Starting rookies

Started by Joshy11, December 24, 2010, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j959

Quote from: dyslexiauntied on December 27, 2010, 12:35:07 PM
Nick Lower could be worth a punt on due to Anthony Morabito being out for the season. Roger Hayden being out for the first half of the season. Or is he too expensive being around 140 to 150 grand?
i reckon depth charts will point you away from Lower because other mature age recruits like Faulks and Mzungu will be ahead of him as well as last year's rookies like Silvangi and Roberton ...

i've got Mzungu on the radar but have seen some speculation he may not be picked to play Rd1

valkorum

From all the training reports I have read Mzungu is carving it up during pre-season.  Still... have to wait and see on the Wednesday/Thursday before round 1

McRooster

Quote from: Joshy11 on December 24, 2010, 10:47:59 PM
Quote from: Hellopplz on December 24, 2010, 10:45:01 PM
I think he's throwing up which rookies are worth considering for a starting position.

Exactly what im asking :)
Coad, mature strong body and can go forward - with the young GC side lacking a bit up forward he may be utilised up front to pinch hit with a few.

Junktimer

roost your a SANFL man, how was Nick Duigan's year?

elephants

Quote from: j959 on December 29, 2010, 07:04:12 PM
Nick Lower could be worth a punt on due to Anthony Morabito being out for the season. Roger Hayden being out for the first half of the season. Or is he too expensive being around 140 to 150 grand?
i reckon depth charts will point you away from Lower because other mature age recruits like Faulks and Mzungu will be ahead of him as well as last year's rookies like Silvangi and Roberton ...

i've got Mzungu on the radar but have seen some speculation he may not be picked to play Rd1

got a source mate? i thought he was chopping up freo training ?

McRooster

Quote from: Junktimer on December 30, 2010, 02:06:26 PM
roost your a SANFL man, how was Nick Duigan's year?
Played a great game in the SANFL GF, one of Norwoods best. They went down by six points but Duig's led from defence with gut run and a loud voice. He has struggled with injury in the past but this season has seemed to have found a regime which works for his body and with his maturity and good decision making could fit straight in to a Thornton type role at the Blues.

j959

Quote from: elephants on December 30, 2010, 02:32:57 PM
Quote from: j959 on December 29, 2010, 07:04:12 PM

got a source mate? i thought he was chopping up freo training ?
g'day le, have been watching the AFL website reports that Mzungu is tearing up the training track so would be surprised if he's not in the mix but here is the source - Sunday Times (News Ltd/Herald Sun affiliate) here's the link:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/four-in-fremantles-debut-mix-for-round-1-2011/story-e6frg21l-1225976155042

they've got Faulks on the ground with Mzungu, Silvangi and Van Berlo as emergencies - not even on the bench or sub!

elephants

hey j,

thanks mate :) thats a bit of a shock, i suppose you could say faulks would play a different role to mzungu but i thought that mzungu would be in their best 22 ?? oh well thanks for the heads up mate better watch pre season then :)

Junktimer

great stuff j, interesting to see faulks named ahead of mzungu.  if thats the case, I'll take Faulks instead.

elephants

i thought faulks was a kpp ? oh well i think i will stick with mzungu, much better scoring potential :)

Junktimer

Faulks is mostly a full back, big defender.

ill pick Mzungu if both named, but if only Faulks is named, I'll choose him

elephants

valkorum

Quote from: j959 on December 30, 2010, 02:58:01 PM
g'day le, have been watching the AFL website reports that Mzungu is tearing up the training track so would be surprised if he's not in the mix but here is the source - Sunday Times (News Ltd/Herald Sun affiliate) here's the link:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/four-in-fremantles-debut-mix-for-round-1-2011/story-e6frg21l-1225976155042

they've got Faulks on the ground with Mzungu, Silvangi and Van Berlo as emergencies - not even on the bench or sub!

I have just re-read the article and I don't think that it means that Mzungu is not likely to get an early debut.

QuoteWhile Anthony, Griffin, Faulks and Mzungu are likely to offer an injection of new blood early in the piece, first-round debuts are unlikely for the trio of young Victorians taken by the Dockers in the national draft.

Read it as 2 sentences and it makes more sense to me.

While Anthony, Griffin, Faulks and Mzungu are likely to offer an injection of new blood early in the piece.  First-round debuts are unlikely for the trio of young Victorians taken by the Dockers in the national draft

Mzungu isn't from Vic, he was drafted from WA and was acquired during trade week, not the national draft.

nas

Mzungu isn't from Vic, he was drafted from WA and was acquired during trade week, not the national draft.

Makes it a bit clearer now

valkorum

Quote from: naste on December 30, 2010, 05:18:12 PM

Makes it a bit clearer now

The 3 guys we got in the draft are all from Vic.