Main Menu

N.Van Berlo!!

Started by HillHero13, December 08, 2010, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillHero13

McRooster

After Bock left, there really was nobody else.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106034/default.aspx

Scott Stevens, Ben Rutten, Michael Doughty and Scott Thompson complete the leadership group for 2011.

Brad Symes and Ivan Maric have been left off the 7 man leadership group of 2010.

nas

Thought that Scott might of got it tho.

McRooster

Captaincy was the dangled carrot held in front of Van Berlo to stop him returning to Perth. Decision was made long ago I feel to stop any moves of him going home.
Let's hope his back is finally sorted and we don't have to sit through a Ricciutoish period of being led from the sidelines.

Again leading the pre season time trials shows he's got no problem running but it is the extension of his leg that restricts his kicking distance (lower back related), when he tries kicking the ball past 35m it refers the pain into his back. Operation last season has freed it a little but he still does not kick it very far.

nas

Do you think (as asked before) that Scotty didn't get the Captaincy because of the vehicle problem he brought on last year or that prior going to the Demons played for the Port Magpies or both?

McRooster

Quote from: naste on December 08, 2010, 07:26:24 PM
Do you think (as asked before) that Scotty didn't get the Captaincy because of the vehicle problem he brought on last year or that prior going to the Demons played for the Port Magpies or both?
Thommo has matured on field and off-field, the 'car burnout saga' is long gone and he has shown real leadership around the club plus his media work locally will take the heat off Van Berlo doing alot of that.

Unfortunately he will always be a Magpie  :P but that will not sway club hierarchy either way.

BoredSaint

Good Choice.. I reckon he will be a terrific leader.. hopefully can lift his SC and DT scores too :D

Justin Bieber

Quote from: naste on December 08, 2010, 07:03:38 PM
Thought that Scott might of got it tho.
I would of preferred Thompson as well but Van Berlo had been favourite for quite some time now.

nas

Unfortunately he will always be a Magpie  :P but that will not sway club hierarchy either way.

Sorry mate but 100% disagree with that statement.

McRooster

Those down at Crowland have always held the boys from down the road in the highest of regard and get fair and equal billing always.

Just look at the fine decision by our pioneering coach Graham Cornes that allowed Scott Hodges to have a rest during the 93 prelim, now that's looking after a Magpie  :P

Graham even secretly loved the Port so much he did bequeath his two first born sons to the Power.

Greg Anderson, Simon Tregenza, Scott Hodges, Andrew McLeod, David Brown, etc. the list is endless of cross town love for the boys from down the road  :-*

Do you not feel that love naste   ;)

nas

HaHa You of all people would love Trigger as he was the poor unfortunate person who allowed his opponet in the 3rd term being Craig Burton.

yep lots of love.

I'll find it n post it in the SANFL news for you.

nah changed my mind.

▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼

nas

1989 PORT ADELAIDE 15-18 (108) defeated North Adelaide 1-8 (14)
The infamous “one goal in mind” final. Port Adelaide and North Adelaide were clearly the best two sides of 1989, and after a competitive 2nd Semi Final between the two, the Grand Final promised to be a classic. Unfortunately it was not to be as Port led North 9-7 to 0-3 at half time. The game was over and final score was merely academic. North Adelaide kicked their first and only goal in the 3rd term from the boot of Craig Burton. Port turned a 65 point ¾ time lead into a 94 point victory. Captain Russell Johnston and Andrew Obst were best with Scott Hodges and Darren Smith booting 4 goals each for the Magpies, whilst captain Darel Hart was the Roosters’ best.

McRooster

Quote from: naste on December 11, 2010, 05:29:30 PM
HaHa You of all people would love Trigger as he was the poor unfortunate person who allowed his opponet in the 3rd term being Craig Burton.

yep lots of love.

I'll find it n post it in the SANFL news for you.
Just following Mick Nunan's orders, to just go out there with one goal in mind  :D

I'm wondering now though if AAMI Stadium catering or the Crows will do a sponsorship deal with VB (Van Berlo), horrible beer but marketing might cash in on the associated paraphernalia.

McRooster

Quote from: naste on December 11, 2010, 05:31:55 PM
1989 PORT ADELAIDE 15-18 (108) defeated North Adelaide 1-8 (14)
The infamous “one goal in mind” final. Port Adelaide and North Adelaide were clearly the best two sides of 1989, and after a competitive 2nd Semi Final between the two, the Grand Final promised to be a classic. Unfortunately it was not to be as Port led North 9-7 to 0-3 at half time. The game was over and final score was merely academic. North Adelaide kicked their first and only goal in the 3rd term from the boot of Craig Burton. Port turned a 65 point ¾ time lead into a 94 point victory. Captain Russell Johnston and Andrew Obst were best with Scott Hodges and Darren Smith booting 4 goals each for the Magpies, whilst captain Darel Hart was the Roosters’ best.
squeezed it in before me  :P I was thinking the same reference, great minds eh  :P

BoredSaint