Economically Speaking....

Started by ossie85, December 23, 2010, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

This may sound a bit weird, I apologise in advance! But sometimes I think we look at a players price and it isn't a true reflection of their cost. By my count, every player's cost is $77,400 over valued on the fan-planner. Why? Hear me out.

Say you're going into DVD store. You pick up the latest Twilight Saw movie, and see the price of it is $25. Alas, you look into your wallet, and you see you only have $20. $5 too short, and you get to keep your $20 to spend another day. However, when you get home, your dear old Aunt Mavis gives you a $20 DVD voucher for that same DVD store. You give your Aunt a peck on her surprisingly hairy cheek, and bound back down to the store.

Again, you pick up your Twilight Saw DVD, and now, you only have to pay $5! Everything in the store is now effectively $20 cheaper! So you start to think, "hmmm, what else can I buy?" So you walk around and see a limited edition New Moon (you just can't lie to yourself anymore) DVD for $39! Knowing that it is now only $19, you buy it, and go home a happy fanboy.

This is what I think we're missing in SC (and that lesser beast DT) comps. We've effectively been given 33 vouchers worth $77,400 to spend on each player. Why? Because $77,400 is the MINIMUM you have to spend on any player in order to enter the competition.

So Brendon Goddard is really $581,200, not $658,600. David Swallow is really $135,100 instead of $212,500 and - you guessed it - players like Dylan McNeil, normally valued at $77,400 - are actually FREE.

The flip side is that you have to adjust your budget. Where before your budget was $10,000,000, it is now:

$10,000,000 minus 33*$77,400

= $7,445,800

So, in reality, it doesn't really change a thing. It is just a different way of thinking. As much as m0nty's fanplanner is great, I have my own spreadsheet for selecting a team cos it's a lot faster. I selected a team using this method and I'm very happy with the results :)

I may attach the spreadsheet(s) at a later date if people are interested.

Thoughts?

Junktimer

interesting theory.. would be interested to see that spreadsheet you have

MajorLazer

Interesting way of looking at it Ossie. Never really thought of it like that.

pyronerd

it definitely is a different, and a correct way to look at the salary cap, for me though i dont think it will make any difference to how i pick my team

Fletch74

Economically speaking you are correct Ossie ;)

You make a solid point in that everybody starts with the same base, so if you wanted to do a regression analysis based on the players value against their points scored (based on last year), you would have to make "a" equal to $77,400 in the formula y=a+bx, or as Ossie suggested adjust the formula to y=bx with "a" equalling zero.

I plan to make a spreadsheet during January using this basis to see the over/under performers, and then when the season gets under way, see how they perform against that.

Would be interested in seeing what you've done Ossie ;)

ossie85

Xactly Fletch!

I also think it is rigged so that players can't go under $77,400 (Relton Roberts if only he had played one more game would have tested that theory).

At the moment it stands that the lower the average for a player, the better "value" (dollars per point) they are. But clearly that's not best for selecting a team!

Fletch74

Yes, it would have been interesting to see what happened with Relton. I reckon he would have gone below the magical figure.

For me, it's just a minimum starting base, any movement after that is not influenced by the starting base.

Maca24

seems to me like your overthinking it a bit  :)

Boomz

Way to complicated for my small brain but whatever that means it sounds... interesting ;)

Justin Bieber

I get what you mean. It won't change things but sees it from a different angle.

Something interesting to think about.....

Master Q

Agree with HP.

But if some players are Free, what is the BE? and can they drop price?

Junktimer

Quote from: Master Q on December 23, 2010, 05:48:09 PM
Agree with HP.

But if some players are Free, what is the BE? and can they drop price?

good point, i think that even though the MN might permit them to go below should they average 3; i think that it is impossible to drop price

Master Q

Making everyone 77k cheaper will mess up the BE system I think anyway, won't it?

ossie85

Quote from: Master Q on December 23, 2010, 06:50:59 PM
Making everyone 77k cheaper will mess up the BE system I think anyway, won't it?

Yes. But you're missing the point. I'm not proposing a new system, just a different basis we should be selecting our teams on.

Knowall

Quote from: ossie85 on December 23, 2010, 08:21:39 PM
Quote from: Master Q on December 23, 2010, 06:50:59 PM

Yes. But you're missing the point. I'm not proposing a new system, just a different basis we should be selecting our teams on.
Yea i understand what you mean, but as others say probally will not change my selections-but its very creative and interesting way to look at it