (GC) $162,500, Style- Scott Gumbleton
Tom is a strong-marking tall forward with a terrific work rate and ability at ground level.  He was impressive for Vic Country in the under-18 championships, where he averaged 13 disposals and four marks.  Very raw, and a KPP, so not sure about how many games for next year.  There are much better options, especially as he is so pricy, unlikely for me.

Lucas Cook- (MEL) $157,500, Style- Brent Staker
Lucas Cook is a tall forward who reads the game well and has sure hands.  He is a mobile player who can go back and makes good decisions. He received under-18 All-Australian honours in 2010 and averaged 14 disposals and kicked nine goals at the under-18 championships.  Much like Lynch in that he is very raw yet pricy, also unlikely.

Isaac Smith- (HAW) $122,500
Isaac Smith is a medium forward who has enjoyed a meteoric rise in recent months. Began the 2010 season playing with Redan in the Ballarat league in central Victoria. Was part of the Victorian team that won the national bush footy championships and was then invited to play with North Ballarat in the VFL. By the end of the year he had played in a VFL premiership. Has exceptional pace, endurance and agility.  Could be listed as MPP FWD/MID.  Like the look of this guy, reckon he will get games, short list.

Jed Lamb- (SYD) $112,500, Style- Mark LeCras
Clever forward with clean hands overhead and at ground level, and has very good awareness. Super-smart goalkicker in all situations, and he showed that for Gippsland in the TAC Cup and Vic Country at the under-18 championships.  Very dangerous around goals.  Not quite sure whether he will get games right away, and could well do what Gary Rohan did, 50/50.

Paddy Karnezis- (BRI) $92,500, Style- Jarrad Waite
Pat Karnezis is a tall forward who is well balanced and team focused, setting up many goals. Also a clever goalkicker and has strong hands. Vic Metro U18s rep in 2010.  Could slot in nicely next to Browny and Fev.  Good chance to play in a rebuilding Brisbane, but their may be better options.  50/50.

NON-DEBUTING ROOKIES
Non-debuting rookies may not be rookies in AFL terms, but still maintain their basement rookies price in Supercoach.  These players have the advantage of having already played a game of AFL, and being in the system for an extra year or two.

Nathan Ablett- (GC), $87,500
Nathan Ablett has impressed on the track since brother Gary arrived. The Suns have a strong defence and stars in the midfield but are light on for goalkicking targets. They will he hoping the younger Ablett can help vill that void.  Has always shown ability, but has lacked passion.  Should get games, but will he commit?  50/50 for me.

STANDARD ROOKIES
These are the rookies who are at basement price, those who were taken in the national draft after round 1 or pre season draft.  There is a large contrast between these picks, so you have to be careful when selecting them.

Mitch W. Brown- (GEE) $87,500, Style- Drew Petrie
Mitch W. Brown is a versatile tall who is both a strong contested mark and clean at ground level. Competitive player who is at his best in hard-fought situations. Second efforts are a feature of his game.  Could slot in along side Pods next year as a key forward or they could play Mooney and Hawkins.  Don't particularly rate his chances of playing 22.  Unlikely.

Johnny Butcher-
(PTA) $87,500, Style- Kurt Tippett/Nick Riewoldt
John Butcher is a versatile key position prospect with great agility and pace for his size. Clean hands and contested marking are features of his game. Extremely impressive at 2009 Draft Camp with his speed (2.99secs for 20m) and repeat sprints (24.88secs) in the top 28 per cent. Kicked 40 goals for the year (Power and Vic Country) and 16 games. Vic Country U18 representative in 2008/09.  Already had a year of development and injury, should play next year under Primus.  Short list.

Jack Darling- (WCE) $87,500, Style- Jonathan Brown/Lance Franklin
Jack Darling is an athletic tall forward who attacks the ball with ferocity and is strong overhead. He provides excellent defensive pressure in the forward 50. He was named in the under-18 All-Australian team in 2009 and again provided an excellent marking target up forward for Western Australia in 2010.  Despite being a relatively tall forward, he should get lots of games next year, short list, close to a lock.

Charlie Dixon- (GC) $87,500
Standing two metres tall, Cairns-raised Charlie Dixon is a physically imposing and creative key forward with strong hands, a raking right boot, uncanny below-the-knee skills, and a real taste for multiple efforts at the fall of the ball.Dixon was a standout at under 18 level for Queensland at the National Championships in 2009.  The 20-year old could slot in straight away at Full Forward at Gold Coast, and should get games, at this stage though, I have Prestia and Matera ahead of him, 50/50.

Alex Fasolo- (COL) $87,500, Style- Paul Chapman
Alex Fasolo is an impressive player for WA in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 19 disposals with 67 per cent efficiency. Good clearance player with good decision-making ability.  Will most likely be MPP FWD/MID.  Collingwood has a wealth of goal kicking midfielders, so selection in the team is unlikely, one to watch for 2012 IMO.  Unlikely for me.

Kieran Harper- (NM) $87,500, Style- Robert Murphy
Kieran Harper is a very quick and skilful player with great goal sense. Can take a contested mark and impact a game. Vic Metro representative in 2010 AFL U18s, kicking seven goals including four against WA.  The Roos don't mind their youth, and I think both him and Atley should find spots in the team next year, on the short list.

Andrew Hooper- (WB) $87,500, Style- Brent Harvey
Attacking forward/defender who wins his own football consistently. Starred for Vic Country at the 2009 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 21 disposals including nine contested. Joint Larke Medal winner and U18 All-Australian. 2.90sec 20m and 7.98sec agility both in top 5 per cent at the 2009 Draft Camp.  Made his debut in the semi final this year, and he should play games next year.  Short listed.

Brandon Matera-
(GC) $87,500
Brandon Matera is a strong, quick and silkily skilled left footer who is equally comfortable scrapping hard in the midfield or conjuring goals as creative small forward, Matera was one of the Gold Coast's most consistent and exciting VFL players this year.He joined the Gold Coast as one of the twelve talented 17 year olds made available to the club under the AFL’s draft concessions.  Very small, but they way he plays he doesn't need to be, should play games.  Short listed.

Steven May- (GC) $87,500
Northen Territory-raised youngster Steven May joined the GC SUNS as a priority zone selection after starring for the Top End at the Under-18 National Championships last year.  His efforts saw him named at full-forward in the AFL Under-18 All-Australian team although his size and athleticism allow him to play equally effectively at either end of the ground.  Known as a powerful and aggressive player with very strong hands on the lead and in contested marking situations, May also has good pace for a strongly built man, reads the play well and possesses a punishing left boot.  Could be a good alternate option, 50/50.

Viv Michie- (FRE) $87,500, Style- Nick Dal Santo
Viv Michie is a well rounded player who is dangerous as a forward and can play midfield or back. Excellent kick and reads the game extremely well. Vic Metro rep in the under-18 championships for 2010, averaging 16 disposals and two goals.  Could have a Nathan-Fyfe like impact next year, but may not play 22, 50/50.

Simon Philips- (PTA) $87,500
Simon "Flipper" Phillips was originally drafted from the Sandringham Dragons part of the TAC Cup, then played for the Sydney Swans. After being delisted he was picked up by Norwood Football Club in the SANFL, before being part of a trade in the 2010 trade week and joining the Power after a successful third season in the SANFL that saw him play in the Redlegs' losing Grand Final side.  The 23-year old could get games as a medium forward, short list.

Bryce Retzlaff- (BRI) $87,500
Bryce Retzlaff is a 19 year-old Queenslander who endured an injury-interrupted year. He played the last six senior games for Labrador in the local QAFL where he played between centre half-back and centre half-forward - showing plenty of promise in both positions.  He was best on ground in the Shanghai Showdown played against Melbourne.  The huge man (195cm) could well play round 1, and is an MPP (F/B) option.  Will watch pre season, short list.

Daniel Talia- (ADE) $87,500, Style- Nick Riewoldt
Daniel Talia is a versatile key position player who can play well at either end. Clean hands and great endurance for his size are strengths. Hamstring injury bought his 2008 season to an early end and although nearly fully recovered, was unable to participate at Draft Camp. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009, winning All-Australian honours.  Didn't play a game in 2010 for Adelaide.  Talia is an MPP option who is a good chance to play next year, but still may need development.  Will watch pre season, a 50/50 for me.

Luke Tapscott- (MEL) $87,500, Style- Shaun Higgins
Luke Tapscott is a powerful forward/midfielder with great hands. Foot skills and ball winning abilities are both exceptional. Strong performer for SA at NAB AFL U18 Championships with 30 inside-50s, nine goals and All-Australian honours.  Tapscott missed 2010 with a hip injury, but should play in 2010.  Short list him.

Luke Breust- (HAW) 77,400
Luke Breust is a teenage small forward from New South Wales spent his entire first season in the VFL. Started in the Box Hill reserves but showed solid form and forced his way into the senior side. Performed consistently, with his goal sense and ball use particularly impressive.  He will try and crack into the team next year, IMO he will compete with Hallahan for that last midfield spot.  50/50.

Ian Callinan- (ADE) $77,400
Ian Callinan is a mature rover who dominated the SANFL to the extent that warrants being granted a chance despite his advanced years. Similar size to Brent Harvey. Plays in a similar fashion without quite the pace. Kicks goals. Finishing skills are faultless.  The mature rover could be another Pods, who knows?  Could be one to watch pre season, short list.

Dylan McNeil- (SYD) $77,400, Style- Lenny Hayes/Simon Black
Dylan McNeil is an attacking midfielder who captained NSW/ACT in NAB AFL U18 Championships and won the Hunter Harrison Medal for best player in division two as well as All-Australian honours. Courageous player who excels at clearances.  Draft Camp level 14.2 beep test confirmed his endurance to run all day. Best and Fairest for Murray Bushrangers averaging 22 disposals including eight contested.  Could play next year, and will compete with Parker IMO.  Short list.

Tommy Walsh- (STK) $77,400
One of the star players of Gaelic football, Walsh joined the Saints last October as an international rookie for two years after trialling with the club in 2008. A strong and dominant forward, the big-framed Walsh is notably quick and agile for his size. Played alongside the Sydney Swans’ Tadhg Kennelly in County Kerry’s All-Ireland champion team.  Said to be taking up a key position role in 2011.  50/50 for me.

pyronerd

again another superb write-up JT, this one should help me i always have difficulty choosing rookies  :)

Junktimer

haha thanks pyro yeah thats the end of these for now, done all the possies.

forward rookies are always hard to pick so i hope it helps

nas

MajorLazer

Great collection Junk. ;D
Thankyou very much.

Junktimer

Junktimer

Wilkopolis

This is great info Junktimer, I've been struggling the most with my forward structure this year (along with the mids).

Mitch Brown is highly regarded down at Geelong.  I think he has suffered 2 broken legs in two years so it's not like he has ongoing issues with soft tissue injuries.  Obviously it's early days but I reckon Geelong will play him early and often.  Considering I'm not looking at any other Geelong forwards this guy is a serious contender for my team.

Likewise John Butcher who was also a first round pick.  Looked to be drafted as an obvious replacement for Tredrea.  Couldn't get on the field last year and I think he will be given every chance to develop this year.

Take those two, plus Tapscott, Retzlaff as a DPP combo with Waite, Matera, and one other (maybe another GC forward like Ablett, Smith, McNeil for DPP flexibility with the mids or maybe Philips) and there is a strong argument to start 2-3 rookies on the field in the forward line next year.

Junktimer

thanks wilkopolis, appreciate it.

i agree with everything you said, nice little wrap up.  just dont forget about jack darling

Wilkopolis

Quotejust dont forget about jack darling

Ummm, OK I wont forget about Jack....honey

Junktimer

bomberboy0618

you legend jt, i struggle picking players, all ur guides have helped :D
thanks!

Hawka

awesome write up

think im gona go Isac smith,n.abblet,and andrew hooper at this stage but there will b more fwd rookies for me

Junktimer

thanks hawka and BB glad i could help.

Aidans Blues

Thanks JT, have enjoyed all your write ups, great stuff!