Junktimer's take: MID: Mid pricers and Cheapies

Started by Junktimer, December 21, 2010, 12:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Hello all, I'm gonna give my thoughts on what midfields's mid pricers and cheapies amongst supercoaches should look this year.
PLEASE NOTE: All prices are based on m0nty's fanplanner.

OVERVIEW
This year in midfield there are a few mid pricers at a tasty price, with a few cheapie targets such as Daniel Harris and Brock McLean.  Popular mid pricers include Liam Anthony and Nathan Foley.

STRUCTURE 
This year in the midfield I will probably go with a modest 2/2/0/5.  The reason I am likely to be going this is because of a few great mid price and rookie options this year.  However, there is more of a case to go more premium heavy or on the other token to start more rookies.

MID PRICERS
My definition of a mid pricer is not by average, as many have discounts.  I believe a mid pricer is a player who is in the 250k-450k bracket.  You always have to be careful with mid pricers, and they are definitely not something i would have too many of in a team.  Many mid pricers burned coaches this year, and they have to be treated with caution, however if used correctly, they can be a revelation for coaches because they are effectively a cheap premium.

Colin Sylvia- $445,000
Colin Sylvia shows massive potential as a SC Premium.  It's always a gutsy move to pick this guy.  And his standard deviation of 29.7 and his 6 scores under 76 in 15 games reflect his inconsistency.  However, he definitely shows signs, with 6 tons out of those 15 games.  Overall, I think as he grows, as his team grows, his consistency will increase.  MPP is a bonus, short list, most likely as a forward though.

Joel Corey- $444,100
Joel Corey was hampered this year through injury.  His average of 87.8 whilst not terrible, was unlike the player that Joel Corey is.  For evidence, Corey's averages over the last three years was 107.9, 108.9 and 107.5.  Very impressive from the underrated gun.  With Ablett gone, I can see Corey playing an even more prominent role in the Cattery's midfield.  Will watch him pre season, on the short list.

Tom Rockliff- $434,600
Tom Rockliff was a revelation for coaches in 2010.  He may not, however be the best option for one in 2011.  Due to his impressive average of 85.9, he is now priced very highly for somebody who has played 20 games for his career.  Whilst his last half of the year was scintillating, he is more of a DTer and second year blues may kick in on the ball magnet.  Unlikely for me.

Leigh Adams-
$431,200
Leigh Adams has had a solid year, the 22-year old made a bigger name for himself this year, averaging a solid 85.  He has only played 23 games.  His 15 games this year were a tad inconsistent, 6 scores under 75 but on the other hand, got 5 centuries.  The relatively unknown lad could have a breakout year in 2011 and is a chance to be FWD/MID.  50/50.

Steele Sidebottom- $427,000
Sidey is an interesting one for coaches.  One of three Pie high scoring MPP FWD/MID along with Thomas and Didak.  However I feel Sidebottom could be the most popular out of the 3.  Showed a lot in the Grand Final, and is highly rated amongst Collingwood.  Didn't bring the house down this year in SC, but has high potential.  Turns 20 in a fortnight.  Short listed as a forward, unlikely as a mid though.

Josh P. Kennedy- $409,600
After making the switch from the Hawkers due to lack opportunity, Kennedy played 22 games for the Swans, with an average of 81.  After starting slowly this year, Kennedy's last 4 games of the H&A season, Kennedy got three tons.  Also got tons in both finals games they played.  Finished the season really well at his new club and could be a smoky for next year.  Still unlikely for me though.

Jared Brennan- $394,400
The #3 Draft Pick has always been touted as a super talent.  The massive midfield/forward was in the spot light during trade week and ended at Gold Coast.  He has always been full of flair, but is quite inconsistent.  1 in 2 of his games he scores below 70.  Could have a big year now that he is a senior player at a young side.  50/50, only consider as a forward.

Bernie Vince-
$392,900
Throughout 2010, everybody was waiting for Bernie Vince to improve, to return to his 2009 form.  Those who did not have had him on their short list, waiting for the right price, those who had him quickly disposed of him.  Sadly, in 2010, he was cheap for a reason.  His average of 77.6 was 20 less than his 09 average.  If he can recapture some of his 09 form, jump on.  Don't have the guts to start with him, but if he starts well i may jump on mid season.

Stephen Hill-
$386,300
Docker fans are excited at the lightning fast prospect that is Stephen Hill.  Hill is a gamebreaker who showed plenty of signs this year, scoring 6 tons.  Was inconsistent this year, with a standard deviation of 32.5, but coaches can be confident that as he grows, his consistency enhances with him.  Durable, played 43 out 44 possible games since debut.  Awkward price range, so I will have to say 50/50, again I may jump on mid season.

Liam Anthony- $377,100
Averaging 96 in 2009, Anthony was a great cash cow, starting the 2010 season with an amazing price of 505k.  He rewarded those who payed top dollar for him by averaging a very solid 95.  His season was cut short when he succumbed to a horrific shoulder dislocation, hence he only played 7 games, making his price for 2011 undervalued.  Definite short list.

Tom Scully- $359,500
The #1 Draft Pick of 2009 had a nice start to his career, playing 21 out of 22 games.  Averaging a solid 71 SC per game, Scully maintains a manageable price, unlike rookies of previous years such as Jack Grimes and Liam Anthony.  Many believe that though this will be Scully's second year, that he will be a very valuable pick up due to his class he showed in his first year.  I would say unlikely for me, though I think lock and load for 2012.

Patty Dangerfield- $353,500
Ah, this guy.  One of fantasy's many whipping boys, Dangerfield burned coaches who invested faith in him this year.  You can't blame them, it was his 3rd year, he was set to break out, sadly, he didn't.  Going in to his 4th year, will fantasy coaches (re)invest their faith in him?  Time will tell.  For me, I think it is unlikely, however in a few years time, it could be a different story.

Andrew Walker- $349,900
Thought I'd chuck in a smoky here.  The #2 Draft Pick has never quite lived up to the high expectations such draft picks are given.  Has been hampered by injuries since almost day 1, and has only played one full season in 2005.  Been promised a midfield role by Brett Ratten after almost being traded off, Walker could be a unique which may turn out well.  Despite this, I would say the DEF/MID MPP is an unlikely addition into my team.

Justin Sherman- $324,500
After averaging an impressive 91 in 2009, Justin Sherman had a very poor 2010.  It could have been due to the club's failures, or various injury clouds.  Either way, the man has always had a bit of flair, but has lacked consistency his whole career.  Now at the Doggies, could Rocket Eade revitalize him? His previous inconsistency won't be tolerated at a club with its Premiership window open.  The Doggies move has turned him into a straight no to an unlikely for me.

Richard Tambling- $306,500
Richard Tambling will always be remembered by Tiger fans as the guy who could have been Buddy.  Whilst he hasn't been terrible, there has always been a slight resentment from Tiger fans to Tambo due to what could have been.  As such, a club move was imperative.  New coach, new team mates, new city, new club, could this be what Tambling needs?  Very cheap, he averaged 90 in 2009.  If he could repeat his 09 form, who knows?  Not sure whether I can take a punt on him, but he could be a good pick up.  Unlikely though.

Daniel Kerr $300,400
Daniel Kerr is a shadow of what he was a few years ago.  This year, he averaged 74.2, in 2007, he averaged 119.7.  Looking at this, it appears he is a little bit of a downhill skier.  Goes great when Juddy and Cuz are around, can't be counted on when it's all up to him though.  I will look at him because he is a genuinely good player, his injuries and suspensions (see tribunal history  :o) will frustrate those who pick him.  If he has a big preseason, I may consider this fallen superstar, 50/50.

Nathan Foley-
$283,700
Axel, when fit and firing, is easily one of Richmond's best players.  Whilst this may not be saying much, at 283k if he is fit he ridiculously under priced.  Before his ankle injury kicked in last year, he has been a very consistent scorer.  However it is unknown whether he will ever return to his peak after this serious injury.  I will watch his pre season, if he tears it up, lock and load.

Mitch Duncan- $263,400
I doubt many would have considered Mitch Duncan for 2011.  However I think there may be a case for him, even though he only played 8 games this year at an average of 58, Duncan is highly rated amongst Bunyip's mob.  The fellas at DT Talk predict a major increase in Duncan's performance next year, and with the recent absences at Geelong, the 19-year old could get more games next year.  MPP helps.  Could be a smoky, but still unlikely for me.

Ricky Petterd- $254,400
Petterd played the first 6 games of 2010, averaging 84.  In round 6, however a Liam Anthony-like shoulder injury stopped what could have been a break out year for the young forward.  If he is the same as the aforementioned price tag, he definitely should be short listed, however I believe there is a very good chance he will only be a FWD and will be a lot more expensive as I don't think he will get a 40% discount. 

Bachar Houli- $253,100
I included Bachar due to his amazing popularity amongst this forum, however I think a lot of it is taken away now that he is no longer listed as a defender/midfielder in the fanplanner.  Playing 26 games over 4 years for the Dons, he was never able to crack into the team.  However I think he will slot in nicely to the Tiges outfit.  However selection in my team is very unlikely if he is only a midfielder. 

Brodie Martin-
$250,300
Martin has only played 4 games over 2 years, but he is one who definitely has to be looked at for 2011.  In those 4 games, he has got two centuries, one being on his debut, and in the last game for 2010 for the Crows, he scored 100.  If his body could finally hold up for him, he could be a real smoky, as I think he has got a lot of ability.  Watch NAB Cup, short list.

CHEAPIES
A cheapie is basically somebody who is below 250k, who isn't a rookie.  The fanplanner doesn't differentiate between rookies and cheapies and as such David Swallow is listed as a cheapie.  Cheapies are useful due to their tiny price and there potential money making ability.

Hamish Hartlett-
$232,100
Hamstring Hamish* Hartlett is a super talent who has never really been able to get his body right.  Managing 15 games over the last two years, if he can sort his hamstring out, Primus will play him.  I really like this player, and he has got a lot of ability.  A score of 124 this year stopped him from being nearly rookie priced.  Will watch how he goes pre season, unlikely though.

Daniel Harris-
$224,500
The removal of Daniel Harris happened very quickly from the Roos.  In their leadership group one year, out the next.  Daniel Harris has come back though, and is now playing a leadership rold at the Gold Coast Suns.  The captain of their VFL side, I can see Harris getting quite a few games next year, helping out prodigies Swallow, Bennell and Caddy through the midfield.  Averaged 86 from 2006-08, and is cheap as chips.  Short list.

Luke Shuey- $224,000
Shuey has had a terrible run of injuries throughout his career, but in the 6 games he managed this year, he definitely showed signs.  By all reports the Marcellin boy will be a gun and could be a great alternate option for coaches in 2011.  Good under pressure, earned 40 points for kicking a tying goal in round 20 against the Power.  Will watch him NAB Cup, short listed.

Brock McLean-
$215,900
Since his move to Carlton, McLean has been unable to find a place in the team, albeit most of the year he was suffering from a hip injury.  Has never averaged huge amounts in SC, but will play if he gets his body right.  The recent retirement of Richard Hadley opens up the hard man role which his highly valued.  I think he is very good value for 2011, you have to remember he is a genuinely good player, for this reason, short list.

Jordan Gysberts-
$203,300
In his first two games of senior footy, he impressed many and hence sucked many in for what was one of the worst trades they could have done.  Many would have scars on him for this, but I think he could be a good pick up for 2011.  Will slot in the Dees midfield nicely next year.  NAB Cup will be what I base this decision on, 50/50.

Byron Schammer- $193,900
Never really rated this guy as a player, but he is ridiculously cheap.  The man butchers balls so badly he can be used as a contraceptive.  Despite his recent short comings, if he can break into their team, he could be a real smoky.  Wouldn't mind a Freo's supporters opinion on his chances next year, but I think as Freo rebuild, he is not part of their future plans.  Unlikely for me.

Nathan Djerrkura- $192,200
Bit of a no-namer, left Geelong due to lack of opportunity.  He only played 4 games in 4 years at the club.  Don't know too much about the guy, but could add to Buldogs' run off half forward.  Can't see him getting too many games, but will look out for him.  Very unlikely.

MajorLazer

It's hard to choose anyone from here because I don't think I will have any mid-pricers in the mids.

Great as usual Junk. ;D

Junktimer

yeah i know.  had to do it though for that sense of completeness.

thanks

MajorLazer

Of course. I am looking at Sidebottom, but for my forwards.

May take either Anthony or Foley, but I will probably go with the Premium/Rookie Strategy.

Justin Bieber

Another nice write up JT. I've noticed they all come after midnight most of the time :P.

A few could find their way into my team but really only 3-4 guys have any real chance.

j959

Fantastic once again JT - thumbs up.

lol, love the 'imagery' (geezus, so far removed from high school the literary term escapes me - like a 'similie' but not) in the Schammer write-up, "butchers balls so badly he can be used as a contraceptive."!!  ;)

being a Freo 'sympathiser' my take on him is you shouldn't touch him cos he's not even guaranteed a game. would think depth charts will put him very much out in the fringes.

L Anthony short-list for sure. fan of Petterd but take him as a fwd, wouldn't take him as a mid unless really need the MPP switch option.

dilemmas are B McLean and Shuey - both could rip it up if inj-free.
can't personally fit Daniel Harris as want D Swallow and 2 GCs would make things difficult. Foley may not fit the structure if going for gun/rookies midfield.

Thanks again JT, love your work.

Junktimer

thanks j and hp.

in terms of the schammer one, some of my finest work there i reckon eh j?  ;)

j959

Quote from: Junktimer on December 21, 2010, 03:02:58 AM
thanks j and hp.

in terms of the schammer one, some of my finest work there i reckon eh j?  ;)
i'm sure if i go thru your other write-ups i'll find some more 'gold'!  ;)

what's the word i'm looking for?? you teenagers should know - is it metaphor?? or am I getting it wrong and it's a similie??

i'm off to sleep ... g'night you hard-cores ...

Junktimer

Junktimer

Quote from: Hellopplz on December 21, 2010, 01:29:51 AM
I've noticed they all come after midnight most of the time :P.

good spot, yeah thats the time when i have the most spare time

Barlow 21

Well done Junky
Schammer is a "no touch" one for SC.

nas

Great write up and burning the midnight candle as well. Keep it up as appreciated.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Junktimer on December 21, 2010, 03:08:37 AM
yeah a play on words maybe

not too sure
Play on words would be a Pun ;). And I would say it's a metaphor, I think :P.

I had Schammer in my team in 2009 :P. Was suprisingly good first half of the year. But then didn't trade him out *facepalm.

Junktimer

thanks naste and barlow.

yeah i dont think schammer is great option HP

Barlow 21

Quote from: Hellopplz on December 21, 2010, 01:26:50 PM
Quote from: Junktimer on December 21, 2010, 03:08:37 AM
yeah a play on words maybe

not too sure
Play on words would be a Pun ;). And I would say it's a metaphor, I think :P.

I had Schammer in my team in 2009 :P. Was suprisingly good first half of the year. But then didn't trade him out *facepalm.
You had Schammer! :o